Wheels and Tires All about wheels and tires. What fits, show tires, and so on

Yet Another Low Tire Pressure Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yet Another Low Tire Pressure Thread

Hey Everyone,
So I've been having problems the past year with low tire pressure on 3 of my four tires. The back right one is the only good one. The tires have a descent amount of tread on them and are only about 2 years old, maybe 3.

I took off my wheels, and sprayed soapy water on them, and found the leaks to be around where the bead is. I had a local tire shop, dismount all FOUR and clean the corrosion off and reseal them. This worked for a while but then the tire pressure is still dropping.

Well anyways, the week of thanksgiving, I took a road trip, and I drove my Jeep. It was up north and the Jeep can carry more stuff, and can get warmer faster. Glad I did. When I got back, I forgot to check my Cobalt's tire pressure before Driving it to work yesterday. On the drive to/ from work, it kept pulling to the right. Same symptoms it had when the pressure was low.

So this morning, I check the pressure. Right front wheel was at 8psi!!! The car had sat in my garage for a week. I got all four tires up to 33 psi (1psi higher then recommended) I'll check them again after work tonight. I'll keep an eye on it.

I was considering MAYBE a road trip to Atlanta (Approx 4 hours 1 way) next week, and then to Orlando (Approx 6 hours one way) for Christmas. But looking at that right front tire, seeing where it was sitting, I can see small visable abrations, probably where the tire was sitting on the ground for a week with low pressure. At what point should this tire be replaced? At the least I'd have to replace both front ones, so they have the same wear. Also, I did a search and found some one posted something about a TSB for tires loosing air. After reading it, it said that if the leak is near the bead to replace the wheel. That's where mine have been, so according to the TSB I need new rims...
Hmmm.

So what do you guys think? What rims should I get? Do I need to repalce this tire that sat for a week at 8psi and was driven about 10 miles at a speed of up to 50mph?

I have the GoodYear Eagle GTs.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you should maybe check out your valve stems and see if they are leaking anywhere. It's something that gets overlooked sometimes. With the tire sitting flat it may have effected it, but not always. If you think replacing will fix the issue, it may not be a bad idea, but if they are still good shape it may not be worth it.

Also maybe start looking for a good used set of 4 tires in your area. They are generally much cheaper.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:50 AM

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts
Take them back to the tire shop.
That is not normal.
I always use bead sealer in liberal amounts for this reason.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:55 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
yeah check the valve stems and also where are you taking the tires to be put on ? is it a reputable shop ?
Old 12-09-2014, 07:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yellowsupercharged06
yeah check the valve stems and also where are you taking the tires to be put on ? is it a reputable shop ?
Checked the valve cores. Yes, it's a good shop. They specalise in aftermarket rims, and car audio. I'm leaking around the bead area. The service bulletin says to replace the wheel.