Wheels and Tires All about wheels and tires. What fits, show tires, and so on

Polishing SS/SC Aluminum Rims to Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Polishing SS/SC Aluminum Rims to Mirror

Is there anything I can do to make my SS/SC 18's to make them look Mirror polish to chrome? I bought them awhile back, they look ok, but I want that chrome feel to them. Anything I can do to make'em that way?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buy the polished ones? lol
Old 06-08-2010, 11:07 AM

Its easier if the tires off the rim but youd have to strip all the paint off with Aircraft remover, make sure all the aircraft remover is off, then sand the hell out of them. Start at like 400 grit, get all of it done which will probably take about an hour by hand per rim. Then move to like 600 and do the same thing, 800 then 1000 and then wetsand at 1000. It takes a long time unless you have like a palm sander then it can go fairly fast. After you sanded them then you need to do the polishing and buffing. After you have the mirror finish you can get them powder coated clear to keep them shiny, or you will have to repolish them every so often because it fades. Theres a great write up on Honda-tech Ill try to find.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1259115
Old 06-08-2010, 11:15 AM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Claybar, polish, wax.

They're clear coated so there really is only so much you can do with them.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:07 PM

1) buy a mag/aluminum wheel polish
2) use it on the wheels
3) profit????
Old 06-08-2010, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by dandaman15
Its easier if the tires off the rim but youd have to strip all the paint off with Aircraft remover, make sure all the aircraft remover is off, then sand the hell out of them. Start at like 400 grit, get all of it done which will probably take about an hour by hand per rim. Then move to like 600 and do the same thing, 800 then 1000 and then wetsand at 1000. It takes a long time unless you have like a palm sander then it can go fairly fast. After you sanded them then you need to do the polishing and buffing. After you have the mirror finish you can get them powder coated clear to keep them shiny, or you will have to repolish them every so often because it fades. Theres a great write up on Honda-tech Ill try to find.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1259115
Yeah well I have a sander at the house will it make the process go a little faster? Of course I don't mind if it's by hand also. Is there certain kinds of buffer I need? Or chemical while I'm buffer threw each grit? I need to buy a good buffer. Anything else I'm going to need for this process sounds like it could take a long while
Old 06-08-2010, 02:25 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by ryaan
1) buy a mag/aluminum wheel polish
2) use it on the wheels
3) profit????
Failure will ensue

Treat them like you would the paint on your car. Like I said, they're clear coated, so if you use mag polish on them you could damage the clear and pit the wheels, making them look like absolute ****
Old 06-08-2010, 02:34 PM

took me like 2 weeks of all my spare time to do this, to much work imo
Old 06-08-2010, 03:01 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
Yeah, it's a lot of work to polish wheels yourself. Better off to pay someone who does it for a living, they will come out much nicer and it's just not worth the time it takes to do them yourself if you've never done it. I polish crap all the time at work, it's super time consuming, and that's with all the tools and supplies you need, several sanders/buffers, etc. Doing it by hand at home, i'd shoot myself. I don't even want to finish the LSJ valve cover I started, i've wetsanded to 1500, just gotta do 2000 and polish, but it takes so long to make it look nice.

Also, polished aluminum never has a deep shine, and it doesn't hold. As mentioned above, you have to clear coat them after or they will fade rapidly, and unless you really take your time and know what to do, aluminum tends to look milky/cloudy when polished. Most people don't realize it, but compare it to polished stainless, which has a true mirror finish and stays that way, and polished aluminum looks like crap.

