2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Factory Airbox Mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes 08inBama that is the correct line.

and umrdyldo the problem with the higher IATs at idle is that it throws off your short term fuel trims, further throwing off your long term fuel trims which will lead to a reduction in power, hence why this mod (when fully completed) works. I'm coming from a SRI to the full modded airbox and the difference in driveability is night and day.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sandeale

and umrdyldo the problem with the higher IATs at idle is that it throws off your short term fuel trims, further throwing off your long term fuel trims which will lead to a reduction in power, hence why this mod (when fully completed) works. I'm coming from a SRI to the full modded airbox and the difference in driveability is night and day.
I am going to rig up a ram air system to the airbox where the snorkel used to be to see if there are any gains in airflow to be had.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Terminator2
I am going to rig up a ram air system to the airbox where the snorkel used to be to see if there are any gains in airflow to be had.
What about through the fog light hole?

On that note, you could probably use those holes to duct more air to the front brakes too for those planning on doing hardcore road course kinda stuff.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:49 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Yes but when moving the IAT drops to normal so who cares about STFT and LTFT at idle? Shouldn't affect the cars performance any.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:13 PM

Let me know how that works out Term I was considering it but I've never got around to it.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:18 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
If it works, sell the design to someone like ZZP or CIA and have them produce a new ram air snorkel for the cars that fits in the factory position.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've noticed some issues with the AEM CIA performance also. I get a jerk when letting off from mild throttle, say +5 lbs boost. As it decreases to around -5" on a fast release, the car jerks once. I never noticed this when running the stock air box snorkeless with a K&N. Interested to see the results of this too.

My LTFT's and STFT's have been trimmed for the AEM but no matter what I still get this 'surge' (for lack of a better description) 2 - 3 times a commute unless I release the throttle really slow from highway speeds.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Iam Broke
I've noticed some issues with the AEM CIA performance also. I get a jerk when letting off from mild throttle, say +5 lbs boost. As it decreases to around -5" on a fast release, the car jerks once. I never noticed this when running the stock air box snorkeless with a K&N. Interested to see the results of this too.

My LTFT's and STFT's have been trimmed for the AEM but no matter what I still get this 'surge' (for lack of a better description) 2 - 3 times a commute unless I release the throttle really slow from highway speeds.
It looked like you were getting the cold start compressor surge from your last log as well.

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
If it works, sell the design to someone like ZZP or CIA and have them produce a new ram air snorkel for the cars that fits in the factory position.
That is a good idea. Now for some airflow testing.

Let me know how that works out Term I was considering it but I've never got around to it.
Will do. I am probably going to use 3-4" Drain pipe and an air vent duct.

Last edited by Terminator2; 08-18-2009 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-18-2009, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looked like you were getting the cold start compressor surge from your last log as well.
Yes I do. You can hear it plainly with the CAI.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:21 PM

This surging from cruising only happens it seems after the final tuning session when I dialed in the fuel trims. I'm not so sure it's the intake. The idle seems to be a little erratic making the car sound like it has a cam lope, I noticed the AFR fluctuate and the timing jumping around. HPT needs to get this ECM fully unlocked asap.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by ninja44
This surging from cruising only happens it seems after the final tuning session when I dialed in the fuel trims. I'm not so sure it's the intake. The idle seems to be a little erratic making the car sound like it has a cam lope, I noticed the AFR fluctuate and the timing jumping around. HPT needs to get this ECM fully unlocked asap.
For the most part my A/F is spot one. I have tried everythng I can think of to tune out that damn surge and I am out of ideas. I have tried leaning it out in those areas and richening it up as well. Same results either way.

On a side note. How do you like those Pedders springs?

Last edited by Terminator2; 08-18-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-18-2009, 01:45 PM

On a side note. How do you like those Pedders springs?
How do you like your AEM
Old 08-18-2009, 01:48 PM

I think that timing fluctuation at idle is directly related to the off throttle surging we are seeing. I have the trims at -1 - 0 and a commanded AFR of 12.5:1 solid. That surge only came when I advanced the timing in the mid range. So as of now it's either a little surging or remove timing, for the extra kick I'll live with the surge it's not that bad. I've tried a few things also to no avail.

