08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

A Major Rattle SOLVED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Major Rattle SOLVED!!!

So as many of you know, our cars can make some pretty funny sounds....one of the tradeoffs of having this amount of performance for the price.

So a while back I began to hear a small rattle coming from the rear of my car. Nothing crazy, but it was loud enough to be annoying and was always present. Over the next few weeks it began to get louder and louder. I looked at the rear bumper area numerous times and no panels were loose or parts off center.

Finally, I had enough of it so I put the car on rhino ramps and was determined to stay under the car until the problem was solved. I looked at all the bolts, alignments and panels. All were intact....but then I caught something which didnt seem right. One of the lines that goes to the rear rotors seemed a bit close to a wheel. Turns out it was rubbing against the very edge of the inner wheel (as seen in the picture) and over time had started to expose the metal within the rubber hose which had become the cause of the noise.

Apparently, the small bracket which normally holds the hose does not do a good job of holding the line back. I checked the other side and it was the same problem.

So what was used to fix this? Zip-ties!

It is now firmly pulled into its bracket and the sound has totally gone away.

So if you have an odd rattle coming from the rear, check out these lines. They may be the culprit.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:22 PM

good job will check mine. But someone has to fix the noise that happens when you play as song with some bass it pisses me off so much.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:26 PM

^^^ thought it was just my car lol....its in the window for me
Old 04-28-2009, 06:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by agent007kimball
So as many of you know, our cars can make some pretty funny sounds....one of the tradeoffs of having this amount of performance for the price.

So a while back I began to hear a small rattle coming from the rear of my car. Nothing crazy, but it was loud enough to be annoying and was always present. Over the next few weeks it began to get louder and louder. I looked at the rear bumper area numerous times and no panels were loose or parts off center.

Finally, I had enough of it so I put the car on rhino ramps and was determined to stay under the car until the problem was solved. I looked at all the bolts, alignments and panels. All were intact....but then I caught something which didnt seem right. One of the lines that goes to the rear rotors seemed a bit close to a wheel. Turns out it was rubbing against the very edge of the inner wheel (as seen in the picture) and over time had started to expose the metal within the rubber hose which had become the cause of the noise.

Apparently, the small bracket which normally holds the hose does not do a good job of holding the line back. I checked the other side and it was the same problem.

So what was used to fix this? Zip-ties!

It is now firmly pulled into its bracket and the sound has totally gone away.

So if you have an odd rattle coming from the rear, check out these lines. They may be the culprit.
I just looked at my car and apparently your car is now missing a little blue clip that holds the line in place. Mine is still holding just fine.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator2
I just looked at my car and apparently your car is now missing a little blue clip that holds the line in place. Mine is still holding just fine.
Exactly. The other side had it still on the line but it had come loose so it was serving no function. I don't know what could have happened to both lines to cause one of them to go missing and the other to come loose but keep an eye on them....I get the feeling they are not the most durable of clips.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:46 PM

what are those lines?
Old 04-28-2009, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by koch1ar
what are those lines?
If I had to guess I would say they are ABS lines....they are hooked up to a module near the center of the car.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actually if i'm not mistaken thats your ebrake cable.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by outtamymind
Well then there we go!

Either way, I am thrilled it is no longer making noise.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by outtamymind
Yep.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:39 PM

tru im not rattling but ill check er out
Old 04-29-2009, 01:06 AM

Just wanted to say good job and thank you! Saved some of us the hassle of taking time to find it ourselves.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:45 AM

I'll take a look this weekend, thanks for the heads up!

Now if I could just find the bird chirping in the back seat.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Iam Broke

Do you have sunroof? That was my rattle I could not find, turned out it was the sunroof module which apparently mounted towards the rear of the sunroof I guess. Dealer replaced module/motor and car is rattle free (well for a cobalt on stiff suspension that is, but the annoying rattles are gone)

Also....I had the plastic tabs that you use to mount a babyseat giving some noise, I now have those in the up position. And the Cable assly that is in the trunk for lowering the rear seats, there is a section in the rear that the cables rubbe on the body of the frame w/ nothing in place to prevent a possible rattle, if you move it around you can hear it, I installed some foam on the cornors to remove that. Might help some of the bass rattle that has been mentioned up top.

We should start a THIS RATTLED FOR ME thread and post what we find to fix some of the rattles lol
Old 04-29-2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by boosted4dr
Do you have sunroof? That was my rattle I could not find, turned out it was the sunroof module which apparently mounted towards the rear of the sunroof I guess. Dealer replaced module/motor and car is rattle free (well for a cobalt on stiff suspension that is, but the annoying rattles are gone)

Also....I had the plastic tabs that you use to mount a babyseat giving some noise, I now have those in the up position. And the Cable assly that is in the trunk for lowering the rear seats, there is a section in the rear that the cables rubbe on the body of the frame w/ nothing in place to prevent a possible rattle, if you move it around you can hear it, I installed some foam on the cornors to remove that. Might help some of the bass rattle that has been mentioned up top.

We should start a THIS RATTLED FOR ME thread and post what we find to fix some of the rattles lol
I would like that!!
Old 04-29-2009, 10:12 AM

If you have the Pioneer system, check the subwoofer enclosure.

If one of the nuts have come loose that mount it to the body, it will make that chirping
sound as the plastic of the enclosure rubs on the threads of the mounting stud.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:18 AM

Good lord, I'm scared to start looking for rattles in my car... with poly motor mounts, damn near everything buzzes and rattles!
Old 04-29-2009, 10:52 AM

I now hear a springy "twaaaaaaang!" whenever I close my passenger door. I think it's because I re-adjusted my parking brake so the driver's side is just slightly loose. This causes the passenger side to be very loose, and it probably has a lot of slack.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Maetrix
If you have the Pioneer system, check the subwoofer enclosure.

If one of the nuts have come loose that mount it to the body, it will make that chirping
sound as the plastic of the enclosure rubs on the threads of the mounting stud.
I'll check that, I already greased the seat back latches thinking it was there someplace.
It sounds closer than in the trunk though.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by ssyellow
^^^ thought it was just my car lol....its in the window for me
If you here the sound when you play bass songs, grab a hold of the door handle on the outside. The rattle comes from the constant use of the handle. I guarantee your passenger side isn't nearly as bad. If I play "bassey" songs, I try to lean against the door more, that way the door doesnt have as far to travel. Damn rattling...sounds like those guys that install shitty systems in loose enclosures...