08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Just did my service and...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just did my service and...

My rear inner pads are at 3 mm ... So I know this is a common problem
but does replacing parts fix the problem? I only have 12.5k miles. Should I say something at the dealership? If I did what could their possible responses be ? I just don't want to dump money on something if they wear in another 12 k. Not opposed to going after market . But if dealer has a fix or will do something I'd rather not spend =)
Lemme know what you think
Old 05-12-2011, 12:42 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
"You are past our 12k mile limited warranty on the brakes. We will resurface the rotors and put new horseshit pads on it for $1300"
Old 05-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You have to lube the caliper slider pins at least twice a year. Maybe three times - if you DD in the winter.

I just lubed mine @ 10 Kms. The pins were dry as a bone. I also did the front Brembo pins (also dry). Surprise. Surprise. No more brake squeal from the fronts.

My dealer said the rear brake wear was normal. I said the pins are dry and that’s what is causing the wear. He said they inspected them and they were lubed. BS.

So I did it myself. Super easy. Takes about 2 hours start to finish.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:05 PM

Are factory pads updated or should I just go aftermarket?
And basically it's just the piston not retracting and lubing would help that.
Rotors dont look to bad I'll have to measure to see if I should cut them .
Aftermarket pads bad for factory rotors?
Old 05-12-2011, 02:07 PM

Mine were squealing and were in a similar condition as yours at around 6k. After they resurfaced my rear rotors, my e-brake wouldn't fully engage. I found this out when I came out to my car under my fiance's truck while I was parked on a hill. They ended up replacing my entire rear brake assembly,rotors, brakes, calipers, etc under warranty & gave me a GM Customer Service Plan where my oil changes, tire rotations, and basic maintenance is free(some stipulations). I haven't had scoring since, my ebrake works perfect, and I'm at 24k right now. Definitely check to see if the free option is available. I plan on buying Hawk pads for front and rears in the future (less dust + noise)

Originally Posted by DirtyBalt09
but does replacing parts fix the problem? I only have 12.5k miles. Should I say something at the dealership? If I did what could their possible responses be ? I just don't want to dump money on something if they wear in another 12 k. Not opposed to going after market . But if dealer has a fix or will do something I'd rather not spend =)
Old 05-13-2011, 02:55 PM

I’m sorry to hear about the concerns you’re having with your brake pads. I would suggest at least speaking with your dealership to see what options they have for you. Good luck!

Thanks,
Laura
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 05-13-2011, 03:06 PM

GM Customer Service is on here? uhhhhh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 05-13-2011, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've never had the brake issue but then again i don't have factory rotors on my car either, but i have heard if you grease the pins the noise stops
Old 05-13-2011, 03:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by themacguy
You have to lube the caliper slider pins at least twice a year. Maybe three times - if you DD in the winter.

I just lubed mine @ 10 Kms. The pins were dry as a bone. I also did the front Brembo pins (also dry). Surprise. Surprise. No more brake squeal from the fronts.

My dealer said the rear brake wear was normal. I said the pins are dry and that’s what is causing the wear. He said they inspected them and they were lubed. BS.

So I did it myself. Super easy. Takes about 2 hours start to finish.
Mine stick every month. I lube them 10-12 times a year. GM needed to seal the slide pins with a rubber sleeve like most manufacturers do.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:17 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Cust Svc
I’m sorry to hear about the concerns you’re having with your brake pads. I would suggest at least speaking with your dealership to see what options they have for you. Good luck!

Thanks,
Laura
This looks fake. If it isn't, i'm not sure this is the place to try covering your customer service issues.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:04 PM

I'm not so much worried about noise more so that my next set of brakes isn't gone on 12k miles.
I have to take my vehicle to the dealership for a new radio amp when it comes in . I'll mention it then but since I change my own oil I'd be interested to see how willing the dealer would be willing to help me. Most don't seem willing to help unless you spend alot with them.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:14 PM

I had rear brake grinding at 20k. Pulled the pads to find one side perfectly evenly worn (with ~25% material left on each pad), and other side with one pad around 50% and one completely gone. Due to the grossly uneven wear, which as noted above is caused by insufficiently lubricated slide pins, my dealer lubed everything up and threw another set of pads on under warranty. I'm approaching 40k and so far they still look great. Still sporting original front pads as well.

Not a guarantee that your dealer will do the same, *but* you certainly have grounds to argue. Pads aren't covered under warranty, but a defective or malfunctioning caliper should be. Argue that angle if nothing else.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by AndrewSS/TC
hide your sig's, GM looking......
Old 05-14-2011, 01:58 AM

I have concluded this isn't a slide pin lube problem but an inherent defect (improper application if you will) of the original rear pads. There are other cars with the same calipers as ours that don't have this problem. I have a PIC of a Volvo caliper (same as ours) being serviced for new pads and the caliper pins are NOT LUBED EITHER! They don't have this problem since they use different pads.
Volvo Caliper (Identical to ours) NO LUBE on pins either!

Our pads chunk up and score the rotor. They also contaminate the INNER slide pins with crap. Replace the pads with CERAMICS and replace the rotors. I replaced rotors and pads for $150 (parts). Don't bother with the dealer on this..they'll just jerk you around...maybe turn the rotors and (worst of all) possibly use the same pads again. DO THIS YOURSELF! I did. Problem solved.

