08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

2008 Cobalt SS/TC Sport Red Tintcoat Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Cobalt SS/TC Sport Red Tintcoat Metallic

Wanted to start a thread describing my latest car, a 2008 Cobalt SS/TC Coupe. I will keep this thread updated with current pictures and a description of modifications. Coming from a long run of Fords, I found that I enjoy these smaller cars. 300+whp and you can't beat 30+mpg on the highway. Enjoy.

Year: 2008
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Cobalt SS
Body Style: 2dr Coupe
Color: Sport Red Tintcoat Metallic
Mileage: 24,500
Engine: 2.0L Turbocharged LNF
Transmission: 5-speed Manual LSD

Modifications:

K&N Typhoon Intake
Forge BPV
MPx Downpipe with High Flow Cat
Eibach Sportline Springs
R1 Concepts Drilled and Slotted Rotors
Cmax Ceramic Brake Pads
Black Ceramic Painted Calipers with Nickel Alloy Brembo Decals
Tinted Windows
Intercooler Grill Delete
Shortened Stock Antenna (20")
Smoked Black Head Lights
Smoked LED Tail Lights
Trifecta 23psi Tune

Pictures:

Last edited by apicia; 07-23-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:04 PM

love that color
Old 05-04-2011, 06:44 PM

Looks sick so far dude
Old 05-04-2011, 06:48 PM

The color is awesome, very nice man
Old 05-04-2011, 06:49 PM

car looks great! love that color (i had it for almost 4 yrs lol)
Old 05-04-2011, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lookin good!
Old 05-04-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by DerekDTP!
love that color
Yes, we do have a pretty good looking color
Old 05-04-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by sponge14
Yes, we do have a pretty good looking color
Any pics of your sedan? I wanted a sedan over the coupe, but they are rare to find in either version.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:45 PM

Just got a confirmation email from Trifecta for the order I made last night. I chose the confirmation phone call when ordering, as I have a few unanswered questions for them. I am used to getting my cars dyno tuned in person using SCT software (asking the tuner questions as we go), and it is a stretch of my trust to use the online ordering route.

My questions pertain to running the dual mode tune over a single tune. I would prefer the single tune. Also, rev limit questions. Using SCT, I got a handheld programmer and used it to data log and make adjustments the tuner allows me to. Maybe buy the GT Tuner?

Last edited by apicia; 05-09-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:50 PM

ill trade ya my white 09 ss/tc haha jk
Old 05-04-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by apicia
Just got a confirmation email from Trifecta for the order I made last night. I chose the confirmation phone call when ordering, as I have a few unanswered questions for them. I am used to getting my cars dyno tuned in person using SCT software (asking the tuner questions as we go) and it is a stretch of my trust to use the online ordering route.

Not feeling good about this so far. I left a message on their voice mail, but no call back yet.
I always found that Vince responded better to Emails... but that may just be me. He does the LNFs pretty well, I have had pretty good experiences with his tunes in general. Looks really clean dude, I dig that color too.

If you want to get more performance oriented you should check out HP tuners.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by DerekDTP!
ill trade ya my white 09 ss/tc haha jk
Did you order your Trifecta tune on their website or did you use another route?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:09 PM

Just got a confirmation email from Trifecta for the order I made last night. I chose the confirmation phone call when ordering, as I have a few unanswered questions for them. Why the email instead of a phone call? Are they that busy? This tune is costing me a few clams. I am used to getting my cars dyno tuned in person using SCT software (asking the tuner questions as we go), so this is a stretch of my trust for me to use the online ordering route.

Not feeling good about this so far. I left a message on their voice mail, but no call back yet.

My questions pertain to running the dual mode tune over a single tune. I would prefer the single tune. Also, rev limit questions. Using SCT, I got a handheld programmer and used it to data log and make adjustments the tuner allows me to. Maybe buy the GT Tuner? Fast food tuning? I like a more personal approach. Maybe it gets better?
I have pictures on my PC at home, I'll see if I can remember to get them this weekend when I'm home...

As for Trifecta, it's a one man show and Vince is always VERY busy. I assure you when you get a hold of him on the phone he will talk to you for as long as you need to. Relax though, you will be getting a great tune and he will support you on it.

I don't see a downside to using the dual tune he offers, but he will do whatever you ask him to do with your tune. I am not sure what you are asking after that... About the rev limiter, he can raise it if you want to, but with the stock turbo you need to leave the limiter at stock, all you do is lose power when you are approaching the stock rev limiter, there's no need to go over stock.

As for the tune itself, you will load what he sends you, datalog, send the file to him to tweek, then rinse and repeat until your tune is as good as it can be. Again, I assure you, you will not be left out in the rain on this one.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:17 PM

My questions pertain to running the dual mode tune over a single tune. I would prefer the single tune. Also, rev limit questions. Using SCT, I got a handheld programmer and used it to data log and make adjustments the tuner allows me to. Maybe buy the GT Tuner? Fast food tuning? I like a more personal approach. Maybe it gets better?
The selectable is nice cuz with the cruise on you get the same gas economy as stock, better actually cuz of revised timing, and you don't spin tires everywhere you go. If you want truly custom tuning check into HP tuners, they unlocked everything on the LNF tuning recently, that is the way to go.

