Wheels and Tires All about wheels and tires. What fits, show tires, and so on

Michelin Pilot Sport AS3

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport AS3

I am getting lazy (or busy in the real world, take your pick). So I am going to copy and paste my comparison of these tires to the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Season tires. after I write the unique bits specific to the Pilot Sports.

The Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 be they any combination of cold, warm, wet, or dry always feel much more composed and calm when compared to the Eagles. The best way to sum my feelings up is to say that the Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Seasons feel nervous enough to always keep you alert and wary at the limit where the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 always feel good enough to engender a false sense of security and traction. Frequently, especially when cold, the Michelins failed to generate the same level of lateral loading the Goodyears could and never could touch the Goodyear's fine level of input response when being pushed hard cold. This gap narrowed significantly when cold and wet but when cold the Goodyear is the much better tire.

When warm the Michelin's feel and performance meet to make for a great daily driving tire. IN particular they launch warm and wet really, really well.

Now the copy and paste to fill in some gaps. If you have some specific questions about either tire feel free to drop a line and I will field them as best I can on Sundays. Although further from memory, I would be willing to throw thoughts out on the Conti OEM tires for the SS/TC, COnti Extreme Contact DWS, and the now superseded Goodyear Eagle F1. I took all tires down to wear bars evenly. I don't recommend the Continental Extreme Contact DWS for this car. They are, at best, touring tires with poor tread life.

COPYPASTA below:

I replaced these tires (edit: Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric All Seasons) with Michlen Pilot Sport AS3s while the temperatures were still reasonably cold in the Seattle area with plenty of 1+ rain days. After 5k miles on the Michelins I can tell you the main differences between the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric All Seasons and the Pilot Sport AS3s are as follows.

The Goodyears are much better all around tires (referring to traction/available grip) when cold. Especially dry and cold.

Once the outside temperature is at least 70F the Michelins are much better all around tires in the same sense, especially wet and warm.

The Michelin Pilot Sport AS3s are always noisier tires in comparison. They generally are running 3 db louder in a given scenario vs the goodyears. The tread wear seems to be comparable 5k miles into life but I am just getting into the warm season. Rears before rotation are still at 11/32 depth, the fronts are dead on @ 10/32.

To summarize it I would advise you to get the Michelins if you probably will never encounter snow or freezing temperatures and are in a warmer climate. If freezing and snow are realistic in your future but not to the point of warranting snow tires the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics will get you where you are going even if far along in the lives. The Michelins are iffy enough @ 40F to where I doubt they'd be helpful on snow, even new. (Edit: everything after is added to give some more info and context) I was able to get my non LSD TC up 8% grade hills (yes, plural) with the Eagles damn near the wear bars (3/32 depth when taken off a week after doing so).

All that said the numbers on my steno pad show the overall traction ability of the Pilot Sports kicking the ContiSportContact2 tires asses when its 40F out all around. Don't think i am saying they are anywhere near as bad as summer tires when its cold out. They reinforce my belief that modern all season tires are a technological wonder. THey are just definitely inferior to the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics and the Continental ExtremeContact DWS when its chilly or icy. The Goodyears happen to be decently sporting when warm where the sidewall on the DWS always had me really pissed off and the rest of the traction didn't do much to improve my feelings.

Last edited by rchiwawa; 06-10-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:23 PM
Supporting Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See our full test results here; comparing the Michelin to the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position , the Continental ExtremeContact DWS and the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season.