War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

SS vs. Evo

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heyzeus11
Since this is comparing fwd cars and awd cars dont ask quarter mile time; ask trap speeds. Stock 03-05 evos trap at around 99-104mph. What do stock SSs trap at?

stock most SS/SC's from what I have seen trap about 98mph and stay within 96-100mph depending on how much wheel spin/wheel hop they have.

taking that into consideration I guess I could see how an Evo vs an SS/SC would be a close race although I admit I would not expect it to be.

:edit:
actually looking at the start date of this thread why the hell am I posting here?
Old 03-27-2006, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
stock most SS/SC's from what I have seen trap about 98mph and stay within 96-100mph depending on how much wheel spin/wheel hop they have.

taking that into consideration I guess I could see how an Evo vs an SS/SC would be a close race although I admit I would not expect it to be.

:edit:
actually looking at the start date of this thread why the hell am I posting here?

It wouldn't , the EVO would beat it by a second on the 1/4 mile.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by tomt5078
It wouldn't , the EVO would beat it by a second on the 1/4 mile.
yes the evo would beat it by alteast a second in the quartermile cause of the launch; but the trap speed helps give an indication of how fast the car is.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:19 PM
WJW
Banned

yes the evo would beat it by alteast a second in the quartermile cause of the launch; but the trap speed helps give an indication of how fast the car is.
Exactly. Which is the precise reason why the SS S/C can hang with an Evo from a roll but not from a dig
Old 03-27-2006, 10:29 PM

LOL. My friend got his 3rd evo like last week. It's an evo 9 mr in grey. It's nice. But yeah he only has 380 miles on the car. I told him to go easy on it and after it's fully broken in (1000 miles or more) we will race from a roll. By that time I should have my 3 inch pulley and scdyne header to acompany my intake and exhaust. I will try to get it on video tape on how bad or how much he hangs with me. This won't be for like another 2-3 weeks though.

I just spoke to him and he's taking his mods off his old evo to put on his new one soon. I told him to wait a couple more weeks.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by turboDUB
I have driven both an evo 8 and a sc/ss and the evo pulls 10x harder than the cavalier i mean cobalt.. the only way u will pull on him is if he hit limp mode... and if he was in limp mode and u inched on him that suclks......lol

Cobalt gets
troll
Old 03-28-2006, 03:19 PM
WJW
Banned

I have driven both an evo 8 and a sc/ss and the evo pulls 10x harder than the cavalier i mean cobalt.. the only way u will pull on him is if he hit limp mode... and if he was in limp mode and u inched on him that suclks......lol

Cobalt gets
Trolls aren't welcome here
Old 03-28-2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by illusion
Huh? A FWD cobalt will not keep up with AWD on a real road course. There was a pair of cobalt SS the last time I was at Buttonwillow and one of them chose to poke at one of my friends. On the straights the SS was holding it's own against a bone stock STi, but the instant it came time for turn-in the weakness came through. It lost 2 car lengths by apex, then another 2 on exit. I watched him the whole way through(I was stuck behind him, and you're not allowed to pass in a turn or I would have blown his doors off) and his driving was good, the car was just slopping everywhere, then the straight came so I blew past him so I could school my friend a little lol. Slow traffic gets old real quick :p. I played with cobalt SS back when my wagon was only at about 215whp and only anti sways for suspension, and it was the same outcome. We'd hit a straight and he'd start pulling away from me very slowly, but the instant a turn came up I was on his ass again.

With an STi and someone who know what they are doing, a Cobalt SS has NO chance, crank the DCCD for a little rear bias, and you're pretty much RWD with a little FWD to give you a little extra grunt out of the turn and to help keep you straight.

Comparing modified won't get much better, turbo back and reflash and the STi is easily at 300whp on a mustang dyno, aftermarket turbo and 400+whp is easily attainable on pump gas, slap a rear sway bar on to get it neutral, and you're set. EVOs are the same(low 11s for $3k of investment). You want to talk braking? The EVO and STi OWN the cobalt for braking, don't come out with mag number, try repeated braking from 60-0 and see how many times you can do it. I have similar brakes to an STi, except wilwood calipers instead of brembo 6 pots(same diameter rotor, and close to the same biting surface) and I can do 60-0 time and time again with ZERO fade