EDIT: As far as rev limit like sopnge addressed above, you can leave it at stock... I would say take it a little higher so you can stay in 3rd in the 1/4 mile and not have to pull 4th... the stock turbo falls off at about 6200rpm on mine and gets down to 20psi (from a commanded 24 on my car) by like 6500... I usually shift at like 6000rpm in a highway pull anyways cuz it dumps you into the big juicy center of the powerband and boost is instant after the shift.

Last edited by RyRidesMotox; 05-04-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by RyRidesMotox
The selectable is nice cuz with the cruise on you get the same gas economy as stock, better actually cuz of revised timing, and you don't spin tires everywhere you go. If you want truly custom tuning check into HP tuners, they unlocked everything on the LNF tuning recently, that is the way to go.

EDIT: As far as rev limit like sopnge addressed above, you can leave it at stock... I would say take it a little higher so you can stay in 3rd in the 1/4 mile and not have to pull 4th... the stock turbo falls off at about 6200rpm on mine and gets down to 20psi (from a commanded 24 on my car) by like 6500... I usually shift at like 6000rpm in a highway pull anyways cuz it dumps you into the big juicy center of the powerband and boost is instant after the shift.
Excellent. Vince called me back and answered my questions. I went with a single 23psi tune all the time. I didn't want to hold a button down for 6 seconds to activate it, as I already have to press the fog light button (oh, such hard work).

We bumped the rev limiter to 6800, just to cross the traps in 3rd, like you suggested. On the street, I will shift at 6kish, but don't need fourth gear at the track.

Thanks for your help guys. I am coming from a world of rear wheel new edge Mustangs and now I am in a new world of direct injection and turbos.

BTW, check out my Saleen: SCMC Message Forum - Built 2001 S281 SC Saleen

Last edited by apicia; 05-09-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:18 PM

Excellent. Vince called me back and was intelligent and answered my questions. I went with a single 23psi tune all the time. I didn't want to hold a button down for 6 seconds to activate it, as I already have to press the fog light button (oh, such hard work).

We bumped the rev limiter to 6800, just to cross the traps in 3rd, like you suggested. On the street, I will shift at 6kish, but don't need fourth gear at the track.

Thanks for your help guys. I am coming from a world of rear wheel new edge Mustangs and now I am in a new world of direct injection and turbos.

BTW, check out my Saleen: SCMC Message Forum - Built 2001 S281 SC Saleen
LOL you are gonna have to press the tcs for 10 seconds at the track to get the traction control off though... You only gotta click the cruise button. But now that my selectable is gone its not a big deal... I run an HP tunes only setup now.

EDIT: not a bad looking mustang either... careful around here though... there are a bunch of balts with an airbox mod and a tune that will beat the pants off that thing ahh sarcasm
Old 05-04-2011, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by sponge14
I have pictures on my PC at home, I'll see if I can remember to get them this weekend when I'm home...

As for the tune itself, you will load what he sends you, datalog, send the file to him to tweek, then rinse and repeat until your tune is as good as it can be. Again, I assure you, you will not be left out in the rain on this one.
Get them pics.

Thanks for the assurance. The combo is not unique, so my guess is he can nail it down in a few revisions. Now, if he could enable driver mod, then we'll be gettin somewhere...
Old 05-04-2011, 10:20 PM

Very nice.....
Old 05-04-2011, 11:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nice car dude. i loveee that color
Old 05-08-2011, 10:43 AM

I am now at 23psi and drive around with ESC off. I don't know where he set the A/F or timing, so I should be around 300whp with my mods. I need just a little more. I am thinking 400whp would be nice. Where is that bolt on turbo replacement?
Old 05-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

I have a 23-24 PSI tune from trifecta and left the rev limiter at the stock setting ...... something about the LNF doesn't like to be spun too high on the stock valve train..... been running it for over a year and no issues . It seems like people are breaking followers left and right thou.... I wonder what RPM their spinning when they go.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by rukkee
I have a 23-24 PSI tune from trifecta and left the rev limiter at the stock setting ...... something about the LNF doesn't like to be spun too high on the stock valve train..... been running it for over a year and no issues . It seems like people are breaking followers left and right thou.... I wonder what RPM their spinning when they go.
Yeah, I only raised the rev limiter so I can cross the traps in third gear. On the street, I will shift at 6krpm, although it probably sees 6200rpm by the time I complete the shift. The stock turbo runs out of gusto at 6krpm.

I wish they had a bolt on turbo that would make 400whp and still keep the 6k street rev limiter. I know the short block can take 450whp, but I was not thinking about the valve train... Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:36 PM

Added a few updated pictures...
Old 05-19-2011, 05:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That's a nice camera, too.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you track the car (road), stay stock brakes + PRS SS brake lines.

Quick Reply: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC Sport Red Tintcoat Metallic