08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Canadian Owners with RPD

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian Owners with RPD

Can you change your display from metric to imperial?

or is all the PSI in KPA? on that too...
Old 03-09-2009, 11:54 AM

I don't think any Canadians have the RDP unless they ordered it from the US and did it themselfs. However, you should be able to change it
Old 03-09-2009, 11:56 AM

I have factory ordered the car, it's coming with RPD...

Unless, I can't change it... if that's the case I will do what you did with your boost gauge
Old 03-09-2009, 11:59 AM

What option code did they give you? Something tells me you are going to get a call very shortly and be given some bad news about this. Either you wont be getting youre car with rpd anytime soon, or they cant get it period.

From what GM Canada told me they were on back order, and may not even make the 09 cut, as the yanks would get first dibs. I have had one on backorder for months now (ordered it for option cost so the rep could save my sale..)
Old 03-09-2009, 12:00 PM

I had it factory ordered too but then the guy said I wasn't gonna have the car for a few months no cars in Canada had the RDP installed according to their system. That is when I just decided to have a boost gauge. Stupid as it is an option but they can't deliver on it or atleast couldn't back in Dec
Old 03-09-2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS
What option code did they give you? Something tells me you are going to get a call very shortly and be given some bad news about this. Either you wont be getting youre car with rpd anytime soon, or they cant get it period.

From what GM Canada told me they were on back order, and may not even make the 09 cut, as the yanks would get first dibs. I have had one on backorder for months now (ordered it for option cost so the rep could save my sale..)
Option Code is UAF

I ordered the car Feb 4th, Original Build Date was April 26th.

My dealership got it bumped up to April 6th

Only problem is, I have no idea..... if I can change any of the settings, if I do it via the Dash... will it also change the RPD?

I don't want KPA! I called my dealership today, I asked him if he could change it... he went on his thingy and said. it's already in gm's system, and he can't uncheck the UAF option..

It sucks that I can't see this thing in person, I called a few GM service departments in the area too, including my dealership.. they all told me they have no idea.. Since they have never had one, or seen one

edit:

My rep, told me he's gonna send his e-mail to his contact at Detriot, or Ohio.. i'm not sure.. and ask them to change it...

At least if I get the boost gague, I can change it... RPD... No FRIGGIN CLUE!!!
Old 03-09-2009, 12:16 PM

I would hope GM would include the option to change the RPD readout. I understand WHY the readouts in Canada are KPA, but when the hell was the last time you said "Oh snap my tires don't have 650kpa of air in them!!"...it's the same as KWh...that ****'s more for Australia, New Zealand and Britain. I worked with someone from New Zealand and he asked me one day "How many KWh is your engine?" I swear I gave him a look like he had the hugest pile of **** on his face ever I said "I don't know, all I know is HP, KWh applies to how much electricity is flowing into my house, not what my car puts out" .

Problem being, Canada is somewhat mixed as far as what system we follow. Yes we use KM and L, but when it comes to other measurements we do NOT follow the metric system at ALL. Sure I can do the math but it's not something I'm real comfortable with...but I suppose GM was damned if they didn't damned if they did.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Permafried-
I would hope GM would include the option to change the RPD readout. I understand WHY the readouts in Canada are KPA, but when the hell was the last time you said "Oh snap my tires don't have 650kpa of air in them!!"...it's the same as KWh...that ****'s more for Australia, New Zealand and Britain. I worked with someone from New Zealand and he asked me one day "How many KWh is your engine?" I swear I gave him a look like he had the hugest pile of **** on his face ever I said "I don't know, all I know is HP, KWh applies to how much electricity is flowing into my house, not what my car puts out" .

Problem being, Canada is somewhat mixed as far as what system we follow. Yes we use KM and L, but when it comes to other measurements we do NOT follow the metric system at ALL. Sure I can do the math but it's not something I'm real comfortable with...but I suppose GM was damned if they didn't damned if they did.
I just called GM, they have no friggin clue either

If I change it in the DIC, then it may change on the RPD...

