Tire Information
Vehicle: 2006 Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Tire Brand/Type: BFG KDW
Size: 235/40/ZR18
Cost: $1100 CAD for 4
Purchased from: Tire Trends
Current Tire Millage: 1,000kms

Ratings: scale of 1 to 10
(1 being very poor, 10 being very excellent)
Dry Traction: 10
Wet Traction: 10
Snow Traction: 1
Cornering/Steering Response: 7
Ride Comfort: 8
Road Noise: 5
Wear Rating: 5

Would you Recommend: Definitely

Additional Comments/Review: Wheel hop is gone, and I have no other anti-wheel hop modifications. Might not get away with 235s if you are lowered.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Tire Information
Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC 5M
Tire Brand/Type: BFG KDW II's NT
Size: 225/40/18
Cost: $155 a tire
Purchased from: The Tire Rack
Current Tire Millage: 5k+12k miles

Dry Traction: 9/10 Now that these are on a car with a bit of power...these tires DO not like to be cold. I mean they are a summer tire and all, but if it is not sunny out and it is 50 degrees out, forgettabout it. Once they are warm they hold deliciously...turn in can get a bit vague at first, but it always responds to my inputs. Braking with them can get a bit ridiculous in a good way. These aren't the best drag racing tire thanks to their stiff sidewalls, but they love to get lateral

Wet Traction: 10/10 Still the best tire I have driven in the rain. I can't floor it or anything, but the limits of these tires wet is pretty freakin high.

Snow Traction: 1/10 Yes I did attempt to move it from the side yard with about a foot of snow...don't try going anywhere where you cannot see road.

Cornering/Steering Response: 9/10 They respond amazingly, and corner just as well...but the stock Contis talked to me a bit more. Somtimes when you turn in hard you can't feel the tire for a split second...I know I am nitpicking here but I like to be as thorough in a tire review as I can. What is really weird about it, is I will lose the feel on turn in, but every difference in pavement I can feel spot on...so maybe it is the actual steering/bumpsteer or an underlying issue and not the tires.

Ride Comfort: 7/10 Stiff sidewall, but not so ******* aggressive it makes you want to ice pick your ice out. Don't go finding super rough roads and expect to enjoy a Caddilac ride though

Road Noise: 5/10 Yeah I will admit I musta been a panz, because these tires aren't really that loud to me.

Wear Rating: 9/10 This is where I am really impressed. I mean I don't mind but I wanna write a long winded report on a new set of Direzzas or something before I am 90 . Super long life. Burnouts, relentless hard stops...very aggressive drives on my favorite backroads. Still have stupid amount of life.

Would you Recommend: 10/10 Oh **** yes...currently with these rims though a 225 runs a bit small...so TC owners I would recommend a minimum of 235s. My next tire will be a 245, and more than likely I will moving on to a more aggressive tire. I am not saying these tires are not aggressive, but I know what is out there, and I want a softer compound tire with a little more tenacity. Don't let me saying this sway you away from this...I am ridiculous and have goals/ideas that most normal people don't.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Tire Information
Vehicle:Chevy Cobalt
Tire Brand/Type: Hankook Ventus v12 evo (UHP)
Size: 245/45-17
Cost: 89.99(msrp 186.99 I used my student discount) each
Purchased from: Pep Boys
Current Tire Millage: 19,000

Wet Traction: 7
Snow Traction: 6
Cornering/Steering Response: 10
Ride Comfort: 10
Road Noise: 9
Wear Rating: 9

Would you Recommend: Definately Yes!

Additional Comments/Review:
I have taken these through mountains of NC in winter and although never wiped out I could feel very prominent understeer when on hard packed snow(i.e. parkinglots). In the wet they still handle like a wet dream but acceleration suffers horribly and occasionally on reverse banked curves would understeer a little. There is very little road noise in the cabin but when a friend drove the balt past me once you could hear a slight "whir" noise like offroad vehicles. Wear honestly has been pretty nice, had several track days with these tires and they still have about 5/32 of tread on them. They also came with wear indicators @ 3/32.

Apparently I am not the only one who likes them. Clicky
Old 06-25-2009, 10:09 PM

Tire Information
Vehicle: Chevrolet Cobalt SS Turbo
Tire Brand/Type: Cooper Zeon Sport A/S
Cost: 200 Each after mount and balance, probably like 150 each...dunno. Canadian Monies
Purchased from: Bestway Tire
Current Tire Mileage: 8200km's

Dry Traction: 8
Wet Traction: 8
Snow Traction: 4
Cornering/Steering Response: 9
Road Noise: 7

