08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

About to buy the 2009 SS sedan...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to buy the 2009 SS sedan...

Your help would be appreciated. I am about to buy the 2009 Cobalt SS sedan. The value for performance is tremendous, plus the cash for clunkers, plus my dad is throwing his GM card money on it...I can't pass it up.

That said, there's not many out there. One I've found is loaded up with everything...it is silver, which is decent to me. The color I truly want is the sportcoat red tint, but that one does not have the limited slip differential. From what I understand, that is a good option to have performance-wise. Should I just stick with the silver, which is cool...or get my fav. color and try and get it aftermarket? Does GM sell it and put it on? Do aftermarket manufacturers sell something like it or better??

Thanks for your help. I look forward to posting more on this forum.

Oh, and also...while I am here, what can I do to improve performance without sacrificing MPG, or even improving them?

Is there a consensus computer that is like that? Air intake and exhaust models? I like the idea of performance and my wallet like the idea of a thrifty car that get awesome mileage. So I'd like to maximize both. Thanks!!!!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:12 AM

It all depends on what u value more performance or looks. Yes the Lsd is a great thing to have with traction in certain situations My car doesnt have the Lsd and im fine with it. I dont really rag my car and or take to a track to notice it maybe when winter comes and traction sucks will i regret not gettin a lsd equipped model. IM sure gm has a lsd part u can have installed but im sure it will cost about 1k to get it installed. I dont have any mods so cant comment on what is great or not.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by chevymanva
It all depends on what u value more performance or looks. Yes the Lsd is a great thing to have with traction in certain situations My car doesnt have the Lsd and im fine with it. I dont really rag my car and or take to a track to notice it maybe when winter comes and traction sucks will i regret not gettin a lsd equipped model. IM sure gm has a lsd part u can have installed but im sure it will cost about 1k to get it installed. I dont have any mods so cant comment on what is great or not.
Thanks! I did some searching on here and some say it really is something to have for only 495 dollars. Apparently to have GM do it after can be about 2500. I guess I am leaning towards the silver then, which as I said, is like an 8/10 color-wise, where the red sport tint is 10/10. I wouldn't be disappointed with silver.

I am interested in the computer, exhaust, intake, and anything else that could push performance and maintain or improve mileage. I am also interested in things that aren't engine related where a significant improvement can be seen for not too, too much money can be seen...like tires (are the stock cool?), or other things that affect handling.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2009, 12:15 PM

If your a track racer get the LSD. If your into drag racing your fine without it. The new SS Sedans are really nice, though have you looked at the Caliber Srt-4's? You can't go wrong with either but the SRT looks better than the sedan (IMO) and has more potential on the stock turbo. Then again it won't handle as well as the SS.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Perfect.disguise
If your a track racer get the LSD. If your into drag racing your fine without it. The new SS Sedans are really nice, though have you looked at the Caliber Srt-4's? You can't go wrong with either but the SRT looks better than the sedan (IMO) and has more potential on the stock turbo. Then again it won't handle as well as the SS.
I have not. I will though. Thanks for the feedback.

Have the stage LNF performance kits from GM come out on the 2009 SS cobalt yet?
Old 08-02-2009, 12:21 PM

Congratulations, and you are welcome. Don't forget to thank all the hard working tax paying Americans who helped make this happen for you.

BTW, Dodge is doubling the "CARS" program so you can get up to $9,000 off the price of a new Dodge. I'm just throwing that out there.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:44 PM

I just got my 09 SS 4D the other day and it has the LSD and a few other things I could have gone with out but it was cheaper to get this one over the one I really did like, till I saw the Red Sportstint color that and the other one was 270 miles away.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:53 PM

I loove mine man... 4drs and power ta' boot!
Old 08-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Banned

i wish i woulda gone with the sedan after the fact. I deff would had the coupe rear lip put on after though. Saw that **** and it was the sex. drop it a lol oooooooo boy!
Old 08-02-2009, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by neogenic
I have not. I will though. Thanks for the feedback.

Have the stage LNF performance kits from GM come out on the 2009 SS cobalt yet?
Yeah, the stock SRT turbo is good for about ~375 WHP and and a compressor upgrade can net up to ~415whp. 1badss/sc (sp) has one with Mopar stg1 and some bolt ons and is putting down over 320whp. He still has his warranty aswell unlike most of the tuned TC's. The stage kits still aren't out yet for the SS.