Cereal is your tire pressure in KPA?
Old 03-09-2009, 12:33 PM

Yeah my tire pressure is in KPA and I have no idea how to read it. To switch it to PSI, I have to switch everything over to mph and miles
Old 03-09-2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by cereal83
Yeah my tire pressure is in KPA and I have no idea how to read it. To switch it to PSI, I have to switch everything over to mph and miles
If only someone could hack it!
Old 03-09-2009, 12:39 PM

I wish too. Its BS. I still wanna know who uses kpa because I have never seen it used before in my life
Old 03-09-2009, 12:47 PM

Hey at least if i'm stuck with the RPD.... I will be the only one in Canada lol :P
Old 03-09-2009, 12:53 PM

To get from KPA -> PSI you have to divide by about 7 (approxmiation, really 6.8ish) which I can deal with reading tire pressure, but I'm not typically looking at my boost gauge and doing math in my head when my turbo's spooling and I'm flying down the street .
Old 03-09-2009, 01:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
To get from KPA -> PSI you have to divide by about 7 (approxmiation, really 6.8ish) which I can deal with reading tire pressure, but I'm not typically looking at my boost gauge and doing math in my head when my turbo's spooling and I'm flying down the street .
Just memorize approximate increments, that's what I did.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:18 PM

Tire pressure is fine, I can deal with that I think like 30psi is like 220kpa.. easy enough...

Not sure what the cobalt's tire are 32?

But Boost..
Old 03-09-2009, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Force
Just memorize approximate increments, that's what I did.
Same, I take the approximately 140 being close to 21 and estimate from there. Out of curiosity, what type of boost levels are you seeing in Waterloo with the recent weather if you go WOT? I THINK I was seeing in the ballpark of 15PSI yesterday but I was paying more attention to the road (was still a little wet and the Alpin winters do NOT like heavy water) than the boost gauge when I decided to give it a good rip on Saturday with the weather being well above 0. I'm sure I'll get on it again sooner or later, but I'm also trying to gauge fuel economy of I drive "normal" this time around since I swear I'm getting the same if not better milage than my LS .

G-Speed, I have the winters on right now running 32PSI but I'll have to check what I'm at when I get the summer wheels/tires back on the end of March. I'm keeping the winters on longer than usual since the summers will be completely useless if temperatures continue to hover around 0 or slightly below...that and I'd like the roads to clean up a bit since we appear to have beaches popping up all over the city with the snow disappearing .
Old 03-09-2009, 01:31 PM

Same, I take the approximately 140 being close to 21 and estimate from there. Out of curiosity, what type of boost levels are you seeing in Waterloo with the recent weather if you go WOT? I THINK I was seeing in the ballpark of 15PSI yesterday but I was paying more attention to the road (was still a little wet and the Alpin winters do NOT like heavy water) than the boost gauge when I decided to give it a good rip on Saturday with the weather being well above 0. I'm sure I'll get on it again sooner or later, but I'm also trying to gauge fuel economy of I drive "normal" this time around since I swear I'm getting the same if not better milage than my LS .

G-Speed, I have the winters on right now running 32PSI but I'll have to check what I'm at when I get the summer wheels/tires back on the end of March. I'm keeping the winters on longer than usual since the summers will be completely useless if temperatures continue to hover around 0 or slightly below...that and I'd like the roads to clean up a bit since we appear to have beaches popping up all over the city with the snow disappearing .

Tell me about it the roads are so messed up, potholes everywhere!!

I'm assuming you had snow this morning on the ground also :P
Old 03-09-2009, 02:07 PM

Same, I take the approximately 140 being close to 21 and estimate from there. Out of curiosity, what type of boost levels are you seeing in Waterloo with the recent weather if you go WOT? I THINK I was seeing in the ballpark of 15PSI yesterday but I was paying more attention to the road (was still a little wet and the Alpin winters do NOT like heavy water)
I haven't gone WOT too often lately, so I couldn't tell you. The quality of the roads sucks right now, for one, coupled with the fact that I can't get traction until third at WOT with the winters on. 13-15psi sounds about right lately though.

