War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

G85 Vs Non G85

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G85 Vs Non G85

I wanted to get everybodies opinion on the LSD with the G85 package. I have heard some people say that it will improve quarter mile times and others who say it wont make a difference at all. I will be getting the stage 2 as well. Is it proven that the SS with the LSD is a faster car? Is it necessary to pull off good quarter mile times?
Old 07-19-2006, 09:57 PM
Banned

LSD helps! Just because some people without LSD can run the same or similar times does not mean that the LSD doesn't help.

Most of the "FAST" guys on this site that don't have LSD wish they did or are going to get it.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:03 PM

Don't have it and could have got it, it is great for auto crossing or fast cornering otherwise I'd save your money.

Oh and you can search this cause its all over the website.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:06 PM

LSD is awsome, I have it. The thing with LSD is the best results come from drivers that understand and know how to use it.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i heard the LSJ tranny equipped with the lsd can handle more power, just what i heard
Old 07-19-2006, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by CoBOT
LSD helps! Just because some people without LSD can run the same or similar times does not mean that the LSD doesn't help.

Most of the "FAST" guys on this site that don't have LSD wish they did or are going to get it.
YES SIR!!!

ps not fast yet
Old 07-19-2006, 10:48 PM

well im not "slow" and i dont think i need it for any time in the near future
Old 07-19-2006, 10:49 PM

only reason i can think of that i wish i would have got it would be for the fact that not many 2005's with the package were made
Old 07-19-2006, 11:14 PM

....the LSD means it puts power to BOTH tires.... not jsut one. so no the cars with LSD are not faster, but they can launch better giving them a better quarter mile time....
Old 07-19-2006, 11:18 PM

The freaking Recaros alone are worth getting the LSD!

The question is would you like one rubber mark or two? I prefer two!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by 2K5SS/SC?
The freaking Recaros alone are worth getting the LSD!

The question is would you like one rubber mark or two? I prefer two!
you sir havent seen my burnout pic

Last edited by hatrickstu; 07-19-2006 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by chipmonk212121
....the LSD means it puts power to BOTH tires.... not jsut one. so no the cars with LSD are not faster, but they can launch better giving them a better quarter mile time....
thats wrong man, LSD only transfers power when one tire is losing grip
Old 07-19-2006, 11:35 PM

well in my opinion it does matter its not faster and the non g85 is just as good...i have a non g85 cobalt ss s/c and my friend has the g85 package on his....we raced str8 up from a dig and we launched the same way and i even pulled a little in front of him so..to get to the point it all depends on the driver
Old 07-20-2006, 10:03 AM

yeah i'm swapping to a Cobalt tranny with LSD on it soon because I can only do those one-wheel-wonders with my open differential, and i'm putting down too much power for just one wheel to handle it..... I went autocrossing again yesterday and this is the third set of front Dunlop's i'm on just because whever i give it a hard corner and that boost comes up, i lift the inside wheel and spin it until it melts...
Old 07-20-2006, 10:16 AM

I wish I had G85 because of the LSD, but the Recaros are UGLY as hell. Yeah I know they are a little more comfortable and supportive, but the blue inserts matching the arrival blue color of my car just completes the look. I don't want the interior of my car looking as plain and spartan as my buddy's Evo. Besides, my seats feel fine to me. I don't fall out when I autocross, and I've taken long trips without getting uncomfortable. They have lumbar and are adjustable in every direction.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:25 AM

