08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Blown turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown turbo?

Only code i got was p0302 swapped around coil packs and plugs never got the misfire code back still running the same. Stft are around +15/+20 at idle.
changed oil, no coolant in oil, no oil in coolant.
Compression test showed 130-135 for all cylinders.

Checked turbo for damage and shaft play. Wheel looked in good shape but the shaft play was pretty slopping pulling in and out.

small but steady amount of blue smoke from exhaust at idle. Decent puffs come out when giving it some gas.
Exhaust doesn't sound steady. Kinda sounds like its missing or something. Went for a very very short ride around block and sounded like someone opened the back window going down the interstate. Best i can describe it.
I have a few video clips I'll post once i figure out how.
Car is stuck at my place waiting for a tow to my dad's garage for further trouble shooting.

Exhaust smoke.

Exhaust idle
​​​​

Motor

Last edited by scottjt13; 08-01-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:09 PM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
p0302 is a cylinder 2 misfire specifically. Usually when you have a misfire in a specific cylinder only you have something wrong with that single cylinder. You sure you have good compression in cylinder #2? If something was wrong with your turbo it would cause problems across all cylinders instead of just one. First thing I would pull your spark plug in cylinder 2 and see what the tip looks like. I would say you have something wrong with your piston or valves in that cylinder because of the smoke.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:15 PM

Thank you for quick response. I had pulled all coils and plugs all looked the same. I'm going to replace all plugs but after switching everything around i had no code pending either after multiple starts. Im using the torque pro app and it showed no misfire anywhere after swapping plugs and coils. I will be doing a leak down test hopefully tomorrow when i get it to the garage. I don't have a compressor at my place.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by scottjt13
Thank you for quick response. I had pulled all coils and plugs all looked the same. I'm going to replace all plugs but after switching everything around i had no code pending either after multiple starts. Im using the torque pro app and it showed no misfire anywhere after swapping plugs and coils. I will be doing a leak down test hopefully tomorrow when i get it to the garage. I don't have a compressor at my place.
In your videos you can definitely tell you are having a problem in one cylinder. Even if you are misfiring the code won't set immediately. I assume you are using some sort of bluetooth or wifi OBD II scanner? See if you can find the Mode$06 screen where you can actually watch the active misfire counts for each cylinder as it is running.

I would think the spark plug in cylinder 2 would be blacer/sootier than the rest.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:27 PM

Yes using a Bluetooth scanner with the torque pro app on my phone. It shows current misfire for each cylinder and i didn't get a single count at the time Since I've cleared the code and swapped coils and plugs around. Cylinder 2 spark plugs looked exactly the same as the others. When i pulled them all out i wouldn't have been able to pick out what one was in cylinder 2 all looked the same. I will try finding the screen you are talking about and report back.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:39 PM

Yes using a Bluetooth scanner with the torque pro app on my phone. It shows current misfire for each cylinder and i didn't get a single count at the time Since I've cleared the code and swapped coils and plugs around. Cylinder 2 spark plugs looked exactly the same as the others. When i pulled them all out i wouldn't have been able to pick out what one was in cylinder 2 all looked the same. I will try finding the screen you are talking about and report back.
Was your video of the exhaust puffing taken before or after swapping the plugs/coils?
Old 08-01-2017, 02:52 PM

All videos where after swapping everything around and after compression test. Just went out and started it let it run for a bit. Finally got a pending code for misfire in cylinder 1. I know the coil pack from 2 i put on 4 as far as the spark plugs maybe the one from 2 got put in 1 not sure they they got mixed together. As far as reading live misfire its now showing on every cylinder after it warms up. But only got the code for cylinder 1 so i have no idea how accurate that is.

fuel trims looked to even out but i definitely don't have to intake tightened down all the way after pulling to check turbo. I broke one of the hose clamps.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:56 PM

I would do more swapping of the coils if it causes the misfire to move around. If the misfire moves with the coil then it is a bad coil.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:59 PM

I know for a fact the coil that was on 2 before is now on 4 because it had a different color that the others. I will get all new spark plugs and switch around the coils and see what happens. Im going to have to find a ride to the parts store not paying a taxi again today 20 bucks for a 5 mile round trip
Old 08-01-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Keep swapping them around. Put a yellow dot on cyl 1 coil pack. Swap it Arpund and see if it follows the misfire. If it does. Throw a new coil pack or 4. I got a set for sale. Just sayin lol
Old 08-01-2017, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bass_Waves
Keep swapping them around. Put a yellow dot on cyl 1 coil pack. Swap it Arpund and see if it follows the misfire. If it does. Throw a new coil pack or 4. I got a set for sale. Just sayin lol
I may have to take you up on that set if these spark plugs don't work lol. It took a good 6 key cycles for the code to pop back up in cylinder 1 after clearing it from 2.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:06 PM

