Wheels and Tires All about wheels and tires. What fits, show tires, and so on

tire stretching

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The look looks nice, I see it done on Integras.

Though that car you posted up looks undriveable... it's rubbing standing still lol...
Old 09-08-2008, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do you guys think it looks cool? I don't get it. It looks like some moron who didn't know what they're doing picked the wrong size tire for their wheels.......seriously. It will mess with the handling of your car. Drifters do it because it makes the sidewall of the tire way stiffer.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:12 PM

just so you guys have some history of why Vdubs started doing this is becuase in germany there is a law that the tires can not extend past the fender. and being humans that we are we wantes a way around it. hence the stretch tire on the rim.

there are "safe" ways of doing and can be achieved with some good research. now that car pictured is obviously on coilovers or on bags and has been dropped to take the pic. and that is the only way to go about doing it. there is no way you can have regualr springs and have the perfect of a drop.

as far as puting it on a cobalt it migh not look right. however fyi, you would need a wider rim with a high offset so it can stick out further. on that note, good luck finding a rim like that.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:56 PM

That car in the pic has gotta be on air ride...theres no way thats driveable....he'd have a sliced sidewall in 50 feet
Old 09-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Banned

worrrd I was thinking about 13's but I'm not into boso cobalts. ah I'm pissed I really want that silly drop and the tires are so tasty. I have a lot of research to do. Thanks for all the info and all the hating guys stay up
Old 09-08-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
In addition, for the typical "drift car look", relatively narrow tires are often stretched over a wide rim. This is known as a "hipari" tire. For example, 205-50R16 tires may be fitted to an 8" rim, or 215-45R17 to a 9" rim. The driver is essentially still racing on a tire meant for a narrower wheel, but has the "wide look". The stretched sidewalls are also more resistant to flex under cornering loads, which can make an inexpensive high-profile tire respond more like an expensive high-performance tire.

Source: http://www.highspeeddrifter.com/car-config.html

just my .02 c

only real damage would be like the rest have said curb rash... and if your tires were not inflated to the proper psi then you could risk the tired unseeding, but if you got a newer cobalt with the TPMS then i'd warn you if you got to low in tire pressure... should be good.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by snake890217
It's deff different... just don't slam your car that low.

ha! it would look retarded if he didnt slam his car that low...... do it up, just tryn have little to no wheel gap.

Originally Posted by zillaguy07
That car in the pic has gotta be on air ride...theres no way thats driveable....he'd have a sliced sidewall in 50 feet
totally not true.

edit: yes possibly on air ride. but its driveable ive been around many...
Old 09-09-2008, 12:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My buddys vr6 jetta dumped on coils and stretching 205/40's on 16x9's here is some real stretch.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:34 AM

Not practical unless this is going to be a drift car only (not driven on the street)...
Old 09-09-2008, 12:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the vdub isnt a drift car and it is driven on the street?
Old 09-09-2008, 12:42 AM

People will do what they will do...
Old 09-09-2008, 12:44 AM

its for clearance issues. inorder to use wide wheels yet still be low as possible
Old 09-09-2008, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by roccosassistantVW
its for clearance issues. inorder to use wide wheels yet still be low as possible
In theory......why do people go with wide wheels? So they can put wide tires on the car. Going with wide wheels and narrow tires totally defeats the whole purpose of having wide wheels to begin with......stupid. This is definitely a "fad". Remember when parachute pants were cool?
Old 09-09-2008, 11:19 AM

a fad? i think not, its a ******* style that has been going on in the vw community for years. it goes way back to the first mk1 golfs. its a german style. whats the american style? chrome rimzzzz and stock ride heights??

y dont u stop thinking of of everything that is "purposeful" and get your performance dick out of your ass. have some style instead of tire rack rims and tires. its clearly not for performance. most people dont try and make a race car out of a fuckn jetta. and id still like to see your little performance machince next to a vrt that would be a laugh.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:26 AM

