How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

2.2 L61 Engine: How To: Install CPP Front Poly Automatic Trans Mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 06:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Arrow How To: Install CPP Front Poly Automatic Trans Mount

this was my second mod I've done in my life (after the exhaust) and it took me around 1:15hrs, so it should be much faster for more car savvy people

Estimated Time: 45-90 Minutes

Tools Required:
-Ratchet with 18mm Socket
-Jack and Jack stands
-Hammer
-Flat Screwdrivers

1) raise the car onto jack stands...make sure you don't raise it too high, as you will need to jack the motor up later

2) raise the transmission/motor with your jack (i found using the jack that comes with the spare tire works perfectly for lifting this, as it fits those little wedges perfectly)

3) remove the 4 bolts that hold the factory mount in place
i found it easier to remove the top bolt through the engine bay, as it is about midway up the car
you have to hold a hose out of the way to see the bolt

the other three are close to the bottom of the car

4) once the bolts have been removed, you must wiggle the mount free from its location

5) pry the rubber out of the mount. I just hammered in some screw drivers (flatheads of course) and tried to pry it out...the rubber didnt budge, but got very malleable after a few minutes of doing this. Then you can pry out the mount.

6) putting the polyurethane mount in is a pain. First, i laid the poly part on top of the mount, and pressed in....once i had as much of the piece in as i could, i began pushing at the side that stuck out with the screwdrivers, pushing that side in MM by MM, until the entire lip was in. Once the whole lip is in, you can just use a hammer to whack the rest in. I also found it easier to remove the metal piece that the bolt goes through from the poly part so it could collapse in on itself, and then put the metal part back in once the poly part was in the mount.

7) you may have to raise or lower the transmission/motor VERY SLIGHTLY to get all the holes to line up again, so try and put all the bolts in before tightening them. Make sure they all are in, and are tightened by hand, and then ratchet them into place to finish them off.

8) enjoy the new feel of your car! it seems each person or maybe even each car reacts differently to the mounts. I ONLY have vibrations below 1000RPMs, so basically at a stop, or idling at speeds below 15mph, and i rather like it, as im sure my girlfriend will too

note: this is my first how-to, and i took most of the pictures after the installation once i noticed hackabuse only had a rear trans mount install how-to. You can use his as a reference for fitting the poly part into the mount, but keep in mind you dont HAVE to shave the lip of the mount off.

anyway, tell me how i did, and if i did a good job, give me some +rep lol

Last edited by TommyP; 05-23-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:14 PM

bump...no one likes it?
Old 07-21-2007, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice how to! But mines not auto.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, nice how to. I did this one last weekend and this front mount took me about 25 minutes.

Your bolts were all 18mm? I had mine were 19's. It wasn't til i got the rear mount and it had 15's on the bottom and 18 on top.

Just a tip for anyone who has a good solid table mounted vice. If you put the edge of the vice on the middle of the stock bushing, just take the screwdriver and wedge it on the free side (not being held by the vice) and give it a good push. since the bushing is held in place the mount moves and it wraps itself onto the vice. It took me 30 seconds to pop the stock one out when I did this.

Again, nice how to. I am waiting for mine to break in a lil so the vibes cut back a lil. sometimes they are crazy, sometimes they are mellow.

+rep for you
Old 07-21-2007, 11:33 PM

well, if you did the rear mount, i have a question for you....how did you get that 18mm bolt off? i cant fit a wrench or socket wrench or ratchet up there cause theres too much stuff in the way...the best i can come up with is removing the downpipe to make room, but i know its possible to do without removing anything...so howd you do it?
Old 07-22-2007, 01:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha.... OMG that bolt is a bitch. Hack used a pneumatic wrench. I got under the car, put a forearm on each side of the downpipe, wrench handled faced straight up and pulled with all my might.

Once you break the torque, I suggest a small wrench to remove it. I had a 5" crescent I used. gave me more room to make a third of a turn. It was such a pain in the ass. If you ever thought of getting a pneumatic wrench I would suggest it. I know there are some stores that even had electrical ones that plug into your car lighter, but i don't know their strength.

good luck bro
Old 07-23-2007, 01:23 PM

awesome man about time someone did an auto +rep. how does it feel when driving?
Old 07-23-2007, 01:39 PM

How bad are the vibes? Any performance gain? Tried launching yet?
Old 07-23-2007, 05:24 PM

the vibes are minor, and most of my passengers barely notice theres a difference, especially since it only vibrates at idle
ive only launched once since install..and it was a damn good launch. pulled a full car length on my friends magnum SXT before we hit 10mph...i normally pull a little bit and then he overtakes me, but i pulled and stayed ahead until around 45-50mph