Wheels and Tires All about wheels and tires. What fits, show tires, and so on

Did my first autocross, need new tires, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did my first autocross, need new tires, any suggestions?

Right now I'm leaning towards Falken Azenis 615's size 225 40 18, anybody got any other suggestions to look into?
Old 07-16-2007, 06:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i priced out those a while back.

for performance vs price nothing will come even remotely close.

go for it.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
i priced out those a while back.

for performance vs price nothing will come even remotely close.

go for it.
I'll second this had them on my last car, best tire for the buck,very sticky wet/dry
Old 07-16-2007, 07:32 PM

I still have them on my car for STX class...i would def go for those Very sticky, and u will notice a diff right away
Old 07-16-2007, 07:50 PM

thanks guys, I havn't heard anything bad about these tires at all yet. What is the tread wear like compared to the pirellis
Old 07-16-2007, 07:54 PM

How about Toyo Prox. TR1s?

Best Rated Tire, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3

Last edited by R&C_rallySS; 07-16-2007 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-17-2007, 01:22 AM

If your just looking for suggestions I could throw out BFGoodrich G-Force KD, KDW, and Sports. I have the Sports on my Contour and they are nice UHP street tires but not really track only tires. My bro has Khumo Ecsta SPT's on his SS/SC. From what he says the Ecsta's do well on the street and track, but again not exactly a track only tire.

Falken makes some good auto-x tires. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with them, just throwing out some more tires for you to think about .
Old 07-17-2007, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by R&C_rallySS

Eagle F1s are NOT good auto-x tires. There's people that run them, but I've never heard anyone recommend them for a/x.

Originally Posted by Infernokron
If your just looking for suggestions I could throw out BFGoodrich G-Force KD, KDW, and Sports. I have the Sports on my Contour and they are nice UHP street tires but not really track only tires. My bro has Khumo Ecsta SPT's on his SS/SC. From what he says the Ecsta's do well on the street and track, but again not exactly a track only tire.

Falken makes some good auto-x tires. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with them, just throwing out some more tires for you to think about .
KDWs are another one that are amazing street and possibly road course tires, not great for auto-x. Sidewall is too stiff. I LOVE them and almost bought them before, but backed out after I drove some fun runs on someone else's. The SPT's are not that bad though.

The absolute BEST street/auto-x tires are the Azenis. BUT you're trading performance for treadwear. They're likely not going to last you as long as the Pirellis. Most of the people I know who run them run them track-only to save treadwear. BUT if you're going track-only then get R-compound tires unless for some reason you really want to stay in STX.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:25 PM

well I'm not getting them just for auto x, thus far my best time at the drag strip is a 14.35 and I would really like to hit a 14.0 this year, I recognize that is a lot to ask for from just tires but at that point the old ones were really worn, and it was 28 degrees C at the track so I only trapped 98.46 with stage 2, and previously I had trapped 97.47 before stage 2 in cooler temperatures so I know there is more MPH in the car as well.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by R&C_rallySS

good tire, thats what i am runnin. sticky, good in da water.. no problems so far.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jephron
Right now I'm leaning towards Falken Azenis 615's size 225 40 18, anybody got any other suggestions to look into?

was that you at the PITL event last weekend? I have had the rt615's on my car for a couple moonths now and they are a great tire, I paid 830 cash at Pacific mall.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:43 AM

The ones in my sig hands down.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by SoloZ/SS
was that you at the PITL event last weekend? I have had the rt615's on my car for a couple moonths now and they are a great tire, I paid 830 cash at Pacific mall.
Yeah that was me, were you the silver or the the red?
Old 07-21-2007, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by alleycat58
The absolute BEST street/auto-x tires are the Azenis. BUT you're trading performance for treadwear. They're likely not going to last you as long as the Pirellis. Most of the people I know who run them run them track-only to save treadwear. BUT if you're going track-only then get R-compound tires unless for some reason you really want to stay in STX.
No, the BFG KD is the best street legal tire for handling and traction period. They are the tire that set all the records. 1.09 G's. Can Azenis say that, no. They will be lucky to hit .90G's.

You also have to compare that Azenis suck royally on rain once you are about 75-50% tread remaining. The BFG KD has water sipes and grooves that run the circumference of the tire. And it has you beat on mileage too. Street driven the KD's will get you 25-30K miles no problem (unless there are a lot of burnouts). Azenis will last 20 maybe 25.