Last edited by ronn; 05-14-2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:32 AM

My rotors don't look to chewed up yet. I was thinking about turning them. I'll have to remove them and measure to make sure I can. As far as replacement parts what kinda options I have? I was thinking Hawk Hps and some new factory rotors or turned rotors .
I'll lube up the pins as well but there are a few types of brake lube available to me what is recommended?
Thanks for all the responses so far .

Also is the factory pad updated in any way? Sometimes updated parts solve problems like this.

Last edited by DirtyBalt09; 05-14-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:27 PM

My rotors don't look to chewed up yet. I was thinking about turning them. I'll have to remove them and measure to make sure I can. As far as replacement parts what kinda options I have? I was thinking Hawk Hps and some new factory rotors or turned rotors .
I'll lube up the pins as well but there are a few types of brake lube available to me what is recommended?
Thanks for all the responses so far .

Also is the factory pad updated in any way? Sometimes updated parts solve problems like this.
Don't bother turning em. You can get Centric Premium rotors at Rockauto for around $100 pair shipped. Hawks are fine. I got Wagner Ceramic Thermoquiets from Rock auto Q1095A. Work perfectly..no dust and dead quiet. They are listed as SAAB pads..not under Caobalt but Saab has same set up as ours. They fit perfectly. In fact some GM dealers have switched to those for this fix.

Here are pads:

Wagner Q1095A

Centric Premium Rotor PN is 12062117 for rears. These a plain and coated. Very nice.
Here it is at tire rack. Rockauto is cheaper though.

Centric Premium Rotor

Last edited by ronn; 05-14-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ronn
Don't bother turning em. You can get Centric Premium rotors at Rockauto for around $100 pair shipped. Hawks are fine. I got Wagner Ceramic Thermoquiets from Rock auto Q1095A. Work perfectly..no dust and dead quiet. They are listed as SAAB pads..not under Caobalt but Saab has same set up as ours. They fit perfectly. In fact some GM dealers have switched to those for this fix.

Here are pads:

Wagner Q1095A

Centric Premium Rotor PN is 12062117 for rears. These a plain and coated. Very nice.
Here it is at tire rack. Rockauto is cheaper though.

Centric Premium Rotor

I have the SAAB pads and I still have to constantly clean a regrease my slides. I just did them about a month ago and they are starting to stick a little already.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by AndrewSS/TC
Yes I am, and I will be here to answer any questions you have!

Thanks,
Laura
Old 05-16-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
This looks fake. If it isn't, i'm not sure this is the place to try covering your customer service issues.
I am a legitimate customer service representative for GM. I’m here to address any questions or concerns you have so please feel free to PM me if you need anything.

Thanks,
Laura
Old 05-16-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Cust Svc
I am a legitimate customer service representative for GM. I’m here to address any questions or concerns you have so please feel free to PM me if you need anything.

Thanks,
Laura
Dear Laura,

Please post pictures of yourself, preferably topless or please leave this site.

Thanks

GM lifetime Customer
Anti-troll committee

P.S. Laura, I'm kidding, but seriously.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:33 PM

Dear Laura,

Please post pictures of yourself, preferably topless or please leave this site.

Thanks

GM lifetime Customer
Anti-troll committee

P.S. Laura, I'm kidding, but seriously.
That's really so disrespectful if she is who she says she is.....
Old 05-16-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by sponge14
Agreed, and thank you!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by sponge14
You must understand something. As much as we appreciate that she/he/it is here, this isn't the proper place for customer service. This type of thing needs to be handled through a dealership or phone.

I'm messing around because I assume it's fake. I don't think GM would ever let a customer service rep on here. There are some liability issues here that she shouldn't be putting herself into.

Plus, we don't want GM spying on us. Last thing GM wants is a PR nightmare about them trolling on the internet for kids with exhausts.

Capiche?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You must understand something. As much as we appreciate that she/he/it is here, this isn't the proper place for customer service. This type of thing needs to be handled through a dealership or phone.

I'm messing around because I assume it's fake. I don't think GM would ever let a customer service rep on here. There are some liability issues here that she shouldn't be putting herself into.

Plus, we don't want GM spying on us. Last thing GM wants is a PR nightmare about them trolling on the internet for kids with exhausts.

Capiche?
Bitch when they show interest in fixing issues. Bitch when they don't show any interest. Cant have it both ways.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:50 PM

Capiche?
First of all, please don't talk to me like I'm some stupid kid with the Capiche crap. Second of all, why is this not a good place for someone to get their issue resolved? We have a sticky thread bitching about how many people's brakes are messed up, was that done just so we could whine to ourselves? (Probably was....)

Finally, it very well could be a real person. It's no secret that GM trolls the interwebs. I have been on other boards where they welcome the manufacturers, and they get **** done. Quit worrying about your warranty if you mod your car, that's the only thing you would be so scared about. Even then, as long as they don't have your real name, there's no problems.

You may be right, it could be someone ******* with us, but there's just as good a chance that it's a real person. If it was your mother/sister/etc. would you talk to her like that? Show some common ******* decency, or respect.

Originally Posted by emiller
Bitch when they show interest in fixing issues. Bitch when they don't show any interest. Cant have it both ways.
Exactly, they want to **** and moan about their brakes and post sticky's at the top of the forums, why? Just so they can **** and moan and make themselves feel better.

Quick Reply: Just did my service and...