Would you Recommend: Yes

These tires seem pretty good. I didn't run the car on Conti's as I swapped these ones when I bought it (needed something for winter). From what I notice now, the traction isn't too bad, although I don't have a baseline, but they seem good at handling the torque even off the line. As far as cornering, I have a really hard time hitting the limits in this car around corners, and these tires bite hard, so they seem to be doing a good job. As far as winter, these tires will get you by, but they're definitely not worth bragging about. I had a few hairy moments on ice, and the snow traction is barely adequate. The road noise seems acceptable for a 40 series tire, and the car rides pretty stiff just on it's own, so I'm sure the tires are reasonable at absorbing just a little more than nothing. Really these are a decent tire, and I was quoted higher prices for almost anything, so these seemed like a pretty good deal. I'm pretty happy with them, and they're wearing well, I might even make it to 30,000 with them!
Old 06-25-2009, 10:17 PM

Tire Information
Vehicle:Chevy Cobalt SS/SC 06 G85
Tire Brand/Type: Yokohama S-Drive
Size: 245/40-R18
Cost: 153.00 each tirerack
Current Tire Millage: 4000 Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 97Y Load Index 97 = 1609lbs (730kg) per tire
Speed Rating “Y” = 186mph (300kph)
Load Range XL
UTQG: Treadwear: 300
Traction: AA
Temperature: A300 AA A
Optional Road Hazard Program: additional $18.36 per tire

Wet Traction: 9
Snow Traction: 2
Ride Comfort: 10

Would you Recommend: Definately Yes!

Additional Comments/Review: You can actually luanch the car!!!!!! in first gear!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:00 AM

Vehicle: 08 Cobalt SS/TC
Tire Brand/Type: Maxxis MA-Z1 Victra Z1
Size: 225-45-18
Cost: $116/per tire
Purchased from: http://www.gripston.com/products/maxxis-ma-z1-victra-z1
Current Tire Millage: 2000
Load/speed Rating: 162MPH/95W
UTQG: 280 AA A
Weight: 25.7 lbs

Snow Traction: -
Ride Comfort: 9
Wear Rating: Dont know, only 2k miles on them...

Would you Recommend: Very much, if you have a good 300+WHP car and need some traction, YES. If you have less than 300WHP, Get something cheaper.

Additional Comments/Review: This tires are the ****, they grip really good and in the corners they are like a gum to the pavement. really recoment it if you are autocrossing or have too much WHP....

Last edited by cardelino18; 07-08-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:18 PM

Tire Information
Vehicle: 2008 G5
Tire Brand/Type: Cooper Zeon Sport A/S
Size: 205-50-17
Cost: 115/tire
Purchased from: Mikes Tire & Auto
Current Tire Millage: 19000

Dry Traction: 9
Snow Traction: 8

Would you Recommend: Definitely

Additional Comments/Review:These are a all-around tires. Good in snow and rain(no hydoplaining) I have 19000 miles on them and not even at half tread yet. Cloverleaf offramps at 65 and not a hint of tire squeal.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:25 AM

I want KDW's SO bad, 19's are so expensive tho!
Old 07-20-2009, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nobody is running nitto invos?
Old 08-05-2009, 02:09 AM

Bump for Winter Tire reviews
Old 08-14-2009, 07:59 AM

stock Pirelli's suck, gay, blow, JK.
iVE HEARD LOTTA BADSHIT bout 215/45 rossos, including myself, but to be fair, i was just getting 2 kno the car, as i did i became more daring, I found the tire's handling/cornering/stopping/ILLEGAL SPEEDS to be SUPERB. Great track tire as u can expect from a Pirelli. To illustrate the tires benefit; im jammin thru a nice curvy road @ bout 100max. The final curve before the intersection ends in a sharp/short drop. My car was stock ride height, the weight transfer from 70mph+ going down and to the left to a complete stop is IMMENSE. The only reason the car stayed in control was these tires. I felt the rear right tire break loose slightly. I attribute the rubber being the only thing that countered the natural pendulum effect of this car. RAIN performance is great as well, and I did go thru a couple of snow storms in them and they stayed true. Last december I was plowing thru the mounds of snow in the middle of street on purpose. Tires along w LSD and a FWD platform kept it under control.
I just went about it the wrong way, I was running 35psi which made a negative bell-curve on the contact patch. My tires were spinning out and chattering like crazy when i layed the hammer down and I couldnt figure out WHY?? Later my center tread wore out, from over-inflation, of course. 49000mi later they still have the outer tread, which im salvaging with 29-28psi to make use of that outer tread, the middle is balder than Kareem Obdul Jabbar, but they still hold the road. Just 2000mi ago i took these tires canyon road carving @ 28psi and I went hard on em. Makes me wonder just how long theyd last if i rotated them on-time and had correct inflation. Pirelli shure knows how 2 build em, cus I kno how to test em! thats why ima repeat offender, I mean customer, WIDER THIS TIME THO!
Old 08-14-2009, 08:17 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Tire Information
Vehicle: 2007 Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged
Tire Brand/Type: Goodyear / Eagle GT
Size: 215 45 R18 93W
Cost: $650 (All 4 tires + mounting & balancing)
Purchased from: Jackwilliams Tire & Auto Service Center
Current Tire Millage: 2000 miles (on the tires)

Dry Traction: 9.5
Wet Traction: 10
Snow Traction: I will never know. My Balt doesn't see snow.
Cornering/Steering Response: 9.0
Ride Comfort: 9.5
Road Noise: 9.5
Wear Rating: 10

Would you Recommend: I would highly recommend these tires.

