08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

How many people's steering column situation totally blows nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do we really know she actually works for chevy...
Old 08-17-2011, 10:25 AM

Mine rattles, and has had the steering column replaced once, and the motor replaced under recall. Some of the clunking in my car was due to the wasted CABs (I would check those out if you haven't yet, they cause all kinds of shaking issues). The column shouldn't cause vibration at speed, that is going to be another issue. Even if there was an inch of play in the steering (ever drive a big truck?), that SHOULDN'T cause a vibration, I would bet unbalanced tires. FWIW, my junk MSR wheels came out of round brand new, and no matter how many times I have balanced them (they took a ton of weight), I still get shakes between 60-70. My stock SS/TC wheels don't shake with Hoosiers mounted even though I didn't even bother to balance them.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Banned

mine vibrates a little when starting out but I attribute that to my spec flywheel and my warped rotors! lol
Old 08-17-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by steven2008ss
How do we really know she actually works for chevy...
I can understand your concern, but I can assure you that I am a legitimate member of the GM Social Media team. As a member of this team, we are not able to provide technical assistance but we are able to help in terms of customer assistance. This would include interacting with the customer in hopes that we can reach some kind of resolution together. We are able to get in touch with Customer Assistance as well as work with the dealerships in regards to issues. We are also able to look into information by VIN such as recalls, warranty, and build specifications. In some cases, we are able to get in touch with our technical contacts for more assistance, but this is on a more case by case basis with things such as locating a part on the vehicle. As we are not mechanics ourselves, we try to avoid telling someone how to fix their vehicle. If any of you have any further concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
Laura
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-17-2011, 06:06 PM

why does your name change from Tricia to Laura....
Old 08-17-2011, 08:51 PM

My car has been into the dealer 3 times for suspension noise in the past month.

First time they replaced both struts, bumpers, and both sway bar end links.

I drove home with a suspension rattle. Went in the next week, they replaced the steering I shaft and foamed between the fuse box and ecm. Drove solid on the way home but i had a rattle again by the time i got home 20miles away.

They ordered a steering column which they haven't called me telling me it's in yet. In fact they didn't even call me to tell me my car was done last time i called after 8 hours and they said it was done. I will be calling again tomorrow.

My steering wheel has a twitch in it when driving at speed and going straight. it will twitch back and forth but the car has no vibration and tracks straight. I'm assuming that's why they ordered a steering column.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by steven2008ss
why does your name change from Tricia to Laura....
Tricia is a colleague of mine. If I’m out of the office she’ll take over for the day.

Thanks,
Laura
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-22-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by scannerman
My car has been into the dealer 3 times for suspension noise in the past month.

First time they replaced both struts, bumpers, and both sway bar end links.

I drove home with a suspension rattle. Went in the next week, they replaced the steering I shaft and foamed between the fuse box and ecm. Drove solid on the way home but i had a rattle again by the time i got home 20miles away.

They ordered a steering column which they haven't called me telling me it's in yet. In fact they didn't even call me to tell me my car was done last time i called after 8 hours and they said it was done. I will be calling again tomorrow.

My steering wheel has a twitch in it when driving at speed and going straight. it will twitch back and forth but the car has no vibration and tracks straight. I'm assuming that's why they ordered a steering column.
What did your dealership have to say about what’s going on with your Cobalt?

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Old 08-22-2011, 09:57 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Cust Svc
What did your dealership have to say about what’s going on with your Cobalt?

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
007G5GT - let me get that for you

Originally Posted by 007G5GT
Dealer #3 replaced both the column (#3) and the I-shaft again (#3). Those parts did worse than the ones they replaced. It rattled and shook WORSE when I got it back than when I brought it in. Dealer #3 also went with the "Our tech test drove another Cobalt we have in the back lot and said it did the same thing, it's normal and completely safe." I don't care if it's safe...it sucks to drive. It feels like a POS. My beater '95 C1500 pickup with 250K miles doesn't rattle like this....
Old 08-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Premium Member

My SS/SC had an intermediate shaft replaced when i owned it . Now just recently my SS/TC has an audible clunk when hitting rougher parts in the road ..... sounds like the steering shaft is rattling .