08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

The Cobalt SS Turbo will become the next Pontiac Fiero!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Cobalt SS Turbo will become the next Pontiac Fiero!!!!!

Hahahaha I bet that caught your attention!!! ok......let me explain.

a few months back i wrote a thread called "The Cobalt SS Turbo will become the next Eagle Talon". I loved the response that I got from everyone. Some was positive some was negative but i enjoyed reading everyones reply. It was a thread that I think needed to be wrote about the future of the Cobalt SS Turbo. I still truly believe that the Cobalt SS Turbo will suffer the same fate as the Eagle Talon!

well.........now i have another thought and i truly stand behind this thread.

"The Cobalt SS Turbo will become the next Pontiac Fiero"

thats a pretty big accusation to say!! Yup it sure is. I can hear you all now.
"how can you compare a mid engine, 2 seater, RWD, V6 to a FWD, Turbo, Front mount engine!

Allow me to explain before you burn me at the stake!!!

I was talking to a neighbour on my street one day who happens to own a 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT with a 3800 series supercharged GM engine . He was looking my Cobalt SS Turbo up and down and was very pleased with it. I told him how much I loved it and how GM truly out did themselves............but I wished GM had done two things.

1. They made it All Wheel Drive!.....or a least a limited number of AWD models.
2. It had a 6 speed transmission!

He laughed and said......"it will, give it 10 years or so and someone will come up with a way to do it!" I laugh and shrugged it off but he insisted it would happen. He was the original owner of his 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT and explained how Fiero fans felt about what GM had left out on the Pontiac Fiero........ya know that little bit extra that could have truly perfected the car.
The 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT was dubbed "the year they got it right'. Finally GM had spent some money and gave the Fiero the suspension and brakes it had deserved. The styling was at its best and was the only year that you could get a GM factory T-Tops. However.....what fiero fans wanted was a supercharged V6 to truly compete with the Toyota MR2. Other fans longed for a V8.
After enough years had pasted the fiero had hit rock bottom prices. This left the door open for the fanatical innovators to attempt what GM failed to do. After many attempts by owners there is now a decent set up for the Fiero to add the 3800 series Supercharged V6 or the North Star V8.
The Fiero was a great car by GM........serious......stop laughing!! Any one who knocks on Fiero GT's has never driven one. They have a low stance that rides like its on rails. The V6 in the back is quite peppy for its day(not much by todays standards) and the looks of a GT fast back, still catch your eye today. 1988 was the best year of the Fiero.....and also the last year, figure that one out?

hmmmmmmm that sounds fimiliar

Sooooo let me get ths straight! GM Performance Division spends al this time perfecting the Cobalt SS Turbocharged and only 2 and a half years in they scrap it. They finally got the Cobalt right at the end of its run like the Fiero. We dont even know if they are going to carry the SS Turbo over to the new Cruze.

After talking to my neighbour, who did the 3800 seres swap to his Fiero, im thinking that Cobalt SS Turbo owners will be the same way down the road. I mean look at this forum.........its a tight community of enthusiasts who are always helping each other out and discovering new things, good or bad, about our Turbo Cobalts! In time when the Turbo Cobalt hits the lowest price that it will ever be worth im confident that someone out there will attempt an AWD conversion.

There is a lot of haters out there who will argue that AWD isnt all it cracked up to be. That it adds a lot of weight to a car, more expensive and some people even think it makes a car handle like ****(go figure that one)???? Im an old DSM guy who has owned 2 Eagle Talon Turbo AWD and let me put it this way. In the DSM world you had the FWD Talon guys who loved their FWD and those that loved their FWD but wished they had bought an AWD. With the AWD Talon owners you never heard them ever say they wish their Talon was FWD..........AHEM!!

To conclude my point......The Cobalt SS Turbo will become the next Pontiac Fiero!! It will be a car that will soon be forgotten by the main stream( actually it already is) but will be a huge collectors item in the long run if kept in good shape. They are both great GM performance cars that unfortunately GM squashed at the end of their run once they finally got it right. Both cars lack a few extra goodies that enthusiasts wish GM had added and both are over looked by most!

Write back everyone......agree or disagree??
Old 08-21-2010, 05:23 PM

it's possible, not likely. very well written reguardless.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i had a 1986 Fiero GT as my first car and it was about as much fun to me so without even reading your post i agree lol

my 86 GT and my friends 91MR2 Turbo

Old 08-21-2010, 05:40 PM

you can write my freind......ok I see where you are coming from and yes they are the same in that way but atlest the turbalt was made for one then a year.