I totally know where you're coming from on the wet road point... My Gizlaveds are unstoppable in the snow, but they really don't like puddles. Can you say hydroplane?

Oh well... The Contis and 18s go back on the weekend of the 20th! I'm pumped.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:42 PM

GSpeed, there was no snow on the ground this morning, just had a load of rain overnight, and as Force said, I'm now worried about hydroplaning everywhere I go with the flooding we're experiencing (London's drainage is garbage). My winters did well in the deeper snow, not as well as my 16" X-Ice did on my LS, but I wasn't expecting the same performance out of an 18" snow tire due to the smaller and stiffer sidewall, but it made it through .

Someone *cough*GSpeed*cough* will be lucky to take delivery of their car when there roads have cleared up, short of the potholes of course. I'm running slaloms to work right now which keeps things interesting but scares the hell out of the drivers around me. Mind you, London has long been criticized for the conditions of their roads (hell 3 of them made the top 10 worst roads in Ontario list the other year ) and with the stiffer suspension in the SS I'm far more aware of it than I was previously in my LS.

I'm holding off on the summers until the 1st of April timeframe just to make sure we don't get another random shitstorm...I've yet to drive the car on the summers so I'm sure I'll be ripping it all the way home giving them a test for balance and performance of course . Come ON Spring!!
Old 03-09-2009, 03:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've got an RPD. When you change the units in the DIC (hold info+reset buttons for a second and let go) it also changes the units that the RPD displays. Unfortunately, in addition to changing the speeds to KPH it will also change the boost pressure and tire pressures to KPa. It sounds like you may be best suited to keep the MPH/PSI in the DIC and watching speed on your normal speedometer since it's got both on it, unless you want to use the speed/lateral-g display on the RPD.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just went out to my car and tested this. When you change the units from english -> metric in the DIC, the RPD instantly changes to metric as well.

Edit: haha looks like Stamina just beat me

Last edited by Gimpster; 03-09-2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: I suck.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:48 PM

I'm holding off on the summers until the 1st of April timeframe just to make sure we don't get another random shitstorm...I've yet to drive the car on the summers so I'm sure I'll be ripping it all the way home giving them a test for balance and performance of course . Come ON Spring!!
Screw waiting. If it snows again after I put them on I'll just leave the damn thing parked... The beauty of being in university and living literally a 2 minute walk from class
Old 03-09-2009, 03:55 PM

Did you not get snow today? I had to open my door with a pick there was so much ice on my car
Old 03-09-2009, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by cereal83
Did you not get snow today? I had to open my door with a pick there was so much ice on my car
Nope, no snow here... Saw a little frost/snow on the ground when I left the apartment in the morning, but it was already mostly melted and above zero. Haven't gone to the car yet mind you.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stamina
I've got an RPD. When you change the units in the DIC (hold info+reset buttons for a second and let go) it also changes the units that the RPD displays. Unfortunately, in addition to changing the speeds to KPH it will also change the boost pressure and tire pressures to KPa. It sounds like you may be best suited to keep the MPH/PSI in the DIC and watching speed on your normal speedometer since it's got both on it, unless you want to use the speed/lateral-g display on the RPD.
Good to hear!

I know how to change the DIC, my gf has an 09 LT... just never knew if it would change the RPD... if only I could do it seperatly.. oh well..

I know what you mean... about keeping it mph/psi "imperial", it would suck though because in , we do temp in Celsius.. so I'm screwed.. frig I will just learn kpa...

You screwed us over

Originally Posted by Gimpster
I just went out to my car and tested this. When you change the units from english -> metric in the DIC, the RPD instantly changes to metric as well.

Edit: haha looks like Stamina just beat me
That's okay

Quick Reply: Canadian Owners with RPD