ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

ZZP Major Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well just a few updates on the major vvt issue. I have it narrowed down to a few different possible causes. I think there is either oil blockage, may have stretched timing chain and jump time or maybe the cam actuators. We run a quick log on the car and the intake cam never moved off 0 and exhaust only moves from 0 to 0.2.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
suppose i should sub, i missed this thread completely. i'm loving these big zzp builds lately! good luck!
Old 10-08-2013, 11:50 AM

Sounds like a typical ZZP build, I swear one day people on here will realize they are not everything they are cracked up to be.

They make decent parts sure...but I wouldn't trust them to build me a car or even a motor.

My buddy had a short block built by ZZP, it blew up, he took it apart and one piston had all the ring gaps lined up in a row. That was obviously the piston that failed.

Another guy I know who had ZZP build him a motor, gave it a once over upon receiving it to make sure everything was done properly. Ended up having to pull the motor apart since there was numerous assembly errors.

But will people listen? Nope.

Even this guy, ZZP builds him a car....thing doesn't work properly and has all kinds of issues. Everyone blames him and not ZZP.

That makes a lot of sense.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:11 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
im not blaming the guy as i have fixed zzp stuff but imblaming himfor complaining about his gauge readings and high boost levels yet not having the proper stuff to log it,
Old 10-08-2013, 12:12 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by riceburner
suppose i should sub, i missed this thread completely. i'm loving these big zzp builds lately! good luck!
This thread is old bro. Lol. Guy has already sold the car.

Originally Posted by newt
Sounds like a typical ZZP build, I swear one day people on here will realize they are not everything they are cracked up to be.

They make decent parts sure...but I wouldn't trust them to build me a car or even a motor.

My buddy had a short block built by ZZP, it blew up, he took it apart and one piston had all the ring gaps lined up in a row. That was obviously the piston that failed.

Another guy I know who had ZZP build him a motor, gave it a once over upon receiving it to make sure everything was done properly. Ended up having to pull the motor apart since there was numerous assembly errors.

Even this guy, ZZP builds him a car....thing doesn't work properly and has all kinds of issues. Everyone blames him and not ZZP.

Lolwut? There are FAR more people who have zzp built cars that don't have problems and/or work with zzp to relieve the issue than those who have problems.

Most people who have issues contact them and they take care of them. But all the people who bitch and complain and slander them try to do everything themselves and expect a car not to have gremlins and go on the forums to gripe.

I disagree and say THEY ARE everything they say/cracked up to be. As one of, if not their highest hp customers who has the highest chance to break something. ..why is it that I haven't had all these problems?
Old 10-08-2013, 03:01 PM

My buddy who had the short block built did contact ZZP, they told him he abused the engine and that is why it blew up. He sent them a picture clearly showing all the ring end gaps lined up on one piston and the damage it caused, they still claimed it was abuse and refused to do anything for him.

The other guy is a bit of a special case, he knew how to properly assemble a motor but lacked the time to do so. After the motor came back improperly built, he just decided to re-build it himself rather than risk it again with ZZP.

These people didn't even go on the forums and bitch, they just cut their losses and moved on with life, I'm simply bringing them up as an example because people never hear about them.

As for gremlins, if I am paying top dollar to have my car built by a shop I would expect a car in return free of any major gremlins cause afterall, that is why you are paying "professionals" to build the car. They should know what they are doing and do it right the first time.

I don't doubt they can build something right, so perhaps you got lucky there, what I'm saying is seemingly everyone I know who has dealt with ZZP has had very bad experience, from the guys I know who had their valve springs snap, to my buddies motor with the piston rings, to the guy whos motor wasn't assembled properly.

I'm glad you have had a good experience, I'm glad for everyone who has had a good experience with them...I really am.

