Tuning For tuning and related discussions

Tune questions. Pros and cons. ZZP vs Trifecta vs HP tuners?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tune questions. Pros and cons. ZZP vs Trifecta vs HP tuners?!

Im sure this thread is somewhere out there but I need to know soon. What is the best tune out there. I need pros and cons for all three. I really don't want to pay the hefty price for the HP tune but it lets you do pretty much everything you want. Zzp on the other hand is a great tune as well from what I hearing same with trifecta. But trifecta allows you to setup your own launch control and that is kindof a must have for me because I drag race a lot. Just let me know which route I should go down. Thanks
Old 12-26-2014, 12:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
buy it once and do it right, HPtuners is not the cheapest but by far the best tool for tuning.
trifecta seems cheap at first but if you need a retune it will cost like $150 everytime you need to get retuned and wait for a month(not exaggerating) HPtuners will allow you to change the launch control as well.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by nathan112i
buy it once and do it right, HPtuners is not the cheapest but by far the best tool for tuning.
trifecta seems cheap at first but if you need a retune it will cost like $150 everytime you need to get retuned and wait for a month(not exaggerating) HPtuners will allow you to change the launch control as well.
Which will give the most power?
Old 12-26-2014, 01:11 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
youre really comparing apples and oranges.

hptuners is a user tuning system. you can buy the software yourself and learn to self tune, or find someone with the software nearby that can tune your car for you. prices for someone else to tune varies from 150-400$$ typically. keep in mind that the cost of credits to tune our car with hptuners is $100. when you buy hpt, you have enough credits to tune 4 cars out of the box.

trifecta does all the work for you. sends you a box with a tune, you do some logs, send them back the data and they write a tune for you and send it back to you. you load it and are good to go. this method is fairly expensive if you rent the black box.

zzp uses hptuners. if you dont have the software, you have to buy an ecu, or send your ecu to get a canned tune.

if you are interested in learning to tune, browse the hptuner forums. theres some lnf guides in the 4 cylinder pages. its nice to have the ability to tune at your own leisure.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by southal cobalt
youre really comparing apples and oranges.

hptuners is a user tuning system. you can buy the software yourself and learn to self tune, or find someone with the software nearby that can tune your car for you. prices for someone else to tune varies from 150-400$$ typically. keep in mind that the cost of credits to tune our car with hptuners is $100. when you buy hpt, you have enough credits to tune 4 cars out of the box.

trifecta does all the work for you. sends you a box with a tune, you do some logs, send them back the data and they write a tune for you and send it back to you. you load it and are good to go. this method is fairly expensive if you rent the black box.

zzp uses hptuners. if you dont have the software, you have to buy an ecu, or send your ecu to get a canned tune.

if you are interested in learning to tune, browse the hptuner forums. theres some lnf guides in the 4 cylinder pages. its nice to have the ability to tune at your own leisure.
I don't want to self tune. I want to leave that to the professionals that have been doing this for a long time. so if tis is the case should I go with trifecta or zzp?
Old 12-26-2014, 01:24 AM

hp tuners will most likely net you the most power if you have a good tuner, but as southal cobalt said you will need to drop another $400 for someone to tune your car or learn how to tune yourself,
Old 12-26-2014, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Read thru the thread should help you a bit. But you have been answered hptuners is the best option, then i would say zzp and lastly trifecta for the waiting times for get your tune updated

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l...-tunes-208105/
Old 12-26-2014, 01:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Take in mind a lot of Hp tuner bias in here.

You will get a bit more power on Hpt. IF you find a solid tuner. But you will spend more money.

Trifecta never charged me for updates, but than again I'm only a simple bolt on man. Their responses are a lot faster now. Especially since they are trying to capture some Cadillac business.

I like the fact Trifecta is
1: Simple
2: Cheap
3: Select-a-tune feature (15 and 23 psi modes)

If you're going big turbo with a lot of money invested go Hpt for the gains. Gotta pay 2 win.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Good luck getting a Trifecta tune, they don't even respond to emails anymore. I emailed them a few times about a retune about 3 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything back.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:59 PM

There is no bias. Hpt and trifecta are two totally different things. And they are treated as such. It's like comparing a steak to a salad
Old 12-26-2014, 07:10 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Trifecta is safe. 75 bucks for a retune, doesn't make as much power as HPT.

HPT varies by tuner, can be crappy, very good, agressive, or safe. HPt is usually 400+ bucks

I'm currently running trifecta and I just need to fix my injectors.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I might as well throw this one in here. Can I modify a canned ZZP tune with my HP Tuners i.e. I go from #42s to #80s or need AFR changes?
Old 12-26-2014, 07:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I've had all three and here's how I rank them: hpt, ZZP, then Trifecta comes in last. All great tunes but hpt was the best for me because I found one of the best tuner. Hpt itself is just the software to tune so it all depends on who u find to tune u. ZZP was a great tune as well but I found them to be a little on the safer side and they are no where near me so I switched to hpt. I had Trifecta on my first red ss/tc and it was ok. I think it could've been better if Vince wasn't so busy all the time but its like what they said, u literally have to wait a month for a revision.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:30 PM

Oh my god noobs, ZZP uses HPT! so HPT and ZZP is close to the same thing! Zzp just knows how to tune the cobalt!
Old 12-26-2014, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sl0wbaltSS
Oh my god noobs, ZZP uses HPT! so HPT and ZZP is close to the same thing! Zzp just knows how to tune the cobalt!
zzp does use hptuners however its flashed on a NEW PCM or you send yours in so you don`t need to buy hptuners VCM suite. find a good tuner buy hptuners spend the extra money now to save buying it twice thats my opinion. OP there are plenty of good tuners on here and on HPtuners forum good luck
Old 12-26-2014, 07:46 PM

zzp will remote tune you as well if you have access to hptuners. not a bad option as well.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lies. I was re-tuned twice no charge. Once for adding a bolt on and the other for ECP VTA BOV. Also if you go through a vendor like BNR you'll get better response times and it helps to have a middleman in this case.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Shanedude
Lies. I was re-tuned twice no charge. Once for adding a bolt on and the other for ECP VTA BOV. Also if you go through a vendor like BNR you'll get better response times and it helps to have a middleman in this case.
You are one of the few normally he charges between 75-150 for retunes.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:57 PM

For what it is worth every single one of the guys and gals I have retuned that had trifecta or anyone else's tune for that matter has said my tunes drive better and pull smoother and longer up top.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator2
For what it is worth every single one of the guys and gals I have retuned that had trifecta or anyone else's tune for that matter has said my tunes drive better and pull smoother and longer up top.
Because you touch everything that's availble.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Terminator2
This man speaks the truth! Like I previously stated, I've tried them all and this is the guy u want. Save yourself a whole lot of money and do it right the first time. Ask me how I know. Lol oh wait, I just told u...
Old 12-27-2014, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by ae_xiong
This man speaks the truth! Like I previously stated, I've tried them all and this is the guy u want. Save yourself a whole lot of money and do it right the first time. Ask me how I know. Lol oh wait, I just told u...
x2
Old 12-27-2014, 06:15 PM

x2
Nathan did you get your meth kit hooked up yet?
Old 12-27-2014, 07:55 PM

nope =( i don`t have a shop and its been raining like crazy here or too dark by the time i get home from work. i can`t datalog for another month anyways because its uninsured for winter
Old 12-30-2014, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why do we need 24 posts about this lol HPtuners is real tuning, trifecta and ZZP are canned tunes. There is no comparison, HPtuners will always be the better option.

Quick Reply: Tune questions. Pros and cons. ZZP vs Trifecta vs HP tuners?!