08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

changing front pads and rotors..

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changing front pads and rotors..

but cant find a write up anywhere, any links? ive searched on here.. also google, everything is mainly about the rears

just wanna make sure i do everything right, thanks!
Old 11-30-2011, 09:20 PM

All you should have to do is take off the abs stuff and the two bolts that hold the caliper on. Once those are off the rotor should slide right off. I would assumes its the same as a dsm. Haven't done it on a cobalt but many other cars. Most are all the same. All I've changed in the cobalt was the pads. Took about 20 minutes to do front and back.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:22 PM

yeah i figured itd prob be easy.. i just always double check..
Old 11-30-2011, 09:27 PM

Especially with it being a new car and in Florida it should go really smooth. Try it on a 97 car that's been in Ohio it's whole life. Lol then you have rotors that are rusted on and need a little persuasion. (sledge hammer)
Old 11-30-2011, 09:32 PM

yeah, i can honestly say im happy is doesnt snow here! my family lives in NY and the cars up there are rustedd as fuhhhh.. not all of em but alot
Old 11-30-2011, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't have to remove the front Brembo calipers. Tap the pins out while depressing the spring clips, remove the pads, compress the pistons, install pads, reinsert pins. Sometimes the pins seize in harsh environments. I'd put anti-seize on the heads when reinstalling them.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:00 PM

im looking to do the rotors as well thoo
Old 12-01-2011, 09:35 AM

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-...nstall-244225/

You're welcome.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:25 AM

Awesome, thanks man

Driving to work today, SERVICE BRAKE SYSTEM came on.. Looked at the pads(I knew they were low which is why im doing em) seems like they have a tad bit of life left in em, like atleast another few days, I plan on doing the brakes Saturday .. I have a 20 mile drive home from work, a 40 mile total drive tmrw, work and back, would it be safe to drive without messing anything up? If I need to park it I can find another ride if I really need to
Old 12-01-2011, 11:39 AM

I wouldn't be overly worried about the pads if they have any friction surface left over that length of driving, but I would be more concerned that the light may be on for other reasons....brakes are important.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:05 PM
RHZ

I'm curious. How many miles do you have on your stock pads/rotors?
Old 12-01-2011, 12:14 PM

44K ive heard they're sensors.. Go off when they need to be changed
Old 12-01-2011, 01:00 PM

55k on stock pads/rotors.
Front brake pads need replacing. Dealership already replaced my rear pads and rotors at 12k miles since they were dug a grove in my rotors (known problem)
Don't know if my front rotors can be turned. Might just go ahead and order the R1's

Last edited by 09silverSSS; 12-01-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:09 PM
RHZ

I'll be ticking over 50k in the next few weeks. I checked a few months ago and there was still quite a bit of beef left. Good to know about the sensors, i'm guessing by springtime i'll have to do new rotors and pads. I know my rotors are starting to go bad/warped.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Koz

The R1 thread should be all you need. I'll post the procedure I found anyway though. It'll be a combination of the rotor replacement procedure and the pad replacement procedures.

Rotor Replacement Procedure

Special Tools
• J 41013 Rotor Resurfacing Kit

• J 42450-A Wheel Hub Resurfacing Kit

Warning: Refer to Brake Dust Warning .

Removal Procedure

Caution: Support the brake caliper with heavy mechanic wire, or equivalent, whenever it is separated from its mount and the hydraulic flexible brake hose is still connected. Failure to support the caliper in this manner will cause the flexible brake hose to bear the weight of the caliper, which may cause damage to the brake hose and in turn may cause a brake fluid leak.

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .

2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .

3. Remove the brake caliper bolts (1).

4. Remove the brake caliper assembly from the steering knuckle and support with heavy mechanics wire or equivalent.

Caution: Support the brake caliper with heavy mechanic wire, or equivalent, whenever it is separated from its mount and the hydraulic flexible brake hose is still connected. Failure to support the caliper in this manner will cause the flexible brake hose to bear the weight of the caliper, which may cause damage to the brake hose and in turn may cause a brake fluid leak.

Note: Do NOT disconnect the hydraulic brake flexible hose from the caliper.

5. Matchmark the position of the brake rotor to the wheel studs.

6. Remove and discard the brake rotor retainers (1), if equipped.

7. Remove the disc brake rotor (1).

Installation Procedure

Note: Whenever the brake rotor has been separated from the hub/axle flange, any rust or contaminants should be cleaned from the hub/axle flange and the brake rotor mating surfaces. Failure to do this may result in excessive assembled lateral runout (LRO) of the brake rotor, which could lead to brake pulsation.