I think it is more like a dsm then a fiero
Old 08-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Banned

ya but the fiero its self was made for 5 years where as the turbo cobalt was made for 2 and a half! i dont mean to leave out the supercharged cobalts but i truly think they are a forgettable first attempt from gm. They got it right when the Turbo SS was made. Hope I didnt offend anyone
Old 08-21-2010, 05:47 PM

no they didn't..interior still sucked. Wasn't right, quite a few people with brake problems. Still had a little to go.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rydis
no they didn't..interior still sucked. Wasn't right, quite a few people with brake problems. Still had a little to go.
true but with a stage one tune it will out run anything out there under 40K
I dont think the fiero could do that and I know the SC could not. and interior is fine for me I have bluetooth and a sub and also some of the best seats ever!
Old 08-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Banned

Meh!!!! i laug when people knock the Cbalt SS Turbos interior.......funny but these same people where the ones who drove early to mid 90's CRX's and civics for years and now they knock the Cobalts interior for been plain.......its like this,

"GM put their time and money into the performance of the car.....For that you got an RPD, wicked SS seats, no lift *****, launch control, LSD, sticky race tires and wheels and a 2.0 litre Turbo Charged Engine"

sorry if you wanted seat warmers and push button start....ut GM did and amazing job!! HATS OFF TO GM!!
Old 08-21-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by hydroturboss
Meh!!!! i laug when people knock the Cbalt SS Turbos interior.......funny but these same people where the ones who drove early to mid 90's CRX's and civics for years and now they knock the Cobalts interior for been plain.......its like this,

"GM put their time and money into the performance of the car.....For that you got an RPD, wicked SS seats, no lift *****, launch control, LSD, sticky race tires and wheels and a 2.0 litre Turbo Charged Engine"

sorry if you wanted seat warmers and push button start....ut GM did and amazing job!! HATS OFF TO GM!!
actually my first car as a 1992 camaro and then a mustang before the cobalt LS then SS.

But in 3 more years, people are going to be expecting more then what was offered 5 years ago when even the cheapest newer cars interiors put ours to shame.

The only people who would be interested would be for performance only..and that wouldn't be enough to keep the cars value. I wouldn't consier RPD, SS Sears, No-lift shifts or Launch control real biggies when you can get these for just a few hundred bucks (sears being a little more..but again..if your not talking about interior..then seats wouldn't be a huge deal).
Old 08-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Banned

Compare an Mazda Rx-8 to a Cobalt SS Turbo! ok the Mazda has a wicked interior but the price of them are retarded and they are not even that good of a car. I like them i truly do but it makes me smile knowing that my Cobalt SS Turbo could go toe to toe with one and win......o and for a lot less I migt piont out
Old 08-21-2010, 06:31 PM

dude I can ALMOST hang with a bike and my car is almost stock I love the turbalt!
Old 08-21-2010, 06:40 PM
Banned

Me too!!!! i love my Cobalt SS Turbo. I mean i find it hilarious when GTI and MS3 guys give me this funny look when i drive by......they've heard so much about the Cobalt SS Turbo and how good it is I think they are curious to see how they stack up to the cobalt SS Turbo
Old 08-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Banned

My first car was an 85 SE with GT suspension, that car handled with the best of the top end sports cars of the day and although mine was def not a dragster by any means it would pull 130 mph and got 30 mpg if driven nicely. There are a ton of similarities between the two cars however I fully think that the turbo ss will never last long enough to have the following or crazy shenanigans that the fiero crowd has acheived honestly once these puppies are out of warranty there gonna be built boosted and busted Im claiming there more likely gonna end up like the plymouth fire arrow which was actually a pretty good little car but you sure dont see many of them around do ya?

I love the pics of the fiero brings back a huge smile and some good memories of my first days behind the wheel best one was taking an off ramp at 90 mph behind a ferrari that guy did the best double take ever he could not beleive that a fiero was able to hang with him in the corners, one of my to do cars is a fiero with a countach kit on it and a northstar v8 some day soon I am going to make that a reality!!

Last edited by Turb09; 08-21-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:04 PM

I had a Porsche 944 Turbo and they only made that for around 4 yrs. It was a fantastic car and I tracked it quite a bit. My Cobalt SS/TC compares very favorably to the 944T performance wise and sold for almost HALF (in terms of 1986$$). This is one hell of a car, even if you DON'T consider what a great value it was. Yes, this car will endure in the hearts and minds of many hard core enthusiasts because people like myself will hold on to this GEM for a long time to come.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Banned

the Cobalt SS Turbo, whether people like to admit it or not, is already a future collector car. Ive owned my Cobalt SS Turbo for 8 months now and ive only seen 3 oters on the road. That says a lot!!! like I said in one of my other threads......The Cobalt SS Turbo will become the next Eagle Talon!!!!! they are too cheap and too fast at the same time. Once they drop in price to the point that anyone could afford one( like a wide eyed teenager) they all all to neglect just like the talon. Since the Cobalt SS Turbo was only made for 2 and a half years their wont be many surviving in stock shape. They will be hack and modded to the point of destruction......

So heed my advice to you all........

take care of your Cobalt SS Turbo.....no tasteless mods and keep up on the basic maintenance and for ***** sake RUST PROOF THE ******* THING EVERY YEAR!!!!

