08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

E85 vs 93 octane, mod for mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E85 vs 93 octane, mod for mod

So I know this guy that lives here in my area through friends. We finally met up cuz he wanted to buy some taillights off me. We have almost the exact same mods just different brands, CAI, DP, CP, and HP Tune. Except he's tuned for half e85 and half 91, whereas im tuned for 93 octane and running about 23 psi. Afterwards we decided to do a couple of runs. We did a 20 mph and 2 30 mph rolls. The 1st 20 mph run was close but I misshifted into 4 but until that point we were about even and he was starting to pull. The two 30 mph pulls afterwards i was shifting perfect and he was NLS all the way through and both times he had me by a full car. DAMN!!! makes me want to tune for e85 cuz you can tell it makes a huge difference! but my zzp intercooler, that I got half price during their black friday sale, should be coming in soon so im thinking retune for it and it should be even. hahahaha. what does the Cobalt ss nation, think?
Old 12-07-2010, 02:11 AM
Banned

really? no replies?

early morning bump
Old 12-07-2010, 03:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No reply.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:10 AM

Too soon junior.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:38 AM

Terminator or BYT would know better than anyone. The E mix gives you more timing, alot more timing. Which gives you more power because of the added amount of fuel you are using. The ethanol has an oxygen molecule attached to it. This allows you to run more fuel as well. The added fuel allows for more burn and more heat expansion and thusly gives you more power. You can also run more boost. If I am mistaken let me know. But for a preliminary answer... there you go.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 50/50 E blend is good for another 20-30 hp depending on mods. I went back to 93 troubleshooting an issue but I'm back on the corn today. I missed the powa!
Old 12-07-2010, 11:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RyRidesMotox
Terminator or BYT would know better than anyone. The E mix gives you more timing, alot more timing. Which gives you more power because of the added amount of fuel you are using. The ethanol has an oxygen molecule attached to it. This allows you to run more fuel as well. The added fuel allows for more burn and more heat expansion and thusly gives you more power. You can also run more boost. If I am mistaken let me know. But for a preliminary answer... there you go.
This right here. A ton more timing can run with E-47 in the car which results in more torque and more hp. 20-30 whp seems to be the normal gains on E-47 vs 93 octane. Gains could be as much as 35 whp vs 91 octane.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Terminator2
This right here. A ton more timing can run with E-47 in the car which results in more torque and more hp. 20-30 whp seems to be the normal gains on E-47 vs 93 octane. Gains could be as much as 35 whp vs 91 octane.

Pretty good info guys! I appreciate it. I had been interested in switching or combining e85 but there only 1 station near by and it's not even in the same city! hahahaha. So stuff like that is what's been keeping me from running e85.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:01 PM

Damn 91 octane bullshit gas.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:42 PM

Damn 91 octane bullshit gas.
You already know the solution.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:31 PM

I need a station to carry E85 that isn't 20 miles away or sells it at $0.40 more than premium fuel.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:02 PM

I need a station to carry E85 that isn't 20 miles away or sells it at $0.40 more than premium fuel.
Hopefully the one near you will lower their prices but IMHO an extra $2.50 for 6 gallons of E-85 each tank is worth it. If you fill up once a week that is an extra ~120 a year which is not much really for an extra 30 whp or so.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Banned

^^^ good point.

but it would be hard to go on a road trip with that kind of set up, planning out e85 stations and stuff...and is it me or have you guys heard that it's also a very nasty fuel that could wear on our engine and nearly cut our mpg in half!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:11 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Yeah i'm looking at the map and it looks like it would hard for you to travel west. If you live in the middle states it's probably a lot easier. I can travel in all direction for 500 miles without a problem.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Banned

^^^ must be nice! hahahaha
Old 12-07-2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by dncalvillo2
^^^ good point.

but it would be hard to go on a road trip with that kind of set up, planning out e85 stations and stuff...and is it me or have you guys heard that it's also a very nasty fuel that could wear on our engine and nearly cut our mpg in half!
Yeah a road trip would pose some problems if E-85 is not avalable along the way. If someone owns HP tuners though they can just switch from E-85 to gas at will just by reflashing the car.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:39 PM

I would go 50/50 as well, but as my buddy David said.... There's only 1 station that offers e85 within our location. It would suck for the long trips... And I travel to Houston at least 6 times a year to visit family. I'll stick with meth
Old 12-10-2010, 11:27 PM
RBC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Is anyone running straight e-85 or does this cause to many problems?
Old 12-11-2010, 02:56 AM
Banned

hahahaha! dang where did this guy come from! jk. nice sig bro! yea meth it is...but you need to start modding now! hahahaha