1. Using the J 42450-A , thoroughly clean any rust or corrosion from the mating surface of the hub/axle flange.

2. Using the J 41013 , thoroughly clean any rust or corrosion from the mating surface and mounting surface of the brake rotor.

3. Inspect the mating surfaces of the hub/axle flange and the rotor to ensure there are no foreign particles or debris remaining.

4. Install the brake rotor (1)  to the hub. Use the matchmark made prior to removal for proper orientation to the flange.

Note: If reusing the brake caliper bolts the threads of the bolts and the threads of the knuckle mounting holes must be free of residue and debris prior to application of threadlocker in order to ensure proper adhesion and fastener retention.

5. Prepare the bolts and the threaded holes for assembly:

• Thoroughly clean the residue from the bolt threads by using denatured alcohol or equivalent and allow to dry.

• Thoroughly clean the residue from the threaded holes by using denatured alcohol or equivalent and allow to dry.

6. Apply threadlocker GM P/N 12345493 (Canadian P/N 10953488), or equivalent to 2/3 of the threaded length of the caliper bolts. Ensure that there are no gaps in the threadlocker along the length of the filled area of the bolts.

7. Allow the threadlocker to cure approximately 10 minutes before installation.

8. Install the brake caliper assembly to the steering knuckle.

Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution .

9. Install the brake caliper bolts (1).

Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 130 Nˇm (96 lb ft).

10. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .

Pad Replacement Procedure

Front Disc Brake Pads Replacement (With RPO LNF)
Warning: Refer to Brake Dust Warning .

Removal Procedure

1. Inspect the fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir.

2. If the brake fluid level is midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, no brake fluid needs to be removed from the reservoir before proceeding.

3. If the brake fluid level is higher than midway between the maximum–full point and the minimum allowable level, remove brake fluid to the midway point before proceeding.

4. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .

5. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .

6. Holding the lower end of the retainer (1) down and using a hammer and punch carefully tap the lower caliper guide pin (2) inward out of the caliper.

7. Carefully rotate the brake pad retainer (1) upward.

8. Remove the brake pad retainer (1).

9. Using a hammer and punch carefully tap the upper caliper to brake pad mounting pin (2) inward out of the caliper.

10. Using a disc brake pad spreader, apply pressure to the brake pad backing plates until the caliper pistons are fully compressed into the caliper piston bores.

11. Remove the brake pads (1) from the caliper.

Installation Procedure

1. Inspect the brake caliper guide pins. If damaged, or corroded replace the guide pin. Do not attempt to clean away any corrosion.

2. Inspect the brake caliper piston boot for damage and/or deterioration, replace if damaged or deteriorated. Refer to Front Brake Caliper Overhaul .

3. Install the brake pads (1) to the caliper.

4. Install the upper caliper guide pin (2) through the caliper, inner and outer brake pads.

5. Using a hammer and punch, carefully seat the upper guide pin (2) to the outer caliper half. Ensure the caliper guide pin is seated into the outer caliper pin seat.

6. Install the brake pad retainer (1) under the upper caliper pin assembly.

7. Rotate brake pad retainer (1) down.

8. Carefully apply pressure downward on the lower end of the brake pad retainer.

9. Carefully install the lower caliper guide pin (2) through the caliper, inner and outer brake pads.

10. Using a hammer and punch carefully seat the upper guide pin (2)  to the outer caliper half. Ensure the caliper guide pin is seated into the outer caliper pin seat. Ensure the brake pad retainer is centered and retaining both brake pads.

11. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .

12. Lower the vehicle.

13. With the engine OFF, gradually apply the brake pedal to approximately  2/3  of its travel distance.

14. Slowly release the brake pedal.

15. Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 13 and 14 until a firm brake pedal apply is obtained; this will properly seat the brake caliper pistons and brake pads.

16. Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir to the proper level. Refer to Master Cylinder Reservoir Filling .

17. Burnish the pads and rotors. Refer to Brake Pad and Rotor Burnishing .
Old 10-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
subd
Old 10-17-2012, 09:11 AM

Sub'd - Lots of good info!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:00 PM

Do pins have to get replaced every time or only if seized up?