War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Chevy Cobalt SS/TC HPT vs GMS1 vs BMW 335xi (vid)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chevy Cobalt SS/TC HPT vs GMS1 vs BMW 335xi (vid)

So I've been working with my friend to tune his car with the help of T-Man using HPTuners. It's been interesting to see how the car has changed from being on the GMS1 tune to going with a custom tune. The GMS1 tune is highly nerfed and alot is left on the table. Well after sending logs and making tweaks with T-Man we came to a comfortable 93 octane tune that had no knock and felt strong throughout the rev range especially up top. We had some spare time and I had my go pro on me so we figured we'd grab some video of each tune to see how they compare. This isn't a ***** to the wall street race as much as it's a controlled way to see the changes between the tunes. We set the races up so that we both would start in 3rd at 45mph. NLS was only used on the GMS1 as it wasn't advisable to use it on the HPT tune, but the reasoning that we used NLS was that it was the best representation of what he would do on the street. Neither of us were going to brake boost either. We were trying to limit the variables to get consistent runs in but be real world at the same time(NLS).

Cobalt SS/TC - Downpipe, Intake Tube, and Muffler Delete(HPtuners custom tune and GMS1 tune) on 93 octane.

335xi - Downpipes, Dual Cone Intake, FMIC, Cobb Accessport PFT Custom e85/93octane Tune(52% Ethanol).

Cobalt SS/TC tuning GMS1 vs HPTuners vs 335xi - YouTube
Old 09-03-2012, 09:34 PM

T-man from az?
Old 09-03-2012, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by xbobbitox
T-man from az?
Thats affirmative. Not sure if he is on these boards or not.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:02 PM

why do ppl insist on racing at a specific gear?? way different gearing for both cars. just let both cars start at whatever gear they want. dumbest race ive ever seen.
oh and the music sucks...
just saw you have 2 posts.... welcome...
Old 09-03-2012, 10:12 PM

While i agree about gearing as the balt should have been in 2nd, But DAMN that AWD bmw moves!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We did it so we could see thr diff in the tunes.
Exact same gear and mph to see what the tune did.

We will run again but that bimmer is fkn fast either way.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:27 PM

i dont think the 335 is that fast. started at a gear that most likely benefited the bimmer more. start the balt in second and it wont get pulled like that.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by 07LSJ
why do ppl insist on racing at a specific gear?? way different gearing for both cars. just let both cars start at whatever gear they want. dumbest race ive ever seen.
oh and the music sucks...
just saw you have 2 posts.... welcome...
Originally Posted by Hugger1975
We did it so we could see thr diff in the tunes.
Exact same gear and mph to see what the tune did.

We will run again but that bimmer is fkn fast either way.
^What he said and thanks Jay!,

like I said we weren't going ***** to the wall street racing by any means. We were going to do 2nd, but with the hpt tune the car spins brutally. We decided on 3rd gear at 45mph and I said I'd stay in the same gear for both pulls. This was to see the difference between the tunes and the only reason why we chose those circumstances as to put control in our testing. The dumbest race I see is the one where the other guy won't run to the other guys advantage IE Roll run. I will do that even though I'm most deadly from a dig.

Yes my music sucks. I have terrible taste in music just like I have terrible taste in the cars I own.

Also i'm going back to a 93 octane tune to level the playing field a bit. it will make for a good run and think we will run door to door on his new tune.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:34 PM

i dont think the 335 is that fast. started at a gear that most likely benefited the bimmer more. start the balt in second and it wont get pulled like that.
It was his recommendation. We are going to do it again and see how it plays out. I had my hand in the LNF tuning wise and I like the platform. It's not unbeatable though just like my car isn't unbeatable. We've gone back and forth previously.