But they will never get a dollar from me based on the way they have treated my friends the quality of product they sold them.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:08 PM

I should add I can only imagine I will get another forum warning or suspension for saying something bad about the almighty ZZP....lol
Old 10-08-2013, 03:28 PM

My buddy who had the short block built did contact ZZP, they told him he abused the engine and that is why it blew up. He sent them a picture clearly showing all the ring end gaps lined up on one piston and the damage it caused, they still claimed it was abuse and refused to do anything for him.

The other guy is a bit of a special case, he knew how to properly assemble a motor but lacked the time to do so. After the motor came back improperly built, he just decided to re-build it himself rather than risk it again with ZZP.

These people didn't even go on the forums and bitch, they just cut their losses and moved on with life, I'm simply bringing them up as an example because people never hear about them.

As for gremlins, if I am paying top dollar to have my car built by a shop I would expect a car in return free of any major gremlins cause afterall, that is why you are paying "professionals" to build the car. They should know what they are doing and do it right the first time.

I don't doubt they can build something right, so perhaps you got lucky there, what I'm saying is seemingly everyone I know who has dealt with ZZP has had very bad experience, from the guys I know who had their valve springs snap, to my buddies motor with the piston rings, to the guy whos motor wasn't assembled properly.

I'm glad you have had a good experience, I'm glad for everyone who has had a good experience with them...I really am.

But they will never get a dollar from me based on the way they have treated my friends the quality of product they sold them.
No lie, its most likely how he approached them. If you go in there blaming them and trying to get heated out of the gates, you're right, I doubt anyone would do anything for you.

But you're using a few of your buddy's instances to make a judgement on a bunch of guys who do quite a bit for the community and are excellent people to work with and talk to.

As far as paying professionals... Dude, do you know how many AMS GTRs have 'gremlins'? There are ALWAYS unforeseen things that can happen, or go wrong. People make mistakes, sometimes things get lost, etc. ANY and EVERY shop you go to, there will always be a a few cars with some sort of minor (sometimes major) issues. Whether it be tuning or mechanical, and its not always the shops fault. Every car is built differently as well.

My car has been there numerous times, and things are always done right. I don't consider it luck in the least.

Its okay if you don't want their products, and have had bad experiences with them. Some people have. They'll get by, I'm sure. :P
Old 10-08-2013, 04:05 PM

I had a big long response written out...but then I said **** it....whats the point.

I'm glad your **** works, long live ZZP.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=newt;7173918]Sounds like a typical ZZP build, I swear one day people on here will realize they are not everything they are cracked up to be.

Rings spin r/t the crosshatching of the cylinder. There are points in which they will all line up no matter what you do.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:59 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
to a point thats correct but if its done right they shouldnt remain lined up or should never line up.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:04 PM

I haven't said anything to anyone about zzp. I haven't even tried to contact zzp as of yet bc they prolly wont stand behind it any way bc im not the guy who originally built the car and footed the bill.I purchased the car as is and brought this thread back up in case anyone was wandering what happened to the car or where it went.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow! This thread is amazing. I'll start by saying that this is the first that I heard of issues with this car. No, the customer did not contact me about any issues at all.(edit- he did email asking about a bolt that he wanted to replace) Just before he left our shop, we discussed fine tuning his setup over email by hp tuners.

Second- I can't believe what I read here:

Originally Posted by A8r9b
So I'm getting ready to make a big post and put up a few vids of the car ....

However I'm dissatisfied with couple things I'll get into on my next post... I do have a question for you all!

I'm working on turning my boost up a few pounds (its turned down from my high dyno runs) and can't get the boost controller to cooperate. It looks hooked up wrong actually..

For those of you who have hooked up a zzp boost controller with a tial wastegate here is the question.

The top of the wastegate is hooked up as follows - Turbocharger vacuum to MBC to top of the wastegate

The bottom hole is hooked up as follows - Lower IC piping straight to the bottom air hole on the wastegate.

From what I read the correct way is to hook up a MBC straight from a boost source (Turbo or IC piping) to MBC to bottom wastegate hole and leave the top vented....