Here is a nice vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjQiQa_7DUk
Old 08-02-2009, 01:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
the srt4 does not have a mechanical lsd, it does not handle as well as the SS. The SS is a track ready car, weather it be road course or drag. Its the fastest FWD car in the US stock. If you want another 4 door the Mazdaspeed 3 is the next best choice. That car also is track ready with a mechanical lsd with MUCH MORE available options than either ss or srt

I wanted the sporttint coat too but couldnt find one anywhere near me so I got white. The performance is worth getting a different color! good luck on the search! theres actually a 4 door SS here in MN in sport tint coat.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:42 PM

Yeah, the stock SRT turbo is good for about ~375 WHP and and a compressor upgrade can net up to ~415whp. 1badss/sc (sp) has one with Mopar stg1 and some bolt ons and is putting down over 320whp. He still has his warranty aswell unlike most of the tuned TC's. The stage kits still aren't out yet for the SS.

Here is a nice vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjQiQa_7DUk
Because that car is still stock turbo..... please...

Anyway... we can get 350-360whp and 400+ wtq out of our stock turbo. And still be quicker than the CSRT4.

And keeping the warranty... thats just a matter of the dealer. I myself have had no issues getting work done on my car...
Old 08-02-2009, 01:50 PM

Yeah, though some people are more into drag racing or even just having a fast dd than a track car. Has the MS3 been fully unlocked yet? I heard they gave up on it.

Originally Posted by 1badBlueberrySC
Because that car is still stock turbo..... please...

Anyway... we can get 350-360whp and 400+ wtq out of our stock turbo. And still be quicker than the CSRT4.

And keeping the warranty... thats just a matter of the dealer. I myself have had no issues getting work done on my car...
Stock turbo housing.

"November 1st, 2008 - Our Realtune CSRT-4 was just dynoed and retuned on full race gas and made 431.9HP and 533TQ thank to our Realtune Stage 2 Kit and Bolt on's!"

Big Diff in numbers, eh?
It all just depends what you want the car for.

Last edited by Perfect.disguise; 08-02-2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-02-2009, 01:55 PM

sedan
Old 08-02-2009, 01:56 PM

Yeah, though some people are more into drag racing or even just having a fast dd than a track car. Has the MS3 been fully unlocked yet? I heard they gave up on it.

Stock turbo housing.

"November 1st, 2008 - Our Realtune CSRT-4 was just dynoed and retuned on full race gas and made 431.9HP and 533TQ thank to our Realtune Stage 2 Kit and Bolt on's!"
cobb has all if not close to most the ecu unlocked. Hell HPtuners is said to not have all the SS unlocked. There are 400whp ms3's, but the only people wanting that much power are drag racers. The reason the srt4's are so quick to gain power is that they arent DI engines. If they went DI you'd see much less big hp srt4's.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:06 PM

400whp MS3's on complete turbo swap?
Old 08-02-2009, 02:13 PM

If you want to buy a cobalt ss, all the power to you. You will love the power, handling and brakes, but I must tell you that the tranny is a pos!
Old 08-02-2009, 02:15 PM

400whp MS3's on complete turbo swap?
bolt ons with big garrett turbo and tune.

anyway back on topic, yes SS sedan is nice. The only things I hate about the car are no HID's, the cup holders a **** and the interior is ok but could be better. I miss the ms3 for those reasons but performance is almost the same between the two, but the gearing on the SS is awesome, 2nd gear goes to what 65mph. mmmm very nice.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by firstnewcar
If you want to buy a cobalt ss, all the power to you. You will love the power, handling and brakes, but I must tell you that the tranny is a pos!
IS that consensus on the board? I've read so many glowing reviews on the 2009 cobalt SS sedan.

What mods can make to the SS sedan that can maintain or improve mileage along with performance? Cold air intake, exhaust, etc?

Last edited by neogenic; 08-02-2009 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-02-2009, 04:23 PM

how in the world did you come up with the tranny being a pos? The only issue I've ever known was the roll pin which isnt too common and the clutch not holding a whole lot more than 300-350whp. That does not mean its a pos.... your statement needs proof.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

The tranny 's are fine in these cars, perfect....no ....but far from a POS. GM should have made LSD a feature of the car...not an option .
Old 08-02-2009, 04:42 PM

And you can still have a tune making over 300whp and keep the warranty, Vince's new stealth tune will take care of that. I've got the sedan and love it, I've only seen one other ss/tc sedan in my area.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by rukkee
The tranny 's are fine in these cars, perfect....no ....but far from a POS. GM should have made LSD a feature of the car...not an option .
I concur, lsd should of been standard in all SS models.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:51 PM

huh ?

What's your beef with the SS tranny ?

It's one of the most precise & direct tranny I've experienced thus far.

Please explain.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by austinss
And you can still have a tune making over 300whp and keep the warranty, Vince's new stealth tune will take care of that. I've got the sedan and love it, I've only seen one other ss/tc sedan in my area.
What is Vince's Stealth Tune?

Quick Reply: About to buy the 2009 SS sedan...