The Pedders springs are great! Rides pretty much like stock cruising on the street, super smooth. Once you get going in the turns it will tighten up and it rails in the corners. The drop is about 1" front and back which is perfect as I drive all year round so I don't snow plow lol. They are worth the extra money you pay over Eibachs.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by crypticscifer
How do you like your AEM
Not so much now as it causes the compressor to surge especially on cold start up. I have tried for weeks to tune out the surge to no avail.

I think that timing fluctuation at idle is directly related to the off throttle surging we are seeing. I have the trims at -1 - 0 and a commanded AFR of 12.5:1 solid. That surge only came when I advanced the timing in the mid range. So as of now it's either a little surging or remove timing, for the extra kick I'll live with the surge it's not that bad. I've tried a few things also to no avail.

The Pedders springs are great! Rides pretty much like stock cruising on the street, super smooth. Once you get going in the turns it will tighten up and it rails in the corners. The drop is about 1" front and back which is perfect as I drive all year round so I don't snow plow lol. They are worth the extra money you pay over Eibachs.
Cool. Where did you get them?

Last edited by Terminator2; 08-18-2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-18-2009, 02:09 PM

I ordered them through a shop in Buffalo and drove down to pick them up myself. Most of the other guys (Maven, Quikredline etc) got them through OTTP. Somebody over in the suspension section is trying to get a GB going if you're interested, if you want smooth handling these are the ones to get as I've tried almost all available.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/suspension-67/potential-group-buy-pedder-springs-185282/
Old 08-18-2009, 02:14 PM

I ordered them through a shop in Buffalo and drove down to pick them up myself. Most of the other guys (Maven, Quikredline etc) got them through OTTP. Somebody over in the suspension section is trying to get a GB going if you're interested, if you want smooth handling these are the ones to get as I've tried almost all available.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=185282
Thanks man.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:16 PM

will SOMEONE please do a thorough HOW TO along with links to get the parts. I thought these parts were available through zzp but i searched there site and its a no go.. is the silicone arm still 160$ from summit or is there a cheaper place?
Old 08-18-2009, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by madlion
will SOMEONE please do a thorough HOW TO along with links to get the parts. I thought these parts were available through zzp but i searched there site and its a no go.. is the silicone arm still 160$ from summit or is there a cheaper place?
The how to is on the first page.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ill be doing this tonight most likey or just replacing my Hahn CAI with the factory box once again
Old 08-18-2009, 02:35 PM

If I remove the timing from the midrange the surging disappears, and driveability is perfect. I think more tables need to be opened to fix up the surging.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by madlion
We can not purchase the AEM silicone section separate. Someone else also stated that Summit was the only place where you can get the silicone section without the rest of the intake kit.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Matt M
We can not purchase the AEM silicone section separate. Someone else also stated that Summit was the only place where you can get the silicone section without the rest of the intake kit.
If there was a will would there be a way....
Old 08-18-2009, 03:17 PM

its funny you guys mention that start up surge, I have it as well... now i'm running Matt's airbox mod on the stock elbow for now(about to replace it)... and I have the Superchips cortex tune(for now, will get a custom one when I get more bolt-ons) and when I was stock, I didn't have this... with the Superchips tune, its present... mine happens when I 1st start the car all the way to I get around 40mph, I have to basically feather the gas to avoid it... once I get to about 40 and shift to 3rd, it completely goes away... and it didn't do it on the stock tune
Old 08-18-2009, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by 08inBama
its funny you guys mention that start up surge, I have it as well... now i'm running Matt's airbox mod on the stock elbow for now(about to replace it)... and I have the Superchips cortex tune(for now, will get a custom one when I get more bolt-ons) and when I was stock, I didn't have this... with the Superchips tune, its present... mine happens when I 1st start the car all the way to I get around 40mph, I have to basically feather the gas to avoid it... once I get to about 40 and shift to 3rd, it completely goes away... and it didn't do it on the stock tune
Do you still have your stock airbox tube that connects to the turbo? It could be that the breather or the tube itself is causing the issue. Only one way to know for sure. Mine never surged with my tune before the AEM intake. Maybe it is the elbow portion?
Old 08-18-2009, 03:28 PM

the how to wasnt THOROUGH and didnt show the aem silicone tube. plus it was zoomed in pretty far and wasnt a true how to. not knocking it, its better then nothing. i just dont want to screw up and could use some clearer pictures and instructions

Quick Reply: Factory Airbox Mod