General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Condensation in Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Condensation in Headlights

I live in Florida and the humidity is outrageous here, but this is the first time I've noticed condensation on the inside of one of my headlights. Has anyone else experienced this yet so early having the car? This is usually something I notice in the latter years of owning a new vehicle. Maybe I'm just **** about it and am worrying about nothing.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:51 PM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
i got both replaced by warranty for same prob
Old 07-23-2005, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Scarred
I live in Florida and the humidity is outrageous here, but this is the first time I've noticed condensation on the inside of one of my headlights. Has anyone else experienced this yet so early having the car? This is usually something I notice in the latter years of owning a new vehicle. Maybe I'm just **** about it and am worrying about nothing.
Definitely get that replaced - you could have some serious electrical problems if you don't.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Okay, before all hell brreaks loose. First off condensation in a headlamp wont cause serious electrical issues....really the worst that will happen is if the bulb gets WET when hot it will expire.The following information is being provided to better define the causes of condensation in exterior lamps and includes guidelines for determining the difference between a lamp with a normal atmospheric condition (condensation) and a lamp with a water leak.

Some exterior lamps, such as cornering, turn signal, backup, headlamps or tail lamps may exhibit very small droplets of water, a fine mist or white fog (condensation) on the inside of the lamp lens. This may be more noticeable on lamps with "multi-lens" designs and may be normal during certain weather conditions.

Condensation occurs when the air inside the lamp assembly, through atmospheric changes, reaches the "dew point". When this takes place, the moisture in the air within the lamp assembly condenses, creating a fine mist or white fog on the inside surface of the lamp lens.

Most exterior lamps on General Motors vehicles use a vented design and feature a replaceable bulb assembly. They are designed to remove any accumulated moisture vapor by expelling it through a vent system. The vent system operates at all times, however, it is most effective when the lamps are ON or when the vehicle is in motion. Depending on the size, shape and location of the lamp on the vehicle, and the atmospheric conditions occurring, the amount of time required to clear the lamp may vary from 2 to 6 hours.

Completely sealed headlamp assemblies (sealed beams) are still used on a limited number of models being manufactured today. These lamps require the replacement of the complete lamp assembly if a bulb filament burns out.

Condensation

A Fine Mist or White Fog on the Inside Surface of the Lamp Lens Occurring After a Period of High Humidity

• May be located primarily in the lens corners (near the vents) and SHOULD NOT cover more than half the lens surface.

• The condition should clear of moisture when the vehicle is parked in a dry environment, or when the vehicle is driven with the lights ON.

• A comparison of the equivalent lamp on the opposing side of the vehicle indicates a SIMILAR performance.

If the above conditions are noted, the customer should be advised that replacement of a lamp assembly may not correct this condition.

Water Leak

Numerous & Various Size Drops of Water Collecting on the Inside Surface of the Lamp Lens After the Vehicle Has Been Exposed to Rain or a Car Washing Environment

• A condition that covers more than half the surface of the lamp lens.

• An accumulation of water in the bottom of the lamp assembly.

• A condition that WON'T clear when the vehicle is parked in a dry environment, or when the vehicle is driven with the lights ON.

• A comparison of the equivalent lamp on the opposing side of the vehicle indicates a different performance.

Any of the above conditions would indicate the need to service the lens or lamp assembly
Old 07-23-2005, 02:34 PM

Ya, I just walked out to the car last night and it was just less than half of the head lamp. When going to work this morning about 1/4 of the head lamp had condensation. It's probably just the extreme humidity we've had here lately. I'm not going to sweat it unless it gets any worse. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:38 PM

Maven
Where do you live? So i can bring my car to you when i have a problem
You have an incredible knowledge about all aspects of cars...
Ive learned like 5 new pointers so far from your posts
Keep up the good work
Dan
Old 07-28-2005, 06:34 PM

just got one of mine replaced under warrenty
Old 03-30-2007, 09:27 AM

bringing up the dead is better then starting a thread .. haha that rhymed but anywho....

Iv got some seriousl condensation in my stock headlight (passanger side). ironicly the driver side i hit a guard rail b4 and cracked the back housing so its not even sealed right and that one is perfect haha.

so my question is will my dealership replace the headlight? but problem is my car is at 48K miles meaning i have no warranty. but thats fucked up if they cant fix a problem since i didnt do anything to it you know.

any input is greatly appreciate. thanks guys

ryan
Old 04-30-2007, 03:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobalt30
bringing up the dead is better then starting a thread .. haha that rhymed but anywho....

Iv got some seriousl condensation in my stock headlight (passanger side). ironicly the driver side i hit a guard rail b4 and cracked the back housing so its not even sealed right and that one is perfect haha.

so my question is will my dealership replace the headlight? but problem is my car is at 48K miles meaning i have no warranty. but thats fucked up if they cant fix a problem since i didnt do anything to it you know.

any input is greatly appreciate. thanks guys

ryan

If youve got no warranty the dealer has no responsibility to replace ANY failed part. So I'll go out on a limb and say that you're gonna pay for this outta pocket or deal with the condensation, sorry.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:08 PM

I'm having that problem with one of my headlights now, but thats because I took my headlights apart and painted them and I obviously didn't seal it up right. To get the condensation out of my headlight I can leave the headlights on for a while or park the headlight towards the sun. The condensation is almost out of it today, so I'm going to try and reseal it again tonight.