Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10-ss-turbocharged-general-discussion-152/)
-   -   A Major Rattle SOLVED!!! (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10-ss-turbocharged-general-discussion-152/major-rattle-solved-168599/)

agent007kimball 04-28-2009 06:19 PM

A Major Rattle SOLVED!!!

So as many of you know, our cars can make some pretty funny sounds....one of the tradeoffs of having this amount of performance for the price.

So a while back I began to hear a small rattle coming from the rear of my car. Nothing crazy, but it was loud enough to be annoying and was always present. Over the next few weeks it began to get louder and louder. I looked at the rear bumper area numerous times and no panels were loose or parts off center.

Finally, I had enough of it so I put the car on rhino ramps and was determined to stay under the car until the problem was solved. I looked at all the bolts, alignments and panels. All were intact....but then I caught something which didnt seem right. One of the lines that goes to the rear rotors seemed a bit close to a wheel. Turns out it was rubbing against the very edge of the inner wheel (as seen in the picture) and over time had started to expose the metal within the rubber hose which had become the cause of the noise.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3326/...f800e0.jpg?v=0

Apparently, the small bracket which normally holds the hose does not do a good job of holding the line back. I checked the other side and it was the same problem.

So what was used to fix this? Zip-ties!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3652/...a02649.jpg?v=0

It is now firmly pulled into its bracket and the sound has totally gone away.

So if you have an odd rattle coming from the rear, check out these lines. They may be the culprit.

pimpnwink 04-28-2009 06:22 PM

good job will check mine. But someone has to fix the noise that happens when you play as song with some bass it pisses me off so much.

ssyellow 04-28-2009 06:26 PM

^^^ thought it was just my car lol....its in the window for me:(

Terminator2 04-28-2009 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by agent007kimball (Post 3796195)
So as many of you know, our cars can make some pretty funny sounds....one of the tradeoffs of having this amount of performance for the price.

So a while back I began to hear a small rattle coming from the rear of my car. Nothing crazy, but it was loud enough to be annoying and was always present. Over the next few weeks it began to get louder and louder. I looked at the rear bumper area numerous times and no panels were loose or parts off center.

Finally, I had enough of it so I put the car on rhino ramps and was determined to stay under the car until the problem was solved. I looked at all the bolts, alignments and panels. All were intact....but then I caught something which didnt seem right. One of the lines that goes to the rear rotors seemed a bit close to a wheel. Turns out it was rubbing against the very edge of the inner wheel (as seen in the picture) and over time had started to expose the metal within the rubber hose which had become the cause of the noise.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3326/...f800e0.jpg?v=0

Apparently, the small bracket which normally holds the hose does not do a good job of holding the line back. I checked the other side and it was the same problem.

So what was used to fix this? Zip-ties!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3652/...a02649.jpg?v=0

It is now firmly pulled into its bracket and the sound has totally gone away.

So if you have an odd rattle coming from the rear, check out these lines. They may be the culprit.

I just looked at my car and apparently your car is now missing a little blue clip that holds the line in place. Mine is still holding just fine.

agent007kimball 04-28-2009 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator2 (Post 3796254)
I just looked at my car and apparently your car is now missing a little blue clip that holds the line in place. Mine is still holding just fine.

Exactly. The other side had it still on the line but it had come loose so it was serving no function. I don't know what could have happened to both lines to cause one of them to go missing and the other to come loose but keep an eye on them....I get the feeling they are not the most durable of clips.

koch1ar 04-28-2009 06:46 PM

what are those lines?

agent007kimball 04-28-2009 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by koch1ar (Post 3796360)
what are those lines?

If I had to guess I would say they are ABS lines....they are hooked up to a module near the center of the car.

outtamymind 04-28-2009 06:55 PM

actually if i'm not mistaken thats your ebrake cable.

agent007kimball 04-28-2009 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by outtamymind (Post 3796419)

Well then there we go! :twothumbs

Either way, I am thrilled it is no longer making noise.

