War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

I held the hand of a screaming man tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I held the hand of a screaming man tonight...

My friend and I decided to go to the local spot tonight with my new 2.8 and see whos out. After stopping at the gas station we got on the highway (4 lane) and behind us was a revving sport bike (don't know what kind or model).

I have no illusions that my cobalt is faster than a motorcycle but being the young, stupid and cocky guy I am I gave it a little in 1st while entering the highway on the on ramp. There was one other car in my lane about 15 lengths in front and after my short burst of 2.0l furry, the sport bike flys by at well over 100. A banked corner is comming up and I slow down to 65 (speed limit) while the bike keeps accelerating into the corner.

When the bike begins to overtake the car infront of us he hits a patch of sand in his lane while in the corner. The next thing I see is a motor cycle flying through the air after it hit the bank at 120+ kicking sand and rocks all over.

I imediatley slam on my brakes as does the other car and pull over. My friend dials 911 as I run to the median trying to find the rider.

About 100+ft away from the destroyed bike I find the rider. Luckly he had a helmet on and leather but both legs were badly broken with blood gushing from them.

I helped him pull off his helmet and gloves and held his hand while help gets there. It took forever (longer than ever expected) for the paramedics to arrive. The guy kept yelling in pain and squeezing my hand and telling me hes sorry for acting like such a douche.

I had to tell an officer what happened and I was allowed to leave. The guy made it to the hospital ok but I dont know if he will ever walk again.

Fact is, I knew things like this happen but I never thought it would hapen with me being involved or that I would witness it. I can't help but think, If only I didn't gun it in first he might not have passed us and crashed. Needless to say, My eyes have been opened and I won't be racing on the street in any form any time soon.

Last edited by leviticus88; 07-22-2006 at 03:29 AM.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:21 AM

He made his choice not you.Its cool you stayed with him till the meatwagon came but serious, STREET RACING is dumb.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:27 AM
BCM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a freaky experience. Even though he did something stupid, hopefully he'll be ok.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's not your fault buddy, but I feel for your situation. You can't help but feel a little responsible. It was the motorcycles choice to go so fast around a corner. Maybe you could track him down and visit him in the hospital or something to make you feel better. He might need a friend after all of this.

On eof my friends is a quadraplegic after a car accident, but he's one of the funniest people I know. Accidents change people, and maybe you both could use the support of one another.

Other than that, you did what all of us would do. You are no worse of a man than anybody else on here, and I support you too. Don't take it out on yourself, but don't forget your experience either. You were meant to see this happen.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:16 AM

Just hope for the best. Not your fault man.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:40 AM

WOW, Levit, I will be keeping you in my prayers, Bro. I Hope he comes out alright.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:47 AM

I hope he is alright. Thanks for posting your story. This is a good example of why I don't support street racing. It is just not worth the damage it can cause.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:49 AM

It's def. not your fault... things happen for a reason - hell if he was crazy enough to do it that night, he was crazy enough to do it before - maybe it just caught up with him... hopefully he can walk again - and if so, I bet he'll never act so stupid on a bike again.

I see so many motorcycle accidents working at the hospital than I ever imagined...

They're no joke - just lost a close family friend from his motorcycle accident...

You should try to track him down, that would be an interesting story to tell about how you met your new friend...
Old 07-22-2006, 09:44 AM

Haha what guy on a bike doesn't floor it? Every guy on any crotchrocket around doesn't beleive in driving anywhere under 80mph even around town. Maybe he'll learn his bikes limits the next time and his judgement may be better if he ever gets on another bike again. Don't blame yourself man. Bones heal, his legs may get better.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:06 PM

At least he didn't lose his life. Don't put the blame on yourself.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:11 PM
Banned

i don't think it has to do at all with it being his fault or not... i think he realizes that it could have been him that crashed... that's s ******* scary experiance...
Old 07-22-2006, 12:12 PM