Received 132 Likes on 109 Posts
How low are you shifting? When i had a misfire i could get into boost at 3500 at it would throw a code. Shouldnt take 6 cycles
Old 08-01-2017, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by double clutch
How low are you shifting? When i had a misfire i could get into boost at 3500 at it would throw a code. Shouldnt take 6 cycles
I have not and really do not want to drive the car right now so the 6 cycles we're all idle for maybe a minute or 2 a piece
Old 08-03-2017, 05:24 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Unless I'm using Nitrogen, I always set mine to 35 and allow for a little leakage over time and hopefully keep my tires from cupping.

But it's just tires not rocket surgery.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
Unless I'm using Nitrogen, I always set mine to 35 and allow for a little leakage over time and hopefully keep my tires from cupping.

But it's just tires not rocket surgery.
Slightly off topic lol
Old 08-03-2017, 06:26 PM

Slightly off topic lol
I think he accidentally replied to the wrong thread. There is a tire pressure thread that was started today lol.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
I think he accidentally replied to the wrong thread. There is a tire pressure thread that was started today lol.
I ended up fixing misfire and everything but I'm sure turbo is on its last thread with all the shaft play. It's screaming loud now at 10+psi
Old 08-04-2017, 09:22 AM

I ended up fixing misfire and everything but I'm sure turbo is on its last thread with all the shaft play. It's screaming loud now at 10+psi
Definitely had oil smoke coming from somewhere. Have you noticed your oil level dropping at all?
Old 08-04-2017, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
Definitely had oil smoke coming from somewhere. Have you noticed your oil level dropping at all?
Definitely was low when i changed it yes. Before turbo was like this i noticed it starting to get this screaming sound at full boost and not near as loud. And when i would do a shift from full boost (not a no lift shift, still haven't tried that) it would sometimes dump a nice cloud of smoke usually after second gear pull when it's very warm out
Old 08-08-2017, 12:15 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Definitely was low when i changed it yes. Before turbo was like this i noticed it starting to get this screaming sound at full boost and not near as loud. And when i would do a shift from full boost (not a no lift shift, still haven't tried that) it would sometimes dump a nice cloud of smoke usually after second gear pull when it's very warm out
my car does that now. Its been doing it for a few years. The screaming whine sound you are talking about only occured with my 24 psi tune. Its always been there. ON my stock tune, it doesnt happen.

I get puffs of black smoke during full throttle high rpm shifts but im sure its from running rich during 100% throttle or its a lot of soot built up in the exhaust.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by CudaJoe
my car does that now. Its been doing it for a few years. The screaming whine sound you are talking about only occured with my 24 psi tune. Its always been there. ON my stock tune, it doesnt happen.

I get puffs of black smoke during full throttle high rpm shifts but im sure its from running rich during 100% throttle or its a lot of soot built up in the exhaust.
​​​​​​
mine never screamed before then started to at full boost 23 psi now anytime after 5psi
Old 08-23-2017, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
that first video sounds an awful lot like you have an sti. which means one of the cylinders is dead. unless its just a bad video. would like to hear it driving. doesn't necessarily mean its bad, can be a dead coil pack, shot spark plug, up to a blown rings. maybe a better video. the blue smoke, if compression and leak down test check out, is possibly ur turbo, or could very well be ur intake is full of blow by oil from the intake and u need ur valves cleaned and a powell oil separator to prevent this from happening again if that's the cause.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by tomj77
that first video sounds an awful lot like you have an sti. which means one of the cylinders is dead. unless its just a bad video. would like to hear it driving. doesn't necessarily mean its bad, can be a dead coil pack, shot spark plug, up to a blown rings. maybe a better video. the blue smoke, if compression and leak down test check out, is possibly ur turbo, or could very well be ur intake is full of blow by oil from the intake and u need ur valves cleaned and a powell oil separator to prevent this from happening again if that's the cause.
Coil pack was bad giving the rough idle swapped all new ones in. Turbo seals were shot. Swapped in a different turbo. Just playing with an exhaust leak now running great tho.