Wheels are best left painted, IMO, or have them professionally polished.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
It goes fast if you use a palm sander. Start off with a heavy grit to get the clearcoat and paint off quickly. I would suggest like 100 grit. Yes it seems like alot but the clearcoat clogs the sandpaper like mad and it takes alot less time. It's the initial getting the paint and clearcoat off that sucks *****. Then work you're way up. 220, 400, 600 and wetsand with 1000 grit. Do it all with a palm sander. Wayyy less effort and will turn out glass smooth. If you want polishing to be a breeze and mirror finish take a grinder and go to any 18 wheeler shop and buy a buffing wheel they use to polish wheels and tanks as well as a polishing bar compound. You'll be black by the end of polishing all of them but it will look mint and save you a whole lot of time. Then give them a quick hand polish with some mothers and you're all done. But sanding the inserts will be a pain. Personally i would just leave them gunmetal. The nice thing about the SS/SC rim is it's flat. Super easy to work with

P.S I like chrome if you havent noticed lol
Old 06-08-2010, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelightning
It goes fast if you use a palm sander. Start off with a heavy grit to get the clearcoat and paint off quickly. I would suggest like 100 grit. Yes it seems like alot but the clearcoat clogs the sandpaper like mad and it takes alot less time. It's the initial getting the paint and clearcoat off that sucks *****. Then work you're way up. 220, 400, 600 and wetsand with 1000 grit. Do it all with a palm sander. Wayyy less effort and will turn out glass smooth. If you want polishing to be a breeze and mirror finish take a grinder and go to any 18 wheeler shop and buy a buffing wheel they use to polish wheels and tanks as well as a polishing bar compound. You'll be black by the end of polishing all of them but it will look mint and save you a whole lot of time. Then give them a quick hand polish with some mothers and you're all done. But sanding the inserts will be a pain. Personally i would just leave them gunmetal. The nice thing about the SS/SC rim is it's flat. Super easy to work with

P.S I like chrome if you havent noticed lol
That's true, yeah I personnally like Chrome myself, just these rims where a steal, I'm not the impatient type so I'm willing to take my time to get it done right the first time. I was thinking about what has been mention once there mirror polished to powder coat them so I don't have to worry about doing the process over and over again. I understand that mirror polished aluminum isn't like chrome and doesn't give that true reflectivity like chrome, but I personnally think my 2.4L looks better with polished than alloy.

So what type of mother's polish do I need?
Old 06-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Got Bewst?

Originally Posted by KoriCobalt
That's true, yeah I personnally like Chrome myself, just these rims where a steal, I'm not the impatient type so I'm willing to take my time to get it done right the first time. I was thinking about what has been mention once there mirror polished to powder coat them so I don't have to worry about doing the process over and over again. I understand that mirror polished aluminum isn't like chrome and doesn't give that true reflectivity like chrome, but I personnally think my 2.4L looks better with polished than alloy.

So what type of mother's polish do I need?
You arent going to powdercoat them you are going to want to get them clearcoated if you don't want to do them over and over again. But i wouldn't use a rattle can clear. Get an actual body shop to clear em to do it right. Just get mothers aluminum polish
Old 06-08-2010, 04:42 PM

You arent going to powdercoat them you are going to want to get them clearcoated if you don't want to do them over and over again. But i wouldn't use a rattle can clear. Get an actual body shop to clear em to do it right. Just get mothers aluminum polish
Awesome man, yeah I guess it wouldn't cost too much if that's all I wanted for them to do is clear coat it, the next question would be where's the nearest place that'll do it. It's funny how I already converted all my tire pressure sensors to the SS/SC rims and valve stems. Right now I have my stock 17's on and I'm getting that annoying SVS monitor alarm again ( don't think there's any way of getting rid of that ). When they did the job at walmart they just put on the regular stems on my stocks. I do own a palm sander just have to see how this is going to turn out. How much is it for one of those powder coaters anyways? I've checked online and some are $50 and others are for over a $1000.

Is there anything i can do for my caps? They all scratched up and I can't use my stock ones because there bigger.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:13 AM

Unhappy

Well so far this is what I have done the results arent that impressive like I like them to be but I'll have to try again tomorrow and by some more 600 grit, I finally manage to buy a palm sander, is it possible I need to start off with 220 grit first then work my way up all the way with a the sander or just wet sand with each grit?
How long does it take with each grit using the sand palmer? I know by hand 1 hour per grit

Day 1 400,600 grit

Day 2 600,800,1000 grit

The polished one is on the left side

Old 06-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Got Bewst?