I have wider rims on the back of my car for an offset look....and honestly it does not look that bad. The rear tire is slightly "stretched" if you want to call it that. It is a 235/35R19 on the rear...I could go to a 245 or 255 series, but then the tire would rub the fender rather badly. I also rolled the inner lip of my rear fenders and it took all of 1 1/2 hours to do. It is not that hard.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by ff_drift_lol
Hater. I don't follow trends. I'm a careful driver I'm not worried about rash
you dont follow trends? um.......
Old 09-09-2008, 11:27 AM

that looks good 19 under the balt... wow..
Old 09-09-2008, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a difference between stretched and over stretched. They stretch the tires to reduce the roll in the sidewall of the tire to allow faster lateral traction reaction. In reference to the picture you showed if you go more than that it's dangerous you risk unbeading the tire. And you think you wheel hop now. Ha

Tire Stretching:

constantly place an enormous amount of effort, research, money, etc into the credibility that the industry, as well as customers bestow on us. It would deflate/
defeat that reputation by stepping outside the Tire Manufacturers recommendations for given rim width specification range. Regardless of whatever the current/latest "style" happens to be. Our position will continue to be to adhere to that which the USA Tire Manufacturers Tire Specifications/recommendations are.

For any given tire that I sell, if you look at (any of), the tire you'll find the Rim Width Range recommendations. All of these specs are supplied by the individual Tire Manu-
facturers. Bottom line-I don't know why anyone would second guess the highly trained "Rubber" Engineers, employed by the Tire Manufacturers.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:30 AM

a fad? i think not, its a ******* style that has been going on in the vw community for years. it goes way back to the first mk1 golfs. its a german style. whats the american style? chrome rimzzzz and stock ride heights??

y dont u stop thinking of of everything that is "purposeful" and get your performance dick out of your ass. have some style instead of tire rack rims and tires. its clearly not for performance. most people dont try and make a race car out of a fuckn jetta. and id still like to see your little performance machince next to a vrt that would be a laugh.
Shut your mouth VW troll.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:37 AM

lower it

Originally Posted by YellowLT
There's a difference between stretched and over stretched. They stretch the tires to reduce the roll in the sidewall of the tire to allow faster lateral traction reaction. In reference to the picture you showed if you go more than that it's dangerous you risk unbeading the tire. And you think you wheel hop now. Ha

Tire Stretching:

constantly place an enormous amount of effort, research, money, etc into the credibility that the industry, as well as customers bestow on us. It would deflate/
defeat that reputation by stepping outside the Tire Manufacturers recommendations for given rim width specification range. Regardless of whatever the current/latest "style" happens to be. Our position will continue to be to adhere to that which the USA Tire Manufacturers Tire Specifications/recommendations are.

For any given tire that I sell, if you look at (any of), the tire you'll find the Rim Width Range recommendations. All of these specs are supplied by the individual Tire Manu-
facturers. Bottom line-I don't know why anyone would second guess the highly trained "Rubber" Engineers, employed by the Tire Manufacturers.

Surgeon general's warning. Do you listen to it when you crack a beer? Unless your pregnant

Last edited by roccosassistantVW; 09-09-2008 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-09-2008, 11:39 AM

great reasoning

i bet you go sticking your hands in saws too because the warning is just there for show isnt it?
Old 09-09-2008, 05:02 PM

yep,

great reasoning

i think stretching tires, which has been done for ages is probably as risky as drinking A beer is to your health. its not unsafe. keep them inflated and u dont risk unbeading. only storys of people having trouble with blowouts on stretched tires was poor maintanence (low tire pressure)
Old 09-09-2008, 08:53 PM

yep,

great reasoning

i think stretching tires, which has been done for ages is probably as risky as drinking A beer is to your health. its not unsafe. keep them inflated and u dont risk unbeading. only storys of people having trouble with blowouts on stretched tires was poor maintanence (low tire pressure)
Tire manufacturers design tires to be installed within a specific wheel width range.....and they do it for a reason. I've been in the tire business for over 7 years now so I probably have a little more experience with tires than you do.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:03 PM

tires are made to have straight sidewalls you do know that right?
and how could you think its not dangerous? good luck replacing tires every week.

oh yeah, and why are you so set on following a trend?
just because some german VW guy stretched his tires, you think you should too? way to follow people.
and how is having style having stretched tires?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:13 PM

rice=form over function

Quick Reply: tire stretching