08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

08 Cobalt ss lnf crank no start ( SOMETIMES )

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 Cobalt ss lnf crank no start ( SOMETIMES )

Hi all thanks in advance for any any responses :

Got an 2008 cobalt turbo and sometimes it just cranks and wont start other times its just fine.
Turn the key on and off a few times and that will work most of the time and other times just let it sit for a few minutes and then try it normally starts.
Usually if it starts once it starts again with no issues if its warm ( I guess you can call it)
Sometimes it has a slight backfire after cranking and turning the key off and it will start.
I "primed" the car one time with gas and it started but im unsure if it was just a coincidence or not will have to try again

Fuel pressure seems good

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you
Old 09-07-2017, 08:12 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
What CELs do you have?
Old 09-07-2017, 08:59 AM

Only check engine light is catalyst system below efficiency which has been on forever because of catless downpipe I believe
Old 09-07-2017, 09:11 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Try unplugging the EVAP system and see if that has an effect. The EVAP system crapping out can sometimes cause a long crank issue.

You also need to actually get data on the fuel pressure from the hpfp and the lpfp
Old 09-08-2017, 02:52 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Do you have other symptoms when driving?

Try double priming the pump before you start it. Key to run position (hold a couple seconds), Key off, Key to run position (hold a couple seconds), then try to start.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
Try unplugging the EVAP system and see if that has an effect. The EVAP system crapping out can sometimes cause a long crank issue.

You also need to actually get data on the fuel pressure from the hpfp and the lpfp
Evap system seems fine will test further this weekend

How do you get data from the fuel pumps?

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
Do you have other symptoms when driving?

Try double priming the pump before you start it. Key to run position (hold a couple seconds), Key off, Key to run position (hold a couple seconds), then try to start.
Yes turning the key on off works sometimes, when it doesn't it will eventually give me a backfire so I am guessing no spark till then.

About a month ago I changed the intake actuator with a used one because I had I code for it ( p0343), could it be related ?
Old 09-10-2017, 02:11 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by ShaneSS
Evap system seems fine will test further this weekend

How do you get data from the fuel pumps?

Yes turning the key on off works sometimes, when it doesn't it will eventually give me a backfire so I am guessing no spark till then.

About a month ago I changed the intake actuator with a used one because I had I code for it ( p0343), could it be related ?
Actuators are cheap. Just go new.

Have you checked your evap purge solenoid?