Originally Posted by KoriCobalt
Well so far this is what I have done the results arent that impressive like I like them to be but I'll have to try again tomorrow and by some more 600 grit, I finally manage to buy a palm sander, is it possible I need to start off with 220 grit first then work my way up all the way with a the sander or just wet sand with each grit?
How long does it take with each grit using the sand palmer? I know by hand 1 hour per grit
Dude... did you not read my reply... Start with a heavy grit to get the clearcoat and paint off. Looks tough to tell if you have or not by you're pics, i think you do. But you got wayyyy more sanding to do. Doesnt look like you've done any wet sanding. Thats the key. It will take alot less time with a palm sander and give you a much smoother surface. You have to get all those deep scratches out then wet sand the crap out of it so you see no scratches at all. Just smooth aluminum. THEN polish
Old 06-14-2010, 08:13 PM

Dude... did you not read my reply... Start with a heavy grit to get the clearcoat and paint off. Looks tough to tell if you have or not by you're pics, i think you do. But you got wayyyy more sanding to do. Doesnt look like you've done any wet sanding. Thats the key. It will take alot less time with a palm sander and give you a much smoother surface. You have to get all those deep scratches out then wet sand the crap out of it so you see no scratches at all. Just smooth aluminum. THEN polish
Oh man your awesome, I finally got it down without wet sanding, just went threw the grits I had to use up to 2000 grit but I got that mirror finish I been looking for I'll post up a pic of it, now my next question is it possible to grit down the edges of the rim instead of the star?

Old 06-14-2010, 08:33 PM

Sandblast, get chrome plated.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:22 PM

Once you get them looking the way you want then an easy way to maintian them is with a flitz buff ball and some good polish.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by redfox
Once you get them looking the way you want then an easy way to maintian them is with a flitz buff ball and some good polish.
yeah I'll have to do that, yeah I'm gonna invest in a powder coat gun so I can clear coat the crap out of them. It's been very time consuming but I'm finally getting the results I want lol
Old 06-14-2010, 11:52 PM
Got Bewst?

There ya go! Lookin good! If you keep up on them and don't leave them for a long time it's very easy to keep them looking good without having to clearcoat them
Old 06-15-2010, 02:10 AM

There ya go! Lookin good! If you keep up on them and don't leave them for a long time it's very easy to keep them looking good without having to clearcoat them
Yeah man thanks for the advice, I manage to do two rims out of four, I won't be able to get started again until Friday, here are some more pics

Day two:

One mirror polish, other one not

More pics

The hardest part was doing the edges, the star was the easy part only issues I had was rather at 600 or 1000 grit in some areas it took away the mirror, I just use aluminum polish from 1000 grit on it really helps improve the shine
Old 06-15-2010, 12:04 PM

are the sc wheels not shiny and chromey looking like the on ss/na's right out of the factory?
Old 06-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Got Bewst?

are the sc wheels not shiny and chromey looking like the on ss/na's right out of the factory?
07 they were. 05 and 06 were gunmetal
Old 06-15-2010, 01:34 PM

aahhh. sucks. thats such a pain to get a mirror finish, should have tried to trade rims instead lol.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:19 PM

aahhh. sucks. thats such a pain to get a mirror finish, should have tried to trade rims instead lol.
yeah that's true, but the mirror finish looks different from chrome. It's almost like an actual mirror in my eyes. I wanna finish them off so I can use them on the road, after I'm done with these next up are the tires, apparently when I got these one tire doesn't pass inspection standards, only two of them look descent, I might go with toyo tires or something plus there not the right size for my car, I go 1.5 mph ( size 215/45/R18) faster so I don't wanna really screw up the speedometer

Quick Reply: Polishing SS/SC Aluminum Rims to Mirror