War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

SS vs. Evo

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS vs. Evo

so i had a short race against an evo recently. i turned a corner and as soon as did, he came up next to me and wanted to go, so of course i did. we went from 40mph and and ended around 80mph because of a light. im not sure how it would have gone, had we gone longer, but i was inching on him the whole time. maybe he sucked at driving or something, but i thought these things were supposed to hand it to a SS/SC. he said it was stock...
Old 10-31-2005, 02:59 PM

No, what happened to you is exactly what's supposed to happen with a stock Evo.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:02 PM

sweet! how come i keep hearing that these things are way faster? am i hearing the words of morons?
Old 10-31-2005, 03:07 PM

Basically The Evo is faster through the twisties, and of course it's gonna get a jump on us from a dig because of awd, but the SS/SC has a better power to weight ratio.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:17 PM
Banned

The SS/SC should easily keep up with a EVO in the corners.

EVO's and STi's are only quick because of AWD.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by codyss
The SS/SC should easily keep up with a EVO in the corners.

EVO's and STi's are only quick because of AWD.

Huh? A FWD cobalt will not keep up with AWD on a real road course. There was a pair of cobalt SS the last time I was at Buttonwillow and one of them chose to poke at one of my friends. On the straights the SS was holding it's own against a bone stock STi, but the instant it came time for turn-in the weakness came through. It lost 2 car lengths by apex, then another 2 on exit. I watched him the whole way through(I was stuck behind him, and you're not allowed to pass in a turn or I would have blown his doors off) and his driving was good, the car was just slopping everywhere, then the straight came so I blew past him so I could school my friend a little lol. Slow traffic gets old real quick :p. I played with cobalt SS back when my wagon was only at about 215whp and only anti sways for suspension, and it was the same outcome. We'd hit a straight and he'd start pulling away from me very slowly, but the instant a turn came up I was on his ass again.

With an STi and someone who know what they are doing, a Cobalt SS has NO chance, crank the DCCD for a little rear bias, and you're pretty much RWD with a little FWD to give you a little extra grunt out of the turn and to help keep you straight.

Comparing modified won't get much better, turbo back and reflash and the STi is easily at 300whp on a mustang dyno, aftermarket turbo and 400+whp is easily attainable on pump gas, slap a rear sway bar on to get it neutral, and you're set. EVOs are the same(low 11s for $3k of investment). You want to talk braking? The EVO and STi OWN the cobalt for braking, don't come out with mag number, try repeated braking from 60-0 and see how many times you can do it. I have similar brakes to an STi, except wilwood calipers instead of brembo 6 pots(same diameter rotor, and close to the same biting surface) and I can do 60-0 time and time again with ZERO fade

Face it, you have a great car for what it is, but don't start fooling yourself with statements such as "EVO's and STi's are only quick because of AWD." would you care to get to the nitty gritty about the differences? There is a reason they are $10K more, and there is a reason people buy them. If It were true that "EVO's and STi's are only quick because of AWD" everyone would own a cobalt then wouldn't they?
Old 10-31-2005, 05:59 PM
Banned

I also drive a 2002 Camaro SS, Yes EVO's and STi's are only " quick " because of AWD.

Why bother with all of you technical crap? When the modding begins all of the rules change.

On a road course AWD will have the advantage but thats pretty much a big fat " Duh " plus I am sure anyone in a SS/SC on a road course is still learning how to auto-X. As for handling in the real world a Cobalt SS is equal to a EVO or STi.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:08 PM

I wish the Cobalt SS had brakes anything compared to an STI. GM could have definately done better here.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:25 PM

My friend has an evo 300whp. and from a stop hell take me like only by like 4 to 5 cars to like 100. Then at like 120 I catch up like a lil bit only. I mean i know 5 cars is a loot. However im just glad i can keep up with a 30+k car and with 2000 dlls worth of mods. When he was stock a roll race was very very even.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:52 PM

I think as we learn to drive our SS' we will be able to keep up. Same goes for any car. We can hang but we cant pass Stock for Stock. Just wait until our Staged kits are out and CAI and Exhaust. We will be close to 300hp. on a level playing field.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:59 PM

I also drive a 2002 Camaro SS, Yes EVO's and STi's are only " quick " because of AWD.

Why bother with all of you technical crap? When the modding begins all of the rules change.

On a road course AWD will have the advantage but thats pretty much a big fat " Duh " plus I am sure anyone in a SS/SC on a road course is still learning how to auto-X. As for handling in the real world a Cobalt SS is equal to a EVO or STi.

What do you mean by real world? You mean driving like an idiot on public streets? Or mabye commuting a nasty mountain road like the one I do almost every day?

You mean a quick lane change? .86-.88G on the skidpad versus the .90-.93G of the STi and .91-.94G(depending on source) of the EVO? I've driven all three and can tell you the Cobalt has FAR more body roll than the STi and the STi has a little more than the EVO.

I'm not bagging on the cobalt, but there is a reason the STi and EVO are over $30K, the same reason the Camaro SS was over $30K. I'm by no means an import fanboy, I've owned something from pretty much every major badge around(from my first 69 327 Camaro, to a 911s, a 280zx with an LT1 and turbo 400 swap, to a 9 second blown 53 bel air), I just happen to be collecting imports for now, aside from my truck(no import truck can match a good ol american diesel).

Handling wise the Cobalt is on par with regular WRX, the same reason the SCCA puts them in the same class, even with more power the SS isn't a handling monster so they give it a D stock index where the STi and EVO are both A stock indexed. The SS is not even in the same league as the STi or EVO. Have you driven them both to be subjective? Or is this typical mindless imports suck mine is better rant? Handling feel is not the same as capabilities.