Additional Comments/Review: Best tires I've had on the balt. They don't even break traction when i wind the car out on a 1-2 shift. All i hear is a small chirp. Past tires on this car would be spinning like mad on a 1-2 shift.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Tire Information
Tire Brand/Type: Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec
Size: 245/40/18
Cost: $167 a tire
Current Tire Millage: 1k miles

Dry Traction: 10/10 Absolute best I have ever driven in the dry. They heat right up and stay there. Pushing this tire is so damn easy and tires have GREAT turn in and response. Tire doesn't talk as much vocally as say the KDWs or the stock Contis, but they talk. Even once you get to the limit and pass it, it is very easy to control

Wet Traction: 10/10 Just as good as the KDW, they day I mounted the wheels and tires, I went for a 300 mile ride in the rain. Epic. Great. Still hold heat even when wet.

Snow Traction: N/A I would NOT recommend this at all.

Cornering/Steering Response: 9.8/10 Can you tell I like this tire? Turns right in, the problem I had was running the GIANT 245 size, so immediate turn in was a smidge vague, like off center turn in was numb, then BAM all kinds of communication. Tire never got upset with midcorner bumps and debris in the road. Just grip, and letting you know how much you have left.

Ride Comfort: 8/10 Big tire is big. Likes to follow the rough stuff but the tire is surprisingly smooth. Side wall is still, but like I said, ride is smooth. Did someone divide by zero?

Road Noise: 10/10 Whisper quiet. Seriously for SUCH a large tire...tire is ******* Q-U-I-E-T. Such a nice new thing to hear the rest of the car...

Wear Rating: 9/10 I should the O.Z.'s and tires to Maven, who :ahem: can pull some shens out of his ass. He currently has them for sale...and these tires look brand ******* new still. Neither one of us are Sunday drivers.

Would you Recommend: 9.9/10 OH YES. I may even get them again when it comes time to get rid of ye olde KDWs. Only reason I got rid of them was because I needed the money. The ONLY drawback of these tires is if you're hardcore and looking for every pound of weight savings, steer clear of these porkers. Most of you will not care at all. AT ALL. The pros FAR out weigh the cons of these porky tires. Go get them. Achieve some good happy handling. In anything other than cold weather. So in short, if you have a low torque car(like a high revving honda or toyota) stay away. All other need apply. ASAP.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:50 PM

Tire Information
Vehicle: 2007 chevy cobalt ss s/c
Tire Brand/Type: Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season
Size: stock rim
Cost: $475 including shipping (all four)
Purchased from: tirerack. com
Current Tire Millage: 49k

Dry Traction: 9.1
Wet Traction: 8.5
Snow Traction: -- haven't had them in snow yet.
Cornering/Steering Response: 9
Road Noise: 7.5
Wear Rating: dont remember.

Would you Recommend: yes

Additional Comments/Review: I like them so far had them since July.. little slippy today but it was raining all day.. so far i like these better than stock tires. it seems like they have good tread wear too. i put these on the car at 32k, and they still look brand new.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by steddy2112
Tire Information
Tire Brand/Type: Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec
Size: 245/40/18
Cost: $167 a tire
Current Tire Millage: 1k miles
X2! AWESOME tire.......
Old 01-05-2010, 09:05 PM

Tire Information
Vehicle: 04 Ion Redline
Tire Brand/Type: Dunlop Wintersport 3D
Size: 205/55/16
Cost: ~$600 with steelies
Purchased from: Tire Rack
Current Tire Millage: ~20k? a winter season and a half. a "season" is middle of october to middle of march for me.

