Wheels and Tires All about wheels and tires. What fits, show tires, and so on

Let's See Your 08+ Powdercoated/Painted SS Wheels

Old 02-07-2011, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heathkidder
white is def a bitch to keep clean but so is black lol
I bet you're just as excited about Spring as I am. The only time of the year where having a yellow car pays off
Old 02-10-2011, 01:29 AM

gonna plasti dip mine and maybe go over them with a gloss black. black may be played out but that or metal seems to fit my color... and i have lots of gloss black at home....
Old 02-10-2011, 02:57 AM

I also have gun metal color headlights
Old 02-10-2011, 08:27 AM

Not to thread jack, but it seems that the place I got my wheels powder coated could have possibly caused my rims to warp. I currently have two warped rims now. First one was found warped within a 100 miles/3 days of having them mounted on the car. The second rim was found yesterday with a little over 300 miles on the wheel. Both rims show ZERO signs of curb rash or pot hole collisions. Just a heads up to those who have or are planning on getting their rims powder coated.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sub'd so post mine later
Old 02-10-2011, 10:30 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Eurasianman
Not to thread jack, but it seems that the place I got my wheels powder coated could have possibly caused my rims to warp. I currently have two warped rims now. First one was found warped within a 100 miles/3 days of having them mounted on the car. The second rim was found yesterday with a little over 300 miles on the wheel. Both rims show ZERO signs of curb rash or pot hole collisions. Just a heads up to those who have or are planning on getting their rims powder coated.
Are yours causing wheel wobble or anything like that? One of mine is bent/warped from being curbed before I got the car, but it's so little that you can't see it, and there's no wobble. You're powdercoating place must have simply screwed it up or did not know what they were doing. Hundreds of us have had them done without any ill effects. Don't make everyone think one bad experience means they're all gonna get screwed up.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:51 PM

I know I need tire shine but here we go!

Old 02-11-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by TommypSS/TC
Are yours causing wheel wobble or anything like that? One of mine is bent/warped from being curbed before I got the car, but it's so little that you can't see it, and there's no wobble. You're powdercoating place must have simply screwed it up or did not know what they were doing. Hundreds of us have had them done without any ill effects. Don't make everyone think one bad experience means they're all gonna get screwed up.
My rims were in perfect condition before the powder coating. Afterwards, both front rims were found warped (a week apart) and it caused the car to wobble badly. Since then, they moved the two warped rims to the rear. It's only a matter of time now to see if my current to front rims get warped. I have no intention at all of discouraging people in getting their rims powder coated. My whole point is I don't want others that get their rims powder coated to get screwed like me. In other words, I hope people ask for a full detail on how they powder coat rims. The place that powder coated mine apparently didn't do something right seeing as now I have TWO warped rims with zero signs of curb rash or pot hole collisions. I love them powder coated black, but when not done right, this is what happens. I'll probably end up getting screwed over regardless. And just to add, I paid $100 a rim to have my rims powder coated. I just wish I had done more in depth research about powder coating before I had my rims done. I'm trying to get a thread going to will hopefully contain all details of how to ensure you get your rims powder coated properly.

Like I said, when done right, they're no worries. But if they screw up, this is what they can expect to happen. Just a little fyi, that's all. I apologize if my previous post was misinterpreted.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:14 AM

After 3 weeks and 10 minutes of waiting in line at the car wash, it's finally clean... for the most part. Who are we kidding?! It's a black car. I give it 3 days tops before it starts looking dirty again
This image here is the reason I wouldn't want black wheels on a black car. Unless you put tire shine on your tires religiously...it looks kinda...weird...
Old 02-11-2011, 10:36 AM

My rims were in perfect condition before the powder coating. Afterwards, both front rims were found warped (a week apart) and it caused the car to wobble badly. Since then, they moved the two warped rims to the rear. It's only a matter of time now to see if my current to front rims get warped. I have no intention at all of discouraging people in getting their rims powder coated. My whole point is I don't want others that get their rims powder coated to get screwed like me. In other words, I hope people ask for a full detail on how they powder coat rims. The place that powder coated mine apparently didn't do something right seeing as now I have TWO warped rims with zero signs of curb rash or pot hole collisions. I love them powder coated black, but when not done right, this is what happens. I'll probably end up getting screwed over regardless. And just to add, I paid $100 a rim to have my rims powder coated. I just wish I had done more in depth research about powder coating before I had my rims done. I'm trying to get a thread going to will hopefully contain all details of how to ensure you get your rims powder coated properly.

Like I said, when done right, they're no worries. But if they screw up, this is what they can expect to happen. Just a little fyi, that's all. I apologize if my previous post was misinterpreted.
I don't have PC'd rims but I will throw out a few guesses. Someone else can chime in and let me know if I am out to lunch.