Also on the side note: Buttonwillow is a racetrack, not a little Auto-X circuit.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:03 PM

LoL I know, I have driven my buddies STI going 80 in the twisties in California Grapevine. I felt just as safe as going straight on a normal road. EVO's and STI pwn the twisties!
Old 10-31-2005, 08:05 PM

Hey illison check out my buddies new interior! it is sick!
http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fus...C5C42907461828
Old 10-31-2005, 08:24 PM
Banned

The lateral skid pad and body roll have little to do with each other. The STi and EVO do better in the skid pad due to AWD holding the car. The skid pad measures limits of adhesion, it has little to do with actual handling ability. A powerful RWD or light FWD will never equal a AWD.

I live in Nebraska 85% of the roads around me are a drivers dream. Very little traffic, scenery and plenty of room to stretch out the SS's legs.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
orlando has enough roads where you can hit 120 , but only after about 1 am.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by SwizzDSMSS
Hey illison check out my buddies new interior! it is sick!
http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fus...C5C42907461828

That is really nice, what exterior color?
Old 10-31-2005, 11:30 PM

illusion, just to save you some trouble since you seem new (looks like you've been here a while though)... arguing with codyss or even trying to reason with him is pointless. He is the biggest fanboy on css.net.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:00 AM

^^^^^^^ BREATHE
Old 11-01-2005, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by xonic
illusion, just to save you some trouble since you seem new (looks like you've been here a while though)... arguing with codyss or even trying to reason with him is pointless. He is the biggest fanboy on css.net.

You speak the truth
Old 11-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Banned

" Fanboy " Sure that makes you guys what professional asses?

I just get tired of the SRT-4, STi and EVO hype around here. If I drive my Camaro SS they act as if there cars are superior, if I drive my Cobalt SS they act as if there cars are superior. I know they aren't so I say so.

Just look how much technical crap they need to explain per post.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:36 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by illusion
Huh? A FWD cobalt will not keep up with AWD on a real road course.
First of all an STI and Evo are like um 30+. Why don't you just the WRX for your comparison and in that case the cobalt handed the WRX's ass to it during the Car and Driver tests. It was like 2 seconds behind on a 46 second course....

And how come the Cobalt took 3 first places in the Grand Am Cup this season if it sucks so bad.

Oh and how about the Speed TV tuner challenege where the cobalt handed the GTR it's ass.

You put pro's behind the wheel and the cobalt comes out on top.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by illusion
Comparing modified won't get much better, turbo back and reflash and the STi is easily at 300whp on a mustang dyno, aftermarket turbo and 400+whp is easily attainable on pump gas, slap a rear sway bar on to get it neutral, and you're set. EVOs are the same(low 11s for $3k of investment). You want to talk braking? The EVO and STi OWN the cobalt for braking, don't come out with mag number, try repeated braking from 60-0 and see how many times you can do it. I have similar brakes to an STi, except wilwood calipers instead of brembo 6 pots(same diameter rotor, and close to the same biting surface) and I can do 60-0 time and time again with ZERO fade
Ok lets compare mods? Lets put a turbo on the cobalt and oops nows it's like 600 HP (phase 5 cobalt) and thats the streetable cobalt, they go all the way up to 1400 HP and jeepers they are the quickest 4 cyl pro fwd ever.

As for braking again the cobalt does just fine in the mag tests and the brakes seem to work fine on the Grand Am Cup car...
Old 11-01-2005, 02:47 PM

" Fanboy " Sure that makes you guys what professional asses?

I just get tired of the SRT-4, STi and EVO hype around here. If I drive my Camaro SS they act as if there cars are superior, if I drive my Cobalt SS they act as if there cars are superior. I know they aren't so I say so.

Just look how much technical crap they need to explain per post.
Being technical is bad compared to " I know they aren't so I say so.". Yeah. ok. After poking around a bit more I'm leaning towards the other folks outlook on you as well. Your opinion isn't a fact, when I give facts you get your feelings hurt, a sure sign of fanboyitis. Your definition of better isn't necessarily that of other people. So is you Cobalt better than my G35? how about the camaro? In what aspects? Build quality? Luxury? Ammenities? Oh I know, because it's "teH FASTAR!!", yeah so is my R6, and cost 1/4 of the money, so which is better again? I bought my WRX for an all season mini-wagon. I take it skiing, to the beach, I throw wood in the back, it's my utility vehicle on steroids since my truck is a bit much for daily driving(it's a bitch finding parking spaces it can fit in). I bought the G35 so I could quietly and comfotably commute to work and have adequate passing power when I needed it since my wrx is getting less an less street friendly, but your cars are better right? Nowhere did I come in here an stomp around claiming "my cars are better" I was simply trying help with some real information for the tirades you seem to enjoy spewing.

Every car has it's ups and down, every car has a following, or they wouldn't sell.

Does your cobalt or camaro do this? This was when it was about a month old, only mod was a loose nut behind the wheel.

how about this?(sorry, cardomain had a glitch and shrunk them, I'll upload them again when I get home), no chains, never got stuck, did 40mph with 6"s of standing snow the whole way home.

Get over yourself. Everyone buys the car they want withing their means. Again, just because you have an opinion, it doesn't make you correct.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:05 PM

*edited* zinner is the omnipotent all knowing master with his flunky codyss by his side so there's no need to waste any further keystrokes. If you need to know anything I'm sure zinner will be happy to quote you a magazine article.

I'm gone, have fun.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:49 PM

Anyone here that thinks a Cobalt SS S/C can come close to even winning at a race against a WRX STi or the EVO is sniffin too much glue. A Camaro SS, well thats a different story. I think that would be a good race.

Quick Reply: SS vs. Evo