You are a hell of a guy with the comfort you gave him! I assume you consoled him and told he was not a douche? What a terrible experiance. The only thing you can blame is the nice weather.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:15 PM

look at it this way: he wrecked trying to show off to you, because you gunned it in first (not your fault btw, his choice), and now he is injured. What if this didn't happen? He would have probably ended up getting killed in an even worse accident. Sure breaking your legs sucks, but it's better than dying, which is probably what would have happened eventually if this whole incident didn't occur. EVERYTHING happens for a reason, and EVERYTHING that happened that night was God's will. Do not feel guilty. You were a man and stuck around, and even admitted what happened to the police. So relax and don't be so hard on yourself.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:12 PM

I understand your feeling guilty, but his testosterone fueled joyriding was not provoked by you, he is an adult and made a bad decision. Inexperienced riders and modern sport bikes are a disaster waiting to happen....
Old 07-22-2006, 04:15 PM

Thanx for the support guys. I think im going to try to find him.

It's still weird to think about though...
Old 07-22-2006, 06:27 PM

Yeah I can totally feel for you man! It is a scary experience to be involved with. I was leaving work at 12:00am in the morning and driving home. I pulled up to a light and an Eclipse reved on me in my 76' 280Z. I was already to race and decided it just wasn't a good idea.

The light turned green and he drove off a little fast I was behind him about 4-5 car lengths. Then from the left side of traffic a car full of drunk girls ran a stop sign and came flying into the intersection about 60MPH and smashed into the guys car sending his car through 2 lanes of traffic into a brick wall. Thank god no one got hurt, but it was the scariest thing I have ever seen live in person. It could have been my car that got hit by the girls if I choose to race. Go find the biker, it will be a good thing for the both of you.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:21 PM

thats crazy guy!! but as a note if this ever happens again, do not take off his helmet, if he had spinal damage this could have made it worse, but it sounds like you did a good job!! keeping him concious and aware, keeping him posative can make or break the situation, you did an awsome job, so kudos to you!! you ever think about contacting the red cross and getting certified first aid?
Old 07-22-2006, 09:34 PM

this really hits me hard because i just got a bike and i ride non stop, however i dont ever speed through corners and rarely ever go on the highway. a lot of guys on fast bikes think they can handle it but its not always something they can control, like sand on the pavement.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:47 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
wow man that really blows.... thats why I stopped riding myself... I wrecked at @95 mph on my ninja and somehow walked away (ened up on the grass median the whole time).. oh yeah I did this in broad daylight and not one person stopped to see if I was ok... But yeah I hope the guys alright and I"m glad you stopped to help.. shows some real character...
Old 07-22-2006, 11:43 PM

I remembered the helmet thing after he asked me to help him get it off before the real pain came. He could sit up a little and hold his head up so I don't think it hurt his neck or back but now i know.

I found out after talking to the police that he had many prior traffic violations and at the time of the crash didn't have a license or insurance.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:55 PM

Stuff like that is hard. After witnessing something similar, but with a much worse outcome, I quit even being associated with street racing - I want nothing to do with it. We weren't at the time, but we were on the road when some other people were, the one swerved to miss us, lost control, hit a concrete barrier, guy was ejected through the windshield and landed face-first on the pavement. Died on impact and it was a pretty gruesome thing to see.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:47 PM

thats a big thing you did, and im sure hes happy you where there for him, as is anyone else in a car accident ranging from stupidity to whatever. i had mine, and i know what its like.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:08 PM

dont beat yourself up soo much, you did the right thing. He was a wreckless driver and it caught up to him. Im far from innocent when it comes to speeding, and the occasional street racing, but I know what my car can handle, and I know driving wrecklessly in traffic is never good.

It isnt your fault that you wanted to screw around with him a little, everyone races/speeds a little bit. He was the one that got carried away, not you. If I were you though, I would make a concerted effort to see him, and show you care. Im sure he'd appreciate that.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:41 PM

That was very kind of you, shows that your a good man, but just as a future note, taking a crashed riders helmet off is one of the worst things you can do.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:53 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
This is 6+ months old guys...

It's good you stayed with him. Have you seen, Heard from, or Heard about him since?

Quick Reply: I held the hand of a screaming man tonight...