Option 1-your fault
Are stock rims hubcentric? If so you might have had a build up of the powder that didn't allow them to sit tight against the disks.
Did you use a torque wrench when putting them on and check them again a couple days later to make sure they hadn't loosened up from the nuts bedding into the PC?
Did you change the wheel nuts at the same time and get the wrong type?
All of these things could cause the wheels to loosen and oval the holes. ONce they are wobbling it would be much easier to warp them.
Not trying to make it your fault but lots of people have PC'd rims without any trouble.

Option 2-their fault
The only thing I can think of is that the powder coater used too high of a temperature somewhere in the stripping/coating process and anealed(softened) the wheels. I can't think of any reason why he would get them that hot but maybe someone who does powder coating can.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by sLAsh
I don't have PC'd rims but I will throw out a few guesses. Someone else can chime in and let me know if I am out to lunch.

Option 1-your fault
Are stock rims hubcentric? If so you might have had a build up of the powder that didn't allow them to sit tight against the disks.
Did you use a torque wrench when putting them on and check them again a couple days later to make sure they hadn't loosened up from the nuts bedding into the PC?
Did you change the wheel nuts at the same time and get the wrong type?
All of these things could cause the wheels to loosen and oval the holes. ONce they are wobbling it would be much easier to warp them.
Not trying to make it your fault but lots of people have PC'd rims without any trouble.
Once the rims were powder coated, they were taken back to the wheel shop (two different places) and they balanced the tires. They said they were completely balanced at first.
I mounted the tires on myself. This isn't my first time around the block. I know how to tighten the bolts on my car. I checked them twice after I had the wheels mounted and the car lowered and they were tight as I could get them using a crossbar. On the 2 day of having them mounted, I noticed that the front of the vehicle was wobbling bad. I used the same nuts that originally came with the vehicle.

Lastly, I know a lot of people have had their rims powder coated on this forum. However, I seem to be the only one in AL that has taken his rims to this one place to get them powder coated. The first time it wobbled, I took it to the wheel shop to make sure the tires were balanced. That's when they found the first warped rim. They said they could not find any signs of evidence of me hitting a pot hole or a curb. They remounted the wheels. A week later, I take the car in to get new rubber put on and they now find the rim more warped and another rim that is warped. I've done less than 400 miles since these have been powder coated. I have not changed my driving routes. I know where the pot holes are and avoid them and I'm the only one that drives the car.

Originally Posted by sLAsh
Option 2-their fault
The only thing I can think of is that the powder coater used too high of a temperature somewhere in the stripping/coating process and anealed(softened) the wheels. I can't think of any reason why he would get them that hot but maybe someone who does powder coating can.
I'm going with this considering the wheel shop can find no other reason for my rims to be warped the way they are. I'm sure I'm the only one in my area that has taken SS/TC rims to this specific paint place to have them powder coated. They have been powder coating since 1997 and became part of the BBB in 2004. I don't know if this is relevant or not, but there you have it. I'm not against having the rims powder coated. As I previously stated, I just wanted to make sure that people on this forum are aware of what could possibly happen if they are not powder coated correctly because I did not know anything about this before I got them powder coated. I don't think I've seen one thread on this forum about someone having a warped rim due to powder coating. But as they say, there is a first time for everything. These rims were PERFECT before I got them powder coated with ZERO issues. They came with the car, which I bought brand new and only had 3 miles on the car.

/end semi thread-jack

If you wish to discuss this more, feel free to post here: https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/whee...estion-239882/ and/or here: https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/whee...mation-241365/
Old 02-15-2011, 09:48 PM
Nothin Stock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i was thinkin about getting my brembos PC'd...how r u guys doin the Powdercoating on them wit the brembo lettering or are u throwin a sticker on after PC?!?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:13 PM
AWD > FWD

Originally Posted by gotboost?17
i was thinkin about getting my brembos PC'd...how r u guys doin the Powdercoating on them wit the brembo lettering or are u throwin a sticker on after PC?!?
Ya everyone gets the stickers. Same if you paint them.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Nothin Stock

k well iv never done the brakes wit stickers....do u need a clear coat after the sticker since my guy clear coats them after powdercoating anyways?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:23 PM
AWD > FWD

Stickers would not survive powdercoating. They should be just fine if you just stick them on after they're done.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:51 AM
Nothin Stock

i thought so.....thanks for the help...btw i love ur wheels lol
Old 02-18-2011, 12:23 AM

The shop im taking my rims and brembos to get pc'd wants the calipers completely stripped down when I take them in. Should I just take the calipers to a brake shop and have them tear them down and then take them up or what? Im kind of lost as of now.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:11 AM

My buddies white ss tc.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:33 AM
corn gas ftw....

wow thats really green....
Old 02-21-2011, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by ssblackstealth
wow thats really green....
Yeah they are so bright in person.