I know that 10 or 15 years from now when I still have my in perfect condition Ill be able to enjoy it and let it take me back to my younger care free days of my twenties!
Old 08-21-2010, 11:24 PM

i doubt anyone will try to go awd.. but i though yester day a cobalt with a 3800 s/c would b tight
Old 08-21-2010, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by hydroturboss
the Cobalt SS Turbo, whether people like to admit it or not, is already a future collector car. Ive owned my Cobalt SS Turbo for 8 months now and ive only seen 3 oters on the road. That says a lot!!! like I said in one of my other threads......The Cobalt SS Turbo will become the next Eagle Talon!!!!! they are too cheap and too fast at the same time. Once they drop in price to the point that anyone could afford one( like a wide eyed teenager) they all all to neglect just like the talon. Since the Cobalt SS Turbo was only made for 2 and a half years their wont be many surviving in stock shape. They will be hack and modded to the point of destruction......

So heed my advice to you all........

take care of your Cobalt SS Turbo.....no tasteless mods and keep up on the basic maintenance and for ***** sake RUST PROOF THE ******* THING EVERY YEAR!!!!

I know that 10 or 15 years from now when I still have my in perfect condition Ill be able to enjoy it and let it take me back to my younger care free days of my twenties!
I've never seen another Turbo SS. Seen a few Sc's though.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:56 PM

I was one of the people during the developing stages who said that for GM to truly do the SS/TC correctly they should make it AWD. I don't really forsee many people ever converting it to AWD simply because it would be too expensive and difficult for the average person. IMO, if they would have priced the cobalt at $27,000-$29,000...maybe even $30,000 and thrown in AWD it would have done better. At that price it is going to be more competitive with the EVO and STi while still being cheaper than both of them. At that point they would probably have to do like the EVO and STi and have three models to have the price be justified. It would need to be the base LS/LT's, SS, then like SS/AWD or something haha.

With the above said, the SS is a good value for what you get if you're going after all out performance (from a FWD). It all just depends on what your looking for though. For example, someone mentioned GTI's earlier. Compare a 2010 GTI to a 2010 SS/TC. The GTI interior is way nicer than the SS's, but the Cobalt will walk all over the GTI performance wise. Different strokes for different folks.

Well now that I've written a book I'll end with this. No, I personally don't think the SS/TC will end up being a collector car simply because it is just an econobox with a nice engine. Cars such as the EVO VIII are starting to go through the same thing you said about the price coming down. That car is now 5-7 years old and are getting cheaper for more people to own. I doubt that car will end up being a collector and it has more of a following than the cobalts do. Only time will tell though.

I don't mean to sound anti-cobalt or anything as I have had mine for over 4 years and still enjoy it. These are just my thoughts on your thread. I feel the SS/TC will be more like a DSM.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:39 AM

I've been in this rodeo, and it can be wild. I remember one of my parents friends that had a newspaper from 1973 and in it was a Corvette (427 car) selling used for $1200. That car today is worth $70-$100k.

Myself I had a 69' Chevelle SS that I bought in 90" for $7700 and sold it in 93' for $8800 (but had $16k in receipts) I saw that exact car many times after I sold it and have talked to 3 of it's owners since. Two years ago I saw it pop up on Craigslist for $30K and I went to look at it and it was in far worse shape than when I had it.

Grand Nationals sold for $16k or so new, and I've never seen them drop below $6K but the norm is around 8-10K

The Monte SS (as much as my dad would like to think it will) I don't think it will be as collectible as any of the others (due to the engine) yet I see the prices starting to come back up.

My take on the Cobalt SS/TC is that yes it might go down for a few years, but the "NICE" ones will come back in value. My reasoning for thinking this way is

It's a turbo car that puts out 260hp stock and gets 30mpg. This car is faster than a lot of those 60's cars and is a dark horse. (looked up times before I bought the SS)

Very limited production and a few of those have made it to the junk yard already.

This car without all wheel drive already handles better than most. Making it AWD might make it slower.

YES, it is a "Cobalt" I just love when people say they rented one and it's a nice car. I tell them it's not the same thing and I get "yes it is, it's a cobalt" This is why I think GM needs to adapt a code for SS's I mean do people say to a STI owner "I rented an Impreza, it's a nice car"

Yes it's a FWD car, and had GM made it AWD that would have put the price up there with the STI and EVO and what would you buy then????? NOT the GM car I bet. The only reasons I bought the SS/TC was because of the price, performance, I hate 4 door cars, and because the SS is more then just a badge on this car, and truly deserving of the SS nameplate in my books.

Son of a.......I think I need to go hug my car or something
Old 08-22-2010, 01:00 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or it could even become the new this
Old 08-22-2010, 01:03 AM

You know you can read the first 2 lines of the OP when you hover the mouse over the thread title.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by demento

Or it could even become the new this
Chances are...
Old 08-22-2010, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Boxing Fan
I've never seen another Turbo SS. Seen a few Sc's though.
I've seen ONE SS/TC on the road over the last two years (here in Ca)...when I first became *aware* of them and that was almost two years ago. Haven't seen one since.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:15 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been seeing less Cobalts on the road also
Old 08-22-2010, 07:34 AM

I don't get why GM didn't take things a bit further with this set-up (because they're broke?) but I kinda like the "oh nice Cobalt, yours just looks different then others I've seen."

Quick Reply: The Cobalt SS Turbo will become the next Pontiac Fiero!!!!!