Kinda sux that they don't make them in many sizes though. But on that note, the BFG Sports are made out of the same compound, just different tread pattern. These also have circumferential sipes and grooves. I still have yet to test in the rain. I honestly feel the Sports handle better than the KDW and KDWS.

Also, the whole G-Force series of tires is a cut tire, not molded. This makes the tires lighter and more balanced than molded tires. The Falkens are molded.

I tested these BFG Sports out at Canyon Lake(tons of varying curves) last weekend, and can say these are an amazing tire. When hammering around the turns, the tires only lost traction on a couple of turns (I was testing the limits, so my entrance speed was above optimal). But when they did lose traction, it was very controllable, and the slide was predictable. I ran at 35psi. Definately consider these.

KDWs are another one that are amazing street and possibly road course tires, not great for auto-x. Sidewall is too stiff. I LOVE them and almost bought them before, but backed out after I drove some fun runs on someone else's. The SPT's are not that bad though.
Just so you know, a stiff sidewall is better in auto-x, it creates more predictable loss of traction, and the loss of traction is more gradual.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Doc

I prefer the Toyo Proxes RA-1, they are super sticky and very streetable.
www.aimtire.com
225-45/18 @ $234 each

The TOYO Proxes RA-1 continues to be the very best all around tire for driving to and from a high performance driving or track day event.
The TOYO RA-1 is unsurpassed in it's ability to 'heat cycle' better than any other tire on the planet.

At full or near full tread depth it provides excellent grip and long life for a "R" compound tire. And at a shaved tread depth of 4/32nds is has proven to be a very quick and predictable tire. So much so it was chosen to be the SPEC MIATA Spec tire for 2006 to 2009.

Also, this very same tire is used on the Speedvision World Challenge Touring and GT series! Thus proving it's ability to perform under extremely harsh conditions.

Plus at full tread depth it provides excellent grip in on a wet track.
All around the Proxes RA-1 is a great buy for your money.

The HANKOOK VENTUS Z-214 is the new kid on the block but has established itself as a true contender.

With a molded 4/32nd TWO GROOVE tread patten the Hankook Z-214 is a ringer for the look and performance of the HOOSIER R3s05 and R-6.

Competitors are reporting setting new records at tracks, autocrosses and hill climbs across the nation with the HANKOOK VENTUS Z-214 competition tire.

As a competition tire we DO NOT RECOMMEND this tire be driven on the street. It is a true competition tire just as the Hoosier R-6 and AVON TECH R tires.

Hankook offers the Z214 in 2 to 3 compounds depending upon the size. The c70 is the softer compound providing instantly quick laps with little or no warmup. Excellent for Autocross or for someone wishing to set a new qualifying record!
The c50 compound is considered the work horse of the Hankook line but don't think for a minute it is slow! The C-50 compound provides all around amazingly quick times lap after lap on road courses while showing very little wear.

The Hankook Z-214 provides nearly the wear of the TOYO while performing like the Hoosier.
PLUS Hankook offers the best contingency program of any manufacturer covering most club events, endurance events and rally events.

And speaking of RALLY TIRES take a look at the full line of HANKOOK Ventus R201, R202, R203, R203 and R204 Rally Tires. Currently the Hankook Ventus Rally Tires are setting the competition on edge by providing superior rally performance at a very low cost!

HOOSIER R-6 road race, A-6 autocross tire: The industry standard for years. The new R-6, A-6 line incorporates years of track data into the new improved design. Still the #1 choice for SCCA open competition with a huge assortment of sizes to fit virtually any application.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your not concerned with safety and practicality whatsoever, theres always the Nitto NT01. Practically a slick and they arent reinforced, lol. The guy I commute with takes turns driving with me. He's got an '06 WRX and he's getting ready to put on some 17x9 Rota Tarmacs w/ NT01s.........as his primary daily driven setup! (he also removed his backseat and his spare for weight saving........a bit overkill i'd say) Lets just hope it dosent rain on the way to work..........
Old 07-22-2007, 01:03 PM

Nah I am looking for something to drive to work every day and still have a decent track tire for the 3 or 4 times a year I go
Old 07-22-2007, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jephron
Nah I am looking for something to drive to work every day and still have a decent track tire for the 3 or 4 times a year I go
Yea that was me in the Silver Balt, I have Azenis and they are a great tire. I have never owned Gforce KD's but I know they are also a really good tire. If you were to buy G forces I would say just the KD's and only the KD, as far as I know they are the top of the line so no to the sports and the KDW.

After my event today they had fun runs so I thought I would try the Azenis and I was 2 seconds slower then my Hoosier A6's ! which is pretty good for the street tire.