Turbo cobalt ss v BMW 335xi - YouTube
Old 09-03-2012, 10:39 PM

^exactly.....cobalt guys don't need to get in a tizzy.
I picked 45 and 3rd so I could see the tunes changes.
Sure may have been diff in 2nd but that wheelspin, extra gear change, etc would have given diff results. Hell, we even went same direction on same road

More vids soon as we tweak some stuff.

And to who said the bimmer isn't that fast...lol seriously?
It ran a mid 12 on the worst prepped track ever.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:02 PM

ok this video posted now is an update i guess? did a 30 roll on whatever gear you wanted?
oh and im not saying the 335 is that slow but it is awd, you'll have a huge advantage on a drag strip. also, those cars stock run mid~ 13's. run some mid 11's and ill be impressed.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:13 PM

ok this video posted now is an update i guess? did a 30 roll on whatever gear you wanted?
oh and im not saying the 335 is that slow but it is awd, you'll have a huge advantage on a drag strip. also, those cars stock run mid~ 13's. run some mid 11's and ill be impressed.
a 335I with an E tune ALONE is no freaking joke more bolt on's make it respond even better! And the fact that's it's AWD means i think it would most def rape the cobalt off the line at the strip while the balt is in spin city, good to see the difference in the tunes was not really that much as both car's got pulled on pretty hard! Maybe now people sill stop thinking an HPtune is a ZOMGWTFFBBQHP tune that will destroy all others! But i seriously doubt it!
Old 09-03-2012, 11:19 PM

I've run a few 335i's with jb4 and supporting mods up to map 4 and I always walk. The gear choice killed u off the bat.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by willizm
Thats affirmative. Not sure if he is on these boards or not.
He was, he had a 4 door lnf
Old 09-03-2012, 11:31 PM

That last video is a couple years old. My car is quite different now. I'm shooting for high elevens.......on stock runflat. Stock 335xi's run high 13's-low 14's stock. I'm surprised that you're not easily impressed since you drive a solid 15sec car
Originally Posted by thedubsack85
a 335I with an E tune ALONE is no freaking joke more bolt on's make it respond even better! And the fact that's it's AWD means i think it would most def rape the cobalt off the line at the strip while the balt is in spin city, good to see the difference in the tunes was not really that much as both car's got pulled on pretty hard! Maybe now people sill stop thinking an HPtune is a ZOMGWTFFBBQHP tune that will destroy all others! But i seriously doubt it!
the hpt file isn't complete yet. TMan is sending sone more changes my way so we might be able to get sone more out of that LNF yet. Hugger can speak to how much better the tune is as it's hard to gauge on video. The hpt will stop my pull but gms1 just falls back further and further.

Originally Posted by 09BlueBaltSS
I've run a few 335i's with jb4 and supporting mods up to map 4 and I always walk. The gear choice killed u off the bat.
I'm not a fan of the jb4. I've had it before and much prefer the Cobb AP especially now with a custom e85 mix tune. I've got the newest jb5 gen5 on my 135i and will be running e85 on that car as well.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:34 PM

Hugger, get a damn E85 tune!
Old 09-03-2012, 11:43 PM

That last video is a couple years old. My car is quite different now. I'm shooting for high elevens.......on stock runflat. Stock 335xi's run high 13's-low 14's stock. I'm surprised that you're not easily impressed since you drive a solid 15sec car
the hpt file isn't complete yet......
too bad you dont live by me, if you did ill gladly show you what this 15 second car can do
Old 09-03-2012, 11:51 PM

too bad you dont live by me, if you did ill gladly show you what this 15 second car can do
I'm guessing you are a big talker but if I said let's go from a dig you'd tuck tail and run. I wouldn't blame you honestly.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sonicyeller
Hugger, get a damn E85 tune!
Trust me I keep telling him to go that route. Unfortunately there are no close stations by his home or work.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:01 AM

I'm guessing you are a big talker but if I said let's go from a dig you'd tuck tail and run. I wouldn't blame you honestly.
well talking with u is pointless since you live states away but i'd give you your race as well. 0-140
anyways, im not a fan of this bench racing, pm me if you ever come down to miami. be glad to give you the walk.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:58 AM

^

Just hope he doesn't accidently jump in his built turbo ls1.