Dry Traction: 8
Wet Traction: 8
Snow Traction: 9
Cornering/Steering Response: 8

Would you Recommend: Yes!

obviously not a performance tire, but grippy enough for cautiously agressive driving even in the cold. never gotten stuck in snow. easy to recover if you push it a little too hard in the snow. gets a bit soft in 40* weather after long highway runs, but that's expected.

basically, you get the snow grip you need to get you to and from work before they've plowed out your neighborhood, without entirely giving up the sporty nature of the car when it's dry.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:34 PM

Question. I see many of you have up sized your replacement tires. Has anybody had any problem with CEL's? I would expect CEL's with different sizes front and rear but with all the ECU inputs I'm wondering if larger tires all around ars causing any problems. I'm interested in 235's or 245's and matching the tire height as close to stock as possible with aspect ratio. If the answers to my questions are already in the thread somewhere I apologize and will read the whole thread but any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by buellfooll
Question. I see many of you have up sized your replacement tires. Has anybody had any problem with CEL's? I would expect CEL's with different sizes front and rear but with all the ECU inputs I'm wondering if larger tires all around ars causing any problems. I'm interested in 235's or 245's and matching the tire height as close to stock as possible with aspect ratio. If the answers to my questions are already in the thread somewhere I apologize and will read the whole thread but any help would be appreciated.
No CEL if you go 235 or 245 .. just watch out for 245 if your suspension is dropped .. the only drawback is the sppedo will be a bit slower than real ..
Old 01-29-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by jpower102
No CEL if you go 235 or 245 .. just watch out for 245 if your suspension is dropped .. the only drawback is the sppedo will be a bit slower than real ..
Thanks for the reply. Gotta order up my PFO1's with 245 Direzza's and hope they get here before April.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:25 AM

Bridgestone Blizzak WS60

Tire Information
Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Tire Brand/Type: Bridgestone Blizzak WS60
Cost: $152ea. from tiresavings.com
Purchased from: friend (mechanic @ firestone so i got a great discount)
Current Tire Millage: +7000mi

Dry Traction: 7
Wet Traction: 7
Snow Traction: 9
Cornering/Steering Response: 5
Road Noise: 8
Wear Rating: 10 (after 7000 miles they still look brand new!)

Would you Recommend: absofreakinglutely!

Additional Comments/Review: these tires are amazing when driving in the snow! i was able to pull my car out of a gravel driveway with a good 6 inches of snow on it no problem. also my brother who has a grand cherokee struggled to get home from work and i flew home no problem during the second blizzard we got hit with here in central NJ this winter (2010). The dry traction isnt really all that great, i found myself spinning the tires a little bit without even really getting on the gas at all. as well as cornering isnt that great. but they are definitely not very loud at all like some people claim. with 7000 miles on these tires and them still looking almost brand new i expect to get another 2 seasons out of these if not more. definitely buy!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:45 AM

Bump for proven drag strip tires. Wondering if anyone has used http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes or anything similar at the drag strip?
Old 03-19-2010, 08:40 AM

235's will fit on a car with minor lowering springs right?
Old 03-29-2010, 02:08 AM

Tire Information
Vehicle:2009 SS/TC
Tire Brand/Type: BFG KDW2
Size:235/40/R18
Cost: Not gonna say, friend price.
Purchased from: Despino's Tire Service
Current Tire Millage: 6,600

Dry Traction: 9
Wet Traction: 7, I'd go higher but I noticed when it does cut, it washes out completely.
Snow Traction: N/A
Cornering/Steering Response: 8.5...and that's saying something, it's hard to get a tire that'll last more than 12,000 miles and have brutal cornering grip.
Ride Comfort: 7, these tires are harsh when new, after the first rotation they are softened up that I no longer notice the difference between them and the stock Contis
Road Noise:5 These are loud, no getting around that.
Wear Rating:8 So far I've lost 2/32 from new at 6,600 miles I think that's damn good.

Would you Recommend: ABSOLUTELY even at MSRP they're a good value and they will leave the driver with confidence in taking the machine to it's limit. They will tell you when your nearing the end limit of what they can handle, they will scrub before they let go and if you let off the throttle they;ll take back control.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:38 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Cobalt SS/TC
Tire Brand/Type: General Exclaim UHP
Size:225/40ZR18
Cost: Came on Vehicle, $105-$130 per tire
Purchased from: ^
Current Tire Millage: 5,000mi plus whatever they had before i purchased the car

Dry Traction:9
Wet Traction:9
Snow Traction: (Summer tires)
Cornering/Steering Response:9
Ride Comfort:9
Road Noise:7
Wear Rating: 7

Additional Comments/Review: Reasonably priced for how good of tires they are. Made of pretty soft compound though. I made the mistake of not rotating them and roasted the front tires, but they held up surprisingly well. Rear tires still have their full tread on them (good job me). Wet traction is great, they cut through the water with ease. Dry traction is probably the best tire I've owned on any car to this day. I put them to the test and they definitely passed, holding traction up to >1 lat g at 50mph. From what I heard, they handle moderately well in the snow, but I won't be finding that out first hand. Another plus is the light weight of the tires themselves. Pretty nice tires.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:13 AM
Window Licker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nitto's anyone?

Quick Reply: Tire Review Thread