Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10-ss-turbocharged-general-discussion-152/)
-   -   Charge Piping Came Loose..... (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10-ss-turbocharged-general-discussion-152/charge-piping-came-loose-142604/)

IsItFast? 03-24-2012 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by IsItFast? (Post 3102449)
You dont need a tune - to realize the full potential you do. Anyway, I prefer to fix things right, especially on a brand new car. Whats your car going to look like in 10 years if you keep using zip ties and duct tape to fix it? No offense. (oh, and its at $349 now.)

Originally Posted by IsItFast? (Post 3102378)
fix it permanently - Hahn has a group buy on his charge piping right now, looks like we have 20+ people for it (intercooler too). Or get TTR's.

You know, its funny. Looking back on posts I made when I first got the car compared to what I have learned since. I'm back to running stock charge pipes - I ripped all that hahn shit off my car about a year ago, put it back on recently and remembered why I removed it. I never got it to fit right, blew the pipes off more than once due to the "hahn recommended worm clamps, oh yeah they will hold just fine" (that wasnt an issue after going to tbolt clamps, but didnt fix the fitment issues)..

The last time I ripped the piping out I literally threw it across the garage. Its going in the trash this week, I won't even give that crap away. Even the powdercoat job (that I paid extra from hahn for) was beginning to bubble. The 3 ply couplers included in the kit were very short, just enough to get the job done, but were beginning to tear. The 45 degree one did eventually tear.

soundjunky 03-25-2012 01:18 AM

^^ this plays into why I"m rolling with almost entirely OEM parts...

xChase 05-15-2012 03:45 AM

Not sure if this will get any attention in this thread but I'll try.

So my stock charge piping has popped off twice now. Right where it connects to the turbo.

The first time it happened was about 20 minutes after I installed my new downpipe too which made me think I had an exhaust leak or something (I don't know shit about cars lol). So I put the little hose thing back on, and tightened the clamp. Next day the thing pops off again??

I have a 2010. I thought this was fixed by then so what the fuck?

And be nice, I'm mechanically illiterate

soundjunky 05-15-2012 12:20 PM

NEVER had mine pop off...

*shrugs*

all 2010's would have the fix, which basically secured it to a bracket on the top of the engine...

*shrugs*

phaeton217 08-14-2012 06:06 PM

it's a service update that needs to change the clips, if your car is still under warranty it's free

TurbaltSS_09 05-15-2013 08:06 PM

My stock cp never blew off... I bought an upper cp from ZZP only blew off once in the year and a half I had it. Make sure you tighten it up after the motor gets warm a few times.

metroplex 05-15-2013 08:08 PM

When I was shopping for a SS/TC, all of the early 2009s had the stock charge piping come loose. I showed the salespeople this and pushed it back in place to show them. My 2009 was manufactured around early 2009 and had a revised clip. 4 years later, it is still in place.

cfsnipers 05-16-2013 08:58 PM

I have hahn piping all around with a stage 1 and its awesome! Never any issues other than putting a dent in my hood. But i have a new hood now and no problems.

09FullBoost 07-31-2013 08:46 PM

Have a 09 and my cp has blown off many times right where the pipe meets the top of the turbo. I brought it in for the warranty work and they didn't really do anything. So it happened again a little while after I brought it to the dealer, so he looked with me and tightened it while I was looking and he tightened it all the way down like I had. And it was warm so no more expanding was gonna happen. It worked well with no problems for a while.. Then boom! Again! So I keep a little ratchet and socket in my glove compartment just in case.
I saw the zip ties near the beginning of this thread but I'm sure that wont help tying down the middle of the pipe when it comes off right at the turbo. So what do I do to keep it clamped down. ....

Ps, I have a stock motor and everything. Car is bone stock.

soundjunky 08-01-2013 10:21 AM

do you have the clip?
Is it retained in the location mentioned earlier?

if you don't, then the pipe is able to move - in order to come loose the whole pipe has to be able to move;
affixing the pipe midway limits the pipes' ability to move, and thereby eliminating this issue.

I have aprox 109,000km, and not once has my pipe come off ~ then again mine is a late '09 model year build - so it had the revised clip from the get-go.

PsychoGenius 08-01-2013 02:54 PM

I have the upper/lower pipes from ZZP, and when I put them on, I used tbolt clamps and cranked those fuckers down hard. Ran the car for a couple months, and they were fine.. but then the weather started doing some funky things, and I was blowing the upper one off like every 3 days. Once it was teh coldest day out, I tightened it up with an impact drill, and ever since then, never had it come off.

09FullBoost 08-01-2013 03:48 PM

Soundjunkie What clip is this? Can u post a pic or something?

And yes the whole pipe moves

soundjunky 08-02-2013 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by 09FullBoost (Post 7116624)
Soundjunkie What clip is this? Can u post a pic or something?

And yes the whole pipe moves

:r: please go back to the begining of this thread.