Anyway, it may put me deeper in powerband in 2nd which is all fun next to another hi power car where we both get a lil spin then go. I woulda spun, and grabbed a third meanwhile he was in another state

This was good for testing.

My view was perfect.

I honestly felt that in 4th he stoped pulling but I wasn't about to do a 90 roll to prove it...lol

On gms1 it was like he was nvr gona stop pulling.....I didn't let off.....he pulled that hard on gm tune......damnit

E85

When we pefect this tune.....I am considerong it bases on how much wills car loves it....

Last edited by Hugger1975; 09-04-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:41 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Good video William.

I see you've managed to find your way here as well. :P

I see the purpose of the video, though its kind of hard to tell since you had to jump back into your lane a bit, but a good comparison none the less.

Hugger have you tried 45 in 2nd, curiously? when I was fully bolted and tuned it spun, but once you drag it out just a tad with some throttle control it may make a tad bit of difference. Witht he 3.83 it really caters to the car spinning, as it doesn't spin overly hard.

Either way, it was a good video just for comparison.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:20 AM

well talking with u is pointless since you live states away but i'd give you your race as well. 0-140
anyways, im not a fan of this bench racing, pm me if you ever come down to miami. be glad to give you the walk.
Well if you want to think your fastest car will walk my winter beater then you are more than welcome to believe that if you like. Truth is that my beater will still pimp slap your balt.

But if you really want to be embarrased I have a Trans Am that would gladly hand your ass back to you.
Originally Posted by Scythe_Snake
Good video William.

I see you've managed to find your way here as well. :P

I see the purpose of the video, though its kind of hard to tell since you had to jump back into your lane a bit, but a good comparison none the less.

Hugger have you tried 45 in 2nd, curiously? when I was fully bolted and tuned it spun, but once you drag it out just a tad with some throttle control it may make a tad bit of difference. Witht he 3.83 it really caters to the car spinning, as it doesn't spin overly hard.

Either way, it was a good video just for comparison.
Hey Ryan, I knew you'd be around these parts. Hugger meet Scythe, Scythe meet Hugger. now Ryan convince him that he needs a bigger turbo and to go e85. We are going to run them again. During the tuning it seemed like it was best to do it in 3rd because he spins pretty bad in 2nd whereas I'll just put some lengths on him from the go. Is there a better MPH in 3rd you think? I'd like to put as much advantage in his court since I don't have to worry about traction. I don't think we are opposed to trying whatever.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:24 AM

the videos are confusing. i see a coalt winning everytime, so how did it lose to the bmw????
Old 09-04-2012, 10:37 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Hey Ryan, I knew you'd be around these parts. Hugger meet Scythe, Scythe meet Hugger. now Ryan convince him that he needs a bigger turbo and to go e85. We are going to run them again. During the tuning it seemed like it was best to do it in 3rd because he spins pretty bad in 2nd whereas I'll just put some lengths on him from the go. Is there a better MPH in 3rd you think? I'd like to put as much advantage in his court since I don't have to worry about traction. I don't think we are opposed to trying whatever.
How's traveling been going bro? Every week I see you partying up in Vegas! Just text me man, you gots my number! We should meet up in person and talk since I have only seen you out this summer ONCE and I haven't even seen the damn bmw, and you gotta show me the 1 series too! And I can meet hugger too.

Third is sadly going to be a higher roll , on the stock trans like 60ish, hell, MAYBE 50, its been a while since I was on a 3.83. a 40 even with wheel spin shouldn't be too bad though either.

Sure I can try to convince him of some stuff. There are some great options coming out and currently on a market that will keep him nice and reliable.

Quick Reply: Chevy Cobalt SS/TC HPT vs GMS1 vs BMW 335xi (vid)