2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

Saab turboed ion build/question thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo 2.4 ion build

Picked up a partial Saab turbo kit to boost my ion, hopefully have it ready to be tuned for when it comes out in the spring.
Kit includes:
Td04l turbo
Saab turbo manifold
Saab intake manifold
Oem Saab Oil and coolant lines
Saab thermostat housing
Charge piping that runs behind and under the motor
Saab throttle body
Intercooler

I also have a set of 60s from a supercharger build for the gfs car that she's put on hold.

I've already decided I'll just be using the block for oil feed, tapping the pan for my oil drain, and more then likely just tapping into the heater core lines for coolant.
But do I need to use the thermostat housing?

Also have to get my flange cut for my 2.5" downpipe that I'll be fabbing at work...thank god for working at a stainless fab shop haha.

Last edited by jdn902; 08-14-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:06 PM

Took some time the other day to pick at the ion.
Got my new muffler properly in place, as well as a few other things

I started modifying my intake manifold for use with the turbo build.
I shaved down a bit and get my stock tb fitting. Figured out how much I have to port the inlet and over all just laid out what I have to do to it.

Some of the other things I've done to the car so far are Powell rear sway bar, DIY bezel pod(adding another to make it a dual pod) ,ion redline rear seats and I modified a set of cobalt seats to fit recaro foams and skins. I got the full set for free but they came from a rollover so the front frames were twisted. It took a lot to modify the cobalt seats and get everything back together.

They're not perfect,few wrinkles and such but they feel amazing and hold you nicely. I have headrests I just have to pick them up

I still need to order gauges, boost and wideband. But I'm trying to get as much done ahead if time as I can.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:27 AM

Looking good. I'm running the same turbo on a 2.4 hhr. You may want to look at injectorsand stuff as well, and e85 to help with knock and exhaust temps.

I used a thermostat housing from a Malibu that had an extra port on it. You do need it. For coolant return I got the plastic coupler from a junk yard 9-3 and made it fit in line with my coolant fill cap.

I returned my oil to the pan rather than the block.I did it bad though and it leaks a little. These engines take boost a lot better than people claim I'm impressed. Just make sure you tune it well.

The under the motor piping didn't work for me mines automatic so I welded upsome for under the motor, and used eBay piping for the rest.

Exhaust was an interesting one tofab up as well.

What made you decide to use the Saab intake manifold? I kept mine stock, it sounded online like it flows better.

Let me know if you have any questions, my complete install took me 2 solid days.

Last edited by TJ Lillo; 08-18-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by TJ Lillo
Looking good. I'm running the same turbo on a 2.4 hhr. You may want to look at injectorsand stuff as well, and e85 to help with knock and exhaust temps.

I used a thermostat housing from a Malibu that had an extra port on it. You do need it. For coolant return I got the plastic coupler from a junk yard 9-3 and made it fit in line with my coolant fill cap.

I returned my oil to the pan rather than the block.I did it bad though and it leaks a little. These engines take boost a lot better than people claim I'm impressed. Just make sure you tune it well.

The under the motor piping didn't work for me mines automatic so I welded upsome for under the motor, and used eBay piping for the rest.

Exhaust was an interesting one tofab up as well.

What made you decide to use the Saab intake manifold? I kept mine stock, it sounded online like it flows better.

Let me know if you have any questions, my complete install took me 2 solid days.
I have a set of 60s for injectors, probably more then I need but I already have them.
I went with the Saab intake manifold for a few reasons, I like modifying things to work, and welding, also I wanted something I could powder coat, as well I want to put the 2.4 manifold on either my sedan or the gfs project cobalt.
Once the flange is made up downpipe shouldn't be hard. I've got enough 2.5" stainless or 3"
I was hoping to t into my heater lines but I do have the Saab thermostat housing so I may as well use it.
Do you have a build thread anywhere? I'd love to see one!
Old 08-22-2016, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by jdn902
I have a set of 60s for injectors, probably more then I need but I already have them.
I went with the Saab intake manifold for a few reasons, I like modifying things to work, and welding, also I wanted something I could powder coat, as well I want to put the 2.4 manifold on either my sedan or the gfs project cobalt.
Once the flange is made up downpipe shouldn't be hard. I've got enough 2.5" stainless or 3"
I was hoping to t into my heater lines but I do have the Saab thermostat housing so I may as well use it.
Do you have a build thread anywhere? I'd love to see one!
I wish I would have put up a build thread. I did it in a weekend so I didn't take much for pictures. I got most of it done in 2 days, just been fine tuning it otherwise.

The engine picture is old, I'm out of town so I don't have a new one. I've dressed up the engine bay since and added a few things. Most of the stuff is stock from the hhr or the saab or other saabs.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:28 PM

That looks like a fun hhr! I'd love to pick up an hhr for a daily tbh.

I've got a few things done. First thing is I've got the hole on the manifold welded up. So all that's left is adding the map pad on the bottom.

I'm not sure what map sensor I'll be using. I'm thinking of just sticking with the stock map but yeah...undecided.

I also took some time to make up a cardboard template of my downpipe flange.

Nothing fancy but it did the trick. I brought it up to one of the engineers at work and he wrote a program for the waterjet. A little later I had my 3" flange cut.

3" is probably overkill for this turbo but I've got 2 elbows and a good length of tubing that's 3" so I may as well use it.

Still have to see how much random intake tubing I have to see if I can get most of my intercooler piping done.
I'm trying to do this on a budget and as well as build what I can on my own. I don't get the chance to build/fabricate cool **** that interests me like this at work.
I know it's a bit slow but I'm in no rush tbh.