Thats a lot of babble, let me know if you guys understand, I have Term2 helping with tuning and he has told me nothing in the ECU is restricting boost, it sounds to me like its just running on WG pressure and the top hole is doing nothing..
From the sounds of this, the customer was cranking the boost who knows how high because he thought the boost was not going up. I assume he was easily past 30psi, maybe over 35 if he kept trying to turn it higher. Then to top it off, he unhooked the regulator stlye boost controller which was clearly connected properly according to his post above. Then he proceeded to hook it up wrong and then continue to drive the car. At this point, he still had not contacted me about boosting issues. And yes, he had my email address.

Lets take this a step further. I went back and read all of our emails to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I found an email from him that started out:
Hey Matt,

My name is xxxxx xxxxxxx, I picked up your email from Tim. I thought I would give you a heads up that I would be sending a scan log soon. I wanted to see if there is anything in-particular you wanted to see.
I responded by providing him with a config file for his hp tuners. He later sent a couple more emails asking questions, and never once mentioned a boost problem and never sent a single scan. Then months later I am reading on a forum about how we wouldn't help him. Amazing.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:34 PM

I don't recall him saying that you wouldn't help him, more so that he didn't want to bother with it anymore.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Former Vendor

It doesn't surprise me that you are in here talking ****. Some things never change.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by andrewcarr1993
I don't recall him saying that you wouldn't help him, more so that he didn't want to bother with it anymore.
He clearly said that zzp wasnt good at getting back to him by email. Every email he sent me up to that point was answered the same day.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:39 PM

As you can tell the guy has much more money than car sense. Even if given proper responses he may not have known what was going on.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:42 PM

And the bullshit is dispersed!
Old 10-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by andrewcarr1993
As you can tell the guy has much more money than car sense. Even if given proper responses he may not have known what was going on.
But why not email me? He emailed to ask for a bolt which is self explanatory, but then he takes it upon himself to reconfigure his boost controller the wrong way!

Plus he watched us dyno his car, adjusting the boost as we went. How does he figure it got hooked up "wrong" on his way home?

Last edited by Matt M; 10-10-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-10-2013, 03:50 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt M
But why not email me? He emailed to ask for a bolt which is self explanatory, but then he takes it upon himself to reconfigure his boost controller the wrong way!

Plus he watched us dyno his car, adjusting the boost as we went. How does he figure it got hooked up "wrong" on his way home?
I'm sure you already know this, but some ppl think they know everything and more boost = more power, and there is no such thing as to much boost
Old 10-10-2013, 03:59 PM

I see a common thread from people who bitch and have problems with ZZP.....they all do dumb **** and lie about what's done
Old 10-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Scythe_Snake
I see a common thread from people who bitch and have problems with ZZP.....they all do dumb **** and lie about what's done
Also, anyone who makes the statement, "I'm working with so and so to fix this..." (with the so and so not being zzp) will almost always fail. There are just certain guys that develop a solid relationship with zzp and work with us exclusively if there are any concerns. These guys have the fastest cars and the fewest problems. Then there are others who immediately go to the forums or a different shop or member to try to work things out, and typically their car is never right again.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:15 PM

For example a recently sold SS/TC with a built engine and 25G turbo.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:42 PM

People will bash ZZP because it's something to do with their time. I'm not ZZP built, but respect what they do for the community.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Matt M
Wow! This thread is amazing. I'll start by saying that this is the first that I heard of issues with this car. No, the customer did not contact me about any issues
I sent you a pm. Old owner hasn't had the car since mid part of July. I bought it in first part of Aug. I have not bashed zzp nor do I plan to. Lets move on to fixing the car the way it needs to b. I haven't talked to any one else's shop nor has it been to any one else's shop. I haven't even put I wrench any where except to replace Turbo bolts that were falling out 2 weeks after I had it. U have my contact info in the pm.

Quick Reply: ZZP Major Build