Face it, you have a great car for what it is, but don't start fooling yourself with statements such as "EVO's and STi's are only quick because of AWD." would you care to get to the nitty gritty about the differences? There is a reason they are $10K more, and there is a reason people buy them. If It were true that "EVO's and STi's are only quick because of AWD" everyone would own a cobalt then wouldn't they?
Well you should see street tunner challenge on speed tv. A 263 hp Cobalt ss beat an 800 hp awd r32 on the track by 3 seconds. Look it up
Old 03-29-2006, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by illusion
Huh? A FWD cobalt will not keep up with AWD on a real road course. There was a pair of cobalt SS the last time I was at Buttonwillow...
Thats funny that you say that. At BUTTONWILLOW, for the 2005 Toyo Tires Time Attack, A FWD Cobalt SS/SC got the fastest overall time over a plethora of AWD and RWD sports cars with better power:weight ratios. Here's the results...
Old 04-03-2006, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by WJW
Exactly. Which is the precise reason why the SS S/C can hang with an Evo from a roll but not from a dig
Maybe; it will also depend on what speed they go from. Well if you know any SS S/C cobalts in the Hampton Roads area that are up for a run I know a some stock/close to stock(just a flash) evos and we can find out for sure. Should be a good race.

Originally Posted by sdiddy
Thats funny that you say that. At BUTTONWILLOW, for the 2005 Toyo Tires Time Attack, A FWD Cobalt SS/SC got the fastest overall time over a plethora of AWD and RWD sports cars with better power:weight ratios. Here's the results...
A good car needs good a driver to perform.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:55 AM

Maybe; it will also depend on what speed they go from. Well if you know any SS S/C cobalts in the Hampton Roads area that are up for a run I know a some stock/close to stock(just a flash) evos and we can find out for sure. Should be a good race.

A good car needs good a driver to perform.
let me know when and where...
Old 04-04-2006, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by evolve
let me know when and where...
hey, now that its getting warm again have yal been meeting up lately?
Old 04-05-2006, 05:30 PM

hey, now that its getting warm again have yal been meeting up lately?
we are going to unos on military hwy at 7pm, anyone interested?
Old 04-06-2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by evolve
we are going to unos on military hwy at 7pm, anyone interested?
ya we were there, and you didnt show up I even called ya. What yal doing on this of the water this weekend? Heard you have alky now!?!?
Old 04-06-2006, 08:58 PM

Cobalt gets

HAHAHA you called it a cavalier havent heard that one before..go watch broke back mountain you ***
Old 04-06-2006, 10:37 PM

I Think If The Cobalt Ss/sc Was A Turbo It Would Easy Beat The Evo. But The Sti Is Harder To Beat Since The Evo Is 280hp And The Sti Is 300hp

If Wanted To Buy One I Would Buy The Sti!
Old 04-06-2006, 10:41 PM

Cool

But Why Dont You Race Your Little Mirage I Mean "evo" Against And Sti The Talk

COBALT SS/SC
Old 04-07-2006, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by 97CIVIC
I Think If The Cobalt Ss/sc Was A Turbo It Would Easy Beat The Evo. But The Sti Is Harder To Beat Since The Evo Is 280hp And The Sti Is 300hp

If Wanted To Buy One I Would Buy The Sti!
the evo and sti dyno around the same numbers stock; and turbos have lag but s/c dont.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:39 PM

the evo and sti dyno around the same numbers stock; and turbos have lag but s/c dont.
they put out similar #s when stock. as a matter of fact, it is a drivers race, when racing a stock sti and a stock evo.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:43 PM

COBALT SS/SC
i raced a stage 2+ sti sat night, and beat the paint off his car, he told me he spent 13k on it! i spent 2.5k on mine...
Old 04-10-2006, 09:06 AM

COBALT SS/SC
I think you messed that joke up, wouldnt it be "Lancer" not "Mirage"; either way I dont know why your talking trash to us when nor me or evolve talked trash on your car. Doesnt matter I have yet to see a cobalt ss beat an evo; like I said find a cobalt ss in hampton roads and we can set something up between a stock evo (from a roll).
Old 04-18-2006, 01:03 AM

Raced an Evo from 2nd@ about 40mph to 90 he was on my door the whole time not gaining. Then we went from a dig and he blew me off. I was happy that I held him off from 40-90. The ss/sc is definately impressive from 2nd gear rolls, runs with the best of them in this segment.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:06 AM

mpower240 i raced an evo the other night same gear as you speed n everything but, way different outcome he pulled me by aleast 2-3 cars. he was stock n so am i
Old 04-20-2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by BACK2GM
mpower240 i raced an evo the other night same gear as you speed n everything but, way different outcome he pulled me by aleast 2-3 cars. he was stock n so am i
If you raced a stock 06, and he raced a stock 03-04 that would prob. explain the difference in the out-come; unless one cobalt can have that much more power from the factory then another one.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Banned

an evo or sti with a driver that knows how to drive would walk all over my ****, bottom line.

Besides, what EVO is stock? a MBC is like 10bux lol check mods in my sig, yeah the SS cant compare I have seen it first hand. We will keep up.personally i dont think our cars are in the same class...codyss, I think your mind would change after my buddy would take you for a 5k drop in his sti

Quick Reply: SS vs. Evo