Terminator2 04-28-2009 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by outtamymind (Post 3796419)

Yep. :twothumbs

sherm420 04-28-2009 07:39 PM

tru im not rattling but ill check er out

Zander916 04-29-2009 01:06 AM

Just wanted to say good job and thank you! Saved some of us the hassle of taking time to find it ourselves.

Iam Broke 04-29-2009 08:45 AM

I'll take a look this weekend, thanks for the heads up!

Now if I could just find the bird chirping in the back seat. :(

boosted4dr 04-29-2009 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Iam Broke (Post 3798888)

Now if I could just find the bird chirping in the back seat. :(

Do you have sunroof? That was my rattle I could not find, turned out it was the sunroof module which apparently mounted towards the rear of the sunroof I guess. Dealer replaced module/motor and car is rattle free (well for a cobalt on stiff suspension that is, but the annoying rattles are gone)

Also....I had the plastic tabs that you use to mount a babyseat giving some noise, I now have those in the up position. And the Cable assly that is in the trunk for lowering the rear seats, there is a section in the rear that the cables rubbe on the body of the frame w/ nothing in place to prevent a possible rattle, if you move it around you can hear it, I installed some foam on the cornors to remove that. Might help some of the bass rattle that has been mentioned up top.

We should start a THIS RATTLED FOR ME thread and post what we find to fix some of the rattles lol

wantedSS/TC 04-29-2009 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by boosted4dr (Post 3798963)
Do you have sunroof? That was my rattle I could not find, turned out it was the sunroof module which apparently mounted towards the rear of the sunroof I guess. Dealer replaced module/motor and car is rattle free (well for a cobalt on stiff suspension that is, but the annoying rattles are gone)

Also....I had the plastic tabs that you use to mount a babyseat giving some noise, I now have those in the up position. And the Cable assly that is in the trunk for lowering the rear seats, there is a section in the rear that the cables rubbe on the body of the frame w/ nothing in place to prevent a possible rattle, if you move it around you can hear it, I installed some foam on the cornors to remove that. Might help some of the bass rattle that has been mentioned up top.

We should start a THIS RATTLED FOR ME thread and post what we find to fix some of the rattles lol

I would like that!! :cssNET:

Maetrix 04-29-2009 10:12 AM

Now if I could just find the bird chirping in the back seat.
If you have the Pioneer system, check the subwoofer enclosure.

If one of the nuts have come loose that mount it to the body, it will make that chirping
sound as the plastic of the enclosure rubs on the threads of the mounting stud.:cssNET:

FunkyStickman 04-29-2009 10:18 AM

Good lord, I'm scared to start looking for rattles in my car... with poly motor mounts, damn near everything buzzes and rattles!

metroplex 04-29-2009 10:52 AM

I now hear a springy "twaaaaaaang!" whenever I close my passenger door. I think it's because I re-adjusted my parking brake so the driver's side is just slightly loose. This causes the passenger side to be very loose, and it probably has a lot of slack.

Iam Broke 04-29-2009 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Maetrix (Post 3799138)
If you have the Pioneer system, check the subwoofer enclosure.

If one of the nuts have come loose that mount it to the body, it will make that chirping
sound as the plastic of the enclosure rubs on the threads of the mounting stud.:cssNET:

I'll check that, I already greased the seat back latches thinking it was there someplace.
It sounds closer than in the trunk though.

steven6870 04-29-2009 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by ssyellow (Post 3796223)
^^^ thought it was just my car lol....its in the window for me:(

If you here the sound when you play bass songs, grab a hold of the door handle on the outside. The rattle comes from the constant use of the handle. I guarantee your passenger side isn't nearly as bad. If I play "bassey" songs, I try to lean against the door more, that way the door doesnt have as far to travel. Damn rattling...sounds like those guys that install shitty systems in loose enclosures...