Wheels and Tires All about wheels and tires. What fits, show tires, and so on

New summer tires or mount the old?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New summer tires or mount the old?

I am in a bit of a decision on wheels and tires and I cant decide what to do and am looking for some input.

I currently have winter tires (225/40r18) mounted on my stock ss/tc wheels these will need replaced next winter no matter what route I go. About a week ago I picked up some DR33 18x7.5 wheels with intent to use them as winter wheels next winter and mount brand new winter wheels on them in the fall. I also have a set of unmounted continentals (same as stock model) in 225/40r18 that I used as summer tires last year. I have up to this point just taken my wheels off and had the tires swapped for the season.

Currently my conti's have 2 tires that are worn from being on the front last year but still have tread and 2 tires that look like they have decent tread from being on the rears. I recently have been tuned to a higher hp so I wanted a wider summer tire since at stock 3bar tune a 225 spun quite easily. The summer tire I want to go to is a 235/40r18 cooper zeon RS3-s.

Option 1:
Mount conti's on the ss/tc wheels come spring and just use the better 2 up front and run them till they wear out then buy the cooper summer tires and have them swapped onto the ss/tc wheels for the remainder of the summer/fall. 2 total mount/balance fees with less traction on the conti's but I can save up longer for the new tires with the possibility of not actually needing the summer tires this year (If keep my foot out of it ). If I do this there is potential that I will need summer tires around fall and in a month or so need winter tires. So I would end up buying both at the same time to get it done and over with. $$$

Option 2:
Fork up the money now and buy the coopers and have them mounted on the ss/tc wheels and trash the conti's. 1 mount/balance fee with better traction spring-fall and space out the expenses of tire purchases between summer and winter tires.

What would you do in this situation?
Old 01-27-2015, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With tax season coming, provided you are getting some back. I would go with Option 2 to avoid the double install fee. If you don't have the cash at this exact moment and will come fall then i would go option 2.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kyle09TC
With tax season coming, provided you are getting some back. I would go with Option 2 to avoid the double install fee. If you don't have the cash at this exact moment and will come fall then i would go option 2.
This is why I was leaning towards #2 but there is something about seeing something that could still be used go to waste that bugs me. Maybe once i get my summers I will toss the summer tires I have up on craigslist or local indiana ecotecs see if anyone wants them