There seems to be a lot of confusion about LSD. Ok it is called Limited Slip Differential for a reason. It does not put power to both wheels. LSD senses when one tire is breaking lose and compensates with the other 95% of the time this occurs when the wheel is turned. Generally I do not start my 1/4 mile off with the wheel turned. Also for the one wheel burnout thing... I have never just smoked one wheel.... perhaps learning how to burnout is in the near future ? LSD is also nice to have in the winter months. I would say if you want it get it . If you are border line and wondering if you should really pay for it don't get it. The recaro's are sweet because they don't wear like the regular seats do but if you are a heavier dude then they can be uncomfortable. Also according to a buddy of mine once he drove his SS to florida he was wishing he had normal seats.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1stbluSS
There seems to be a lot of confusion about LSD. Ok it is called Limited Slip Differential for a reason. It does not put power to both wheels. LSD senses when one tire is breaking lose and compensates with the other 95% of the time this occurs when the wheel is turned. Generally I do not start my 1/4 mile off with the wheel turned. Also for the one wheel burnout thing... I have never just smoked one wheel.... perhaps learning how to burnout is in the near future ? LSD is also nice to have in the winter months. I would say if you want it get it . If you are border line and wondering if you should really pay for it don't get it. The recaro's are sweet because they don't wear like the regular seats do but if you are a heavier dude then they can be uncomfortable. Also according to a buddy of mine once he drove his SS to florida he was wishing he had normal seats.
So the LSD only transfers power when the wheel is turned???

People that have no car knowledge should not post on this topic and people that are delusional that an LSD does not help in the quarter mile should also not post.

THANKS
Old 07-20-2006, 11:20 AM

In perfect conditions LSD shouldn't matter because the length of the drive shafts and equal surfaces...

But...

Other than tracks with controlled environments LSD if you are trying to accelerate out of the hole or from a dig will help. This car with it's light front end is easy to break free. LSD keeps you from buying sets of tires.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:27 AM

Lsd is not absolutely nessesary for good quartermile times however it does help with the launch. As far as the seats are concerned I love them and you have to be a really big dude to not fit in them Im 6'3" 250 and I find them very comfortable
Old 07-20-2006, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for the price of the package, ud be an assclown not to take it up, unless yer short on cash, then thats a different story.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by CoBOT
So the LSD only transfers power when the wheel is turned???

People that have no car knowledge should not post on this topic and people that are delusional that an LSD does not help in the quarter mile should also not post.

THANKS
..x2
Old 07-20-2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by 1stbluSS
Yes, you are confused. LSD, originally called Posi-Traction by GM (hence
"posi"), does transmit power to BOTH wheels equally. It is not a traction control system. It does not transfer power between sides of the vehicle. If one wheel starts slipping it continues to slip while being pulled along by the other wheel until it gains traction. It is a mechanical link. It does the same thing as a locker but allows some slippage, in cornering, for street use.

CoBOT/chipmonk212121 - x3

With all that said...I did the first burnout in my car the other day to see how bad the wheel hop was. This was after reading that the engine dampner would fit the 2.2s. Not only did I not have ANY wheel hop I also left 2, count 'em, TWO nice black stripes by my mailbox. The LSD doesn't seem to be necessary to me unless you're doing a lot of road-style racing.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:06 PM

In a non LSD car, when one wheel starts slipping, all power will be transferred to the wheel that has traction. A LSD will allow a certain amount of wheelspin to occur before it starts transfering power to the wheel with more traction (hence the "Limited-Slip" part). When cornering, it prevents the inside front tire from getting smoked because it is the only wheel getting power.

If you will be racing, you should get it.

Read this people: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm
Old 07-20-2006, 01:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by distillion
for the price of the package, ud be an assclown not to take it up, unless yer short on cash, then thats a different story.
I WISH I HAD LSD!!!!

Yeah if I had the cash I would have gotten the g85 package but they wanted to much for it one I found with the color I wanted wanted $27,598 total w tax,license,feesthats with a $500 deduction I got mine for $22,500 total mine just comes with the moonroof no xm,or onstar the more expensive one had everything. The cheapest I found with lsd and recaros with no onstar was 25,000$

My question is can you get LSD put on after you bought your car if so where can I get it done or buy one??
Old 07-20-2006, 01:45 PM

If I could do it all over again I would have gotten a G85 SS/SC. Mainly because I wanted to get involved in Autocross. As far as the 1320, I dunno...my SS/SC ran fine with out LSD, so it is probably something I wouldn't have considered unless I was deep into the 12's.

Quick Reply: G85 Vs Non G85