08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Im torn between two

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im torn between two

Hello all. Ive been lurking around for a while now trying to read up on everything that i could and im interestead in becomming a new owner of a cobalt ss/tc. I think the car looks pretty good, has the power to back it up and also has a huge following. But ive heard some negative things about the cobalt ss/tc. Ive heard that the motor just cant handle a large amount of boost and upgrades, ive also heard that the tranny is a weak link and also cannot handle the amount of power past a few decent mods. I do like however the fact that this nice looking 4cyl is htting times of some/most typical v8s. Im somewhere torn between the new cobalt ss and the csrt4. WHat does everyone think of there new cobalt ss/tc's , loves hates, i just want to get a good understanding and following on why i should choose this car over another. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where did you hear all this BS from?

Weak trans...nope

Engine can't handle mods...nope.

Get some better sources...
Old 07-21-2008, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by KayWhy
Hello all. Ive been lurking around for a while now trying to read up on everything that i could and im interestead in becomming a new owner of a cobalt ss/tc. I think the car looks pretty good, has the power to back it up and also has a huge following. But ive heard some negative things about the cobalt ss/tc. Ive heard that the motor just cant handle a large amount of boost and upgrades, ive also heard that the tranny is a weak link and also cannot handle the amount of power past a few decent mods. I do like however the fact that this nice looking 4cyl is htting times of some/most typical v8s. Im somewhere torn between the new cobalt ss and the csrt4. WHat does everyone think of there new cobalt ss/tc's , loves hates, i just want to get a good understanding and following on why i should choose this car over another. Thanks.
Wrong wrong all wrong where did you hear this from?
Old 07-21-2008, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rissa
Wrong wrong all wrong where did you hear this from?
LOL where do you think i would hear something like that from? their forums. Im not a huge fan of the ticking though lol. Idk tell me some more about the ss/tc im really interestead in both cars and believe ive narrowed it down just between the two
Old 07-21-2008, 09:32 PM

LOL where do you think i would hear something like that from? their forums. Im not a huge fan of the ticking though lol. Idk tell me some more about the ss/tc im really interestead in both cars and believe ive narrowed it down just between the two
Look at what Hahn did to their cobalt, granted it's not much so far but it yielded some very good results, just imagine what the car could do once more stuff starts coming out. And the transmission is definitely not a weak link. I don't know too much about the CSRT-4 but man that thing is fugly. What all do you want to know about the ss/tc?
Old 07-21-2008, 09:33 PM

Buy an EVO...
Old 07-21-2008, 11:11 PM

The ticking really isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I can barely hear it sitting at stop lights with the windows down and radio off.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:17 AM

If you dont want a cobalt ss the clear car to buy is a mazdaspeed 3. end of story

By the way the ss/tc is more bang for the buck and has to be more reliable than the ms3
Old 07-22-2008, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Coco Balt
If you dont want a cobalt ss the clear car to buy is a mazdaspeed 3. end of story

By the way the ss/tc is more bang for the buck and has to be more reliable than the ms3

The SS has a better warranty...
Old 07-22-2008, 09:06 PM

Just because it's made in the states? It must have better reliability?

The MS3 so far has been a rock solid car. The only people who have problems with them are those that overboost the stock ECU.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:57 PM

well i smoked a MS3 in my SS/TC so that makes the SS/TC a better bang for the buck for me
Old 07-22-2008, 11:03 PM

i highly doubt you SMOKED one...
Old 07-22-2008, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by restonSS
i highly doubt you SMOKED one...
x2

you may have beat an MS3 by a car but those things are fast stock.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:05 PM

i absolutely love mine...(buy the cobalt)....you should only get what you want...(buy the cobalt)...not what everyone else wants...(buy the cobalt)...
Old 07-22-2008, 11:13 PM

Just because it's made in the states? It must have better reliability?

The MS3 so far has been a rock solid car. The only people who have problems with them are those that overboost the stock ECU.
Trust me i know jap cars are more reliable, i own 2 imprezas. the ms3 has had several problems such as brake failure and boost issues in stock form
Old 07-23-2008, 03:38 PM

i love my ss t/c
Old 07-23-2008, 03:55 PM

Think of it this way..........far as I've seen/heard, the SS/TC Cobalt is cheeper priced and is more than definately on par with the M3S and the CSRT4. It all depends what your looking for in a car, the SS/TC Cobalt likely has a better suspension than either M3S or CSRT4 because neither of those companies took their cars to suspension testing at the Nurburgring(my humble opinion, haven't heard otherwise so far). Even if they did, apparently the Cobalt SS/TC topped them. BUT, again, this is what YOU WANT, not wat the masses want you to buy. IMO, u got kids or planning to have kids real soon i'd keep the 4dr Cobalt SS/TC Sedan in mind.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the ticking signals that your motor is ready to destroy all.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by ls1fbody
the ticking signals that your motor is ready to destroy all.
2x to that!!
Old 07-23-2008, 05:19 PM

ss/tc, u wont be dissapointed. its fast stock but stage 2s stasy with it too. sthe car will be as monster when mods are available so go with it
Old 07-23-2008, 05:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For reference, if you know what you're doing and don't shift like a *******; I have one of a couple cars I know of with 300+ whp on stock internals AND clutch. 45kmi on my car, 20k miles with a 2.6 pulley and now 6k with the Harrop TVS.

These cars can handle a good bit of power with stock tranny/clutch/engine if tuend and driven right

The ticking is part of the Direct Injection system.

Last edited by WickedSS2005; 07-23-2008 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-23-2008, 06:15 PM

The tranny can handle a bunch. Simple mods are going to be it until someone cracks the ECU. That sould be soon.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:22 PM

People are going to throw tons of BS at you on this forum. For the most part its a good place to have some fun and find out info from the peeps on know how to work on cars. The truth is, if your looking for well over 300+wheel horses you will find weak links in the cobalt SS/SC supercharged. If you can keep it to all GM performance parts and upgrade to a better clutch/flywheel you can run low 13s all day long. I'm living proof of that and there are a few others who have done it as well. Your driving skills have alot to do with weak links in this car also. Bottom line is for the price you will pay, the cobalt ss/sc > then csrt-4. In the long run a C-SRT-4 will cost you much more then a SS/SC and doesn't look as nice either. But a C-SRT-4 will out perform a SS/SC any day when it comes to mod for mod. They have alot of SRT-4s in the 10s and street legal.

Long story short, the Cobalt SS/SC is a great all around performance car. Can't beat the price for a used sports performance car.

I have one for sale, check it out in my sig. below. Hope that helps you.

Edit Post: By the way, most people who break trannies have solid mounts, slicks or Drag Radials and don't know how to drive. I personally would stay away from solid mounts because a little bit of play is better then breaking for a extra tenth of a second.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:41 PM

Trust me i know jap cars are more reliable, i own 2 imprezas. the ms3 has had several problems such as brake failure and boost issues in stock form
i own a MS3 ive never heard of brake failure or boost issues. the stuff i have heard is the 07 had bad turbo seals and the rear motor mount can break under hard launches.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nismothecat
i own a MS3 ive never heard of brake failure or boost issues. the stuff i have heard is the 07 had bad turbo seals and the rear motor mount can break under hard launches.
it's a straight-up car, which is something that can be hard to find these days. The power/performance/handling/amenities all complement the car alot, the basic look of it is just plain personality, if u like hatch cars then the MS3 is for you. If you like Sedans, maybe the new SS/TC sedan will peak your interest, and if u like coupes than DEFINATELY an SS/TC coupe will make you happy.

Quick Reply: Im torn between two