08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

HID /Retrofit quesitons

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HID /Retrofit quesitons

Hi guys, Mods sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this. I just picked up a 09 SS Sedan and it is has retrofit HID projectors. Looks like they may have come from Mkulrey13, I'll get some pics up later so yall can confirm. The driver side light does not turn on. I think the ballast may be bad I plan on switching the passanger side over to see if thats the issue but I've been traveling so much for work I havent had time to mess with it. My question is the one light that works is "always on". The factory controls in the car do not affect it. I cannot turn it off and on, the "auto" feature doesnt seem to be working either. The one light that works (passenger side) is always on and sometimes even it doesnt turn on when I start the car. It intermittently works. It does have a harness hooked into the factory headlight wiring. My question is, is the "always on" setup how its supposed to function with retrofits? or was it just hooked up that way? I'd like to be able to control the lights, ie turn them on and off when I deem necessary, or turn it to "Auto" and have the computer turn them on and off as it deems necessary. The fog lights work as they should.
Thanks I hope this wasn't too much of a muddled query.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 212 Likes on 171 Posts
Its been so long since ive been out of the cobalt game i cant remember enough anymore to help. But Mkulreys stuff was garbage at best. Biggest hack this site has ever seen. PM riceburner on here. He makes retrofits and is a fellow moderator here. He should be able to help you out.
The following users liked this post:
riceburner (01-16-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 05:00 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
You going to have to start with what harness is in car and go from there and if the car had been hacked up
Old 01-15-2017, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So with a proper install I'd be able to control the lights as if it were a factory setup?
Thanks 07Metallic I'll definitely do that
Old 01-15-2017, 07:30 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Yes but I had to switch a wire on harness side for hi/low beams with my retrofit headlights
Old 01-16-2017, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
sounds like a wierd wiring setup to me.

best place to start is posting some pics of the harness & ballasts; you really should ideally have full control over when your hid's are on and off.

i would look into a 9004/9007 harness from theretrofitsource.com (~35 bucks) and some new ballasts if you do find that one of yours is jacked after swapping them side to side.

thanks for the props guys above.