Originally Posted by MS3 2 SSTC
I would go 50/50 as well, but as my buddy David said.... There's only 1 station that offers e85 within our location. It would suck for the long trips... And I travel to Houston at least 6 times a year to visit family. I'll stick with meth
Old 12-11-2010, 03:12 AM

Hopefully the one near you will lower their prices but IMHO an extra $2.50 for 6 gallons of E-85 each tank is worth it. If you fill up once a week that is an extra ~120 a year which is not much really for an extra 30 whp or so.
Yea but I fill up twice a week. I have a 40 mile commute each way to work. thats 80 miles+ a day. And that is the only station withing ilke 50 miles that carries it, or thats what it seems like. If more stations start carrying it I am going to get a E tune from you Term for sure.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As mentioned the ethanol has a greater effective octane rating as it burns cooler and is less susceptible to knock. It also has less energy content per gallon than gasoline so you have to run a greater volume of it. If an engine is knock limited in power production (meaning you're limited by knock before reaching MBT (minimum timing for best torque)) then it can be a great choice in a car that is designed to run it as the E85 is much less expensive than high-octane race gasoline.

What I'd be concerned about on the LNF is the long-term affect of running a heavy mix of E85 since the car wasn't rated by GM to run over 10% ethanol (E10). This may be due to emission reasons, engine management limitations for effective detection of knock/which fuel is being run or so on, but it may well also be due to mechanical reasons. The new direct injected LHU variant of the turbo Ecotec in the Regal and other GM Europe vehicles is rated for being able to run E85 but I'd personally want to know if the Bosch high-pressure mechanical fuel pump had to be altered or changed, if there are any differences in the lifter pump at the tank, injectors, etc. that were upgraded to make this possible when compared to the LNF.

That's just my conservative nature and looking at long-term reliability. With the correct tune/calibration it will definitely make more power and there has been some nice examples of this so far but you'd want to understand the potential risks and problems that could develop down the road. If you're okay with those and have a source close by then go for it.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by blackbird
then it can be a great choice in a car that is designed to run it as the E85 is much less expensive than high-octane race gasoline.
Not near my house. By the way, I just saw that you live in Temecula, check your pm in a minute.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently got tuned for E-47it is absolutely crazy. I get wheelspin in 3rd gear now and it spins to 80 in 2nd. I picked up almost a full sencond from my previous pump gas tune.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by dncalvillo2
hahahaha! dang where did this guy come from! jk. nice sig bro! yea meth it is...but you need to start modding now! hahahaha
soon man.... soon.... once i get myself out of this debt i got into ill start modding.

PS - thanks for the compliment on the sig... took me 2 hrs to get it right... Im such a noob!!
Old 12-11-2010, 02:07 PM

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by blackbird
As mentioned the ethanol has a greater effective octane rating as it burns cooler and is less susceptible to knock. It also has less energy content per gallon than gasoline so you have to run a greater volume of it. If an engine is knock limited in power production (meaning you're limited by knock before reaching MBT (minimum timing for best torque)) then it can be a great choice in a car that is designed to run it as the E85 is much less expensive than high-octane race gasoline.

What I'd be concerned about on the LNF is the long-term affect of running a heavy mix of E85 since the car wasn't rated by GM to run over 10% ethanol (E10). This may be due to emission reasons, engine management limitations for effective detection of knock/which fuel is being run or so on, but it may well also be due to mechanical reasons. The new direct injected LHU variant of the turbo Ecotec in the Regal and other GM Europe vehicles is rated for being able to run E85 but I'd personally want to know if the Bosch high-pressure mechanical fuel pump had to be altered or changed, if there are any differences in the lifter pump at the tank, injectors, etc. that were upgraded to make this possible when compared to the LNF.

That's just my conservative nature and looking at long-term reliability. With the correct tune/calibration it will definitely make more power and there has been some nice examples of this so far but you'd want to understand the potential risks and problems that could develop down the road. If you're okay with those and have a source close by then go for it.
YouTube - E85 Ethanol Does not harm Non-FlexFueled Engines

"There are many Myth's floating around about Ethanol not being good for an engine. These are primarily from people who own oil companies and do not like to see profits decline. One thing to remember is that the petroleum industry is the largest money making industry on the planet! Take some of the Trillions of dollars away from the oil companies and rumors start to fly!!!"

Quick Reply: E85 vs 93 octane, mod for mod