Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   War Stories (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/war-stories-54/)
-   -   Let down the cobalt community on this one. (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/war-stories-54/let-down-cobalt-community-one-319314/)

RaginChopsuey 09-27-2015 12:30 AM

Let down the cobalt community on this one.

This whole thing started when I got my new job. I drive a 2007 SS/SC cobalt with and intake and exhaust. My fellow co-workers are mid 20's and into the fast and furious lifestyle. This guy arrogant and ignorant claimed he has a 620 hp mustang. I did not see this Mustang for 1 month and 16 days. It was in the shop for a transmission repair and add a turbo to his v8 setup. The mustang owner doesn't do any mechanical work to his own car, he has a shop do everything for him. Well, the car finally arrived at work yesterday and I got lectured how my cobalt was a piece of s*** and he came running to me in the middle of my shift jumping up and down and saying, "Wanna race, wanna race." I turned him down that day since I had to pick the girlfriend up from work at 11 pm.

So today, I said, "After work if it doesn't rain I will race yah." So the whole place is in an uproar about it and I kindly obliged him.

This is where the let down begins

He didn't want to launch from a street light, he didn't want to use a quarter mile reference, didn't want to start from a roll of any speed, he didn't use a flagger. He just wanted to go. So we lined up at the nearest telephone pole. Meanwhile, his passenger spewing insults and trash talk wouldn't let me say, "hey go ahead and call when to go." Until I got out of the car and slapped him in the face telling him to shut the fuck up and let grown men talk. He said 3, 2, 1, Go!!

I dumped the clutch at 1500 rpms and put the gas pedal about half way to the floor. I knew I was gonna spin the tires in first gear and possibly chirp second. Well, the tires spun alright and caught traction and we both came off the starting line. Then at 5 grand I shifted into second and my clutch Just MELTED. Pedaled the gas a bit to get the clutch to re-engage and it grabbed and I put the gas pedal to the floor. Tires spun in second from the boost from the supercharger and then the ominous smell of burning clutch and transmission. My speedometer read 45 mph and shifted into third. At this point the mustang was already gone and I clearly lost that race.

I will probably catch some words tomorrow at work. But, I shall take them with a grain of salt.

Lesson to be learned here: Know your car better than the car knows you. Because if you don't your cars limits, you cant mark a win in the win column.

P.S Upgrade clutch first before adding more power. One lesson learned the hard way.

tuned08ss 09-27-2015 07:41 AM

I don't think u had a chance anyway against a turbo v8 mustang

ECaulk 09-27-2015 01:14 PM

Yeah don't think you had a chance. Also why are you shifting so damn early? 5k is way to soon for a LSJ

CobaltSS 16 09-27-2015 02:21 PM

wait wut is going on here?? OP needs a new clutch and driver mod. Oh an stop shifting at 5k rpm lulz

Adiaz1ss 09-27-2015 02:52 PM

Turbo v8 2v are no jokes. Dont think you stood a chance. Even with better driving, shifting and stronger clutch especially from dig. Lol

CudaJoe 09-28-2015 09:21 AM

some clowns make too much money sometimes. You can tell cause they dump it into 2v mustangs.

ECaulk 09-28-2015 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by CudaJoe (Post 7567705)
some clowns make too much money sometimes. You can tell cause they dump it into 2v mustangs.

:lol::lol::lol:

RaginChopsuey 09-30-2015 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by CobaltSS 16 (Post 7567525)
wait wut is going on here?? OP needs a new clutch and driver mod. Oh an stop shifting at 5k rpm lulz

Thanks for the tips... Where do I get this driver mod from? Forza or Gran Turismo? lols. j/k

Staged07SS 09-30-2015 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by CobaltSS 16 (Post 7567525)

All of this.

Also where the hell do you work??

I'm so happy that kind of nonsense doesn't go on in my office.

Jesse 09-30-2015 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Adiaz1ss (Post 7567530)
Turbo v8 2v are no jokes. Dont think you stood a chance. Even with better driving, shifting and stronger clutch especially from dig. Lol

Unless it's one of those killer electric turbos. :lol: Which I've seen on two Mustangs in my life.

tomj77 10-01-2015 10:46 PM

parts fail, its a loss, but its an acceptable loss. now.....clutch, big turbo, supporting mods, tune, race again or u will have to suffer at the hands of that tool till u quit ur job

Squints 10-02-2015 02:29 AM

So much fail in this post but I'll give you props for attempting

roadrage06 10-16-2015 02:44 PM

Intake and Exhaust? Power wasn't your problem unless you've got a lot of miles on your clutch.

First step, sounds like you need a couple track days to learn how to drive your car.

Second, stage it, turbo swap it... anything! You've got maybe 10-20 more horses than factory. You were doomed to lose this one.

First step in beating a "faster" car is knowing you have more work done than the other guy.

CudaJoe 10-16-2015 07:01 PM

I believe I had more work done than this 2015 M6 that ran me, why'd I lose?

roadrage06 10-20-2015 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by CudaJoe (Post 7571389)
I believe I had more work done than this 2015 M6 that ran me, why'd I lose?

I said it was the first step, not the only step. Might have been that you were granny shiftin'; not double-clutchin' like you should.

RaginChopsuey 10-25-2015 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by roadrage06 (Post 7571343)
Intake and Exhaust? Power wasn't your problem unless you've got a lot of miles on your clutch.

First step, sounds like you need a couple track days to learn how to drive your car.

Second, stage it, turbo swap it... anything! You've got maybe 10-20 more horses than factory. You were doomed to lose this one.

First step in beating a "faster" car is knowing you have more work done than the other guy.

My Cobalt sits at 51,240 for mileage. I have only owned it for a year and a half.

A few track days, yes, would probably help if I didn't work 7 days a week.

Last of all, with all the extra money from working so much my basement is looking like a Fed Ex warehouse. First day off is, as of right now, Sunday. Now to hope it doesn't rain.

roadrage06 10-27-2015 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by RaginChopsuey (Post 7572739)
My Cobalt sits at 51,240 for mileage. I have only owned it for a year and a half.

A few track days, yes, would probably help if I didn't work 7 days a week.

Last of all, with all the extra money from working so much my basement is looking like a Fed Ex warehouse. First day off is, as of right now, Sunday. Now to hope it doesn't rain.

:twothumbs

A rematch is in your future with a much different outcome.