08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

My "Buy a LNF they said..." Problem/Build Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 07:44 AM

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts
Under normal operation the car appears to be perfectly fine. However, when I go from a 2nd to 3rd shift, sometimes not always, the car spikes the MAF high, drops it to nothing, and cauts boost to 0. If I lift off the throttle and mash it again then it comes back perfectly.
Code is p0103 MAF Voltage High when this happens.
Why? When it is random and the car drives totally fine otherwise with normal MAF readings.

MAF is brand new OEM
MAF is on stock wiring that isn't cut or extended
No leaks IC to TB

This could just be me, but it seems like I don't really hear the BPV when this happens. I have a Forge BPV and normally I can hear it when I let off to shift to 3rd. When the MAF maxes I do not hear it.
Could the boost solenoid on the IM be going bad?
Could the BPV need cleaned and greased?
Old 01-14-2015, 10:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blueLNFftw
Under normal operation the car appears to be perfectly fine. However, when I go from a 2nd to 3rd shift, sometimes not always, the car spikes the MAF high, drops it to nothing, and cauts boost to 0. If I lift off the throttle and mash it again then it comes back perfectly.
Code is p0103 MAF Voltage High when this happens.
Why? When it is random and the car drives totally fine otherwise with normal MAF readings.

MAF is brand new OEM
MAF is on stock wiring that isn't cut or extended
No leaks IC to TB

This could just be me, but it seems like I don't really hear the BPV when this happens. I have a Forge BPV and normally I can hear it when I let off to shift to 3rd. When the MAF maxes I do not hear it.
Could the boost solenoid on the IM be going bad?
Could the BPV need cleaned and greased?
Has to be either a leak or more likely turbulence at the maf because it is kind of close to the throttle body. Either that or enough moisture is hitting it due to condensation in the IC and CPs. I never had water in my CPs ever though.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:23 AM

Does my log show anything in the fuel trims or boost indicating a leak?
I did boost leak test it from the DS intercooler to the TB and there are no leaks coming up.

I just think it is weird that I can build boost fine and hear the BPV in every gear. I can run the car to redline all the way to 4th without a single issue and hear the BPV in every shift. Then, every once and a while, when I do it I hear no BPV noice coming out of second and when I go into third and do 100% throttle the MAF spikes and then fails. Let off the gas, mash it again, and everything is normal.

Could I run the BPV off the manifold itself to see if the solenoid it is on is bad?
Old 01-14-2015, 10:25 AM

I did boost leak test it from the DS intercooler to the TB and there are no leaks coming up.

I just think it is weird that I can build boost fine and hear the BPV in every gear. I can run the car to redline all the way to 4th without a single issue and hear the BPV in every shift. Then, every once and a while, when I do it I hear no BPV noice coming out of second and when I go into third and do 100% throttle the MAF spikes and then fails. Let off the gas, mash it again, and everything is normal.

Could I run the BPV off the manifold itself to see if the solenoid it is on is bad?
Yes
Old 01-14-2015, 10:27 AM

Trims are a little negative vs normal for that relocate but the water hitting the maf causes this as well (negative fuel trims) so not necessarily a leak.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:34 AM

Burning the car to the ground will eliminate the water deal.

I wonder why it is happening. I drained all the water out, dried everything out, put it all together and boost leak tested it.
Cold air intake plus living next to the beach maybe?
Moisture rich air?

Its definitely not coolant and I know for a fact there was zero water in there when I put it all back together.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:40 AM

Burning the car to the ground will eliminate the water deal.

I wonder why it is happening. I drained all the water out, dried everything out, put it all together and boost leak tested it.
Cold air intake plus living next to the beach maybe?
Moisture rich air?

Its definitely not coolant and I know for a fact there was zero water in there when I put it all back together.
Check for water again but yes mostly likely moisture rich air plus IC equals lots of condensation if it is happening all the time.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:43 AM

Would getting a different IC help?
Old 01-14-2015, 10:55 AM

Would getting a different IC help?
I would not think so. I never had that water issue though and I live in a very humid part of Florida. It is all strange to me.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:35 PM

Revision number 5492y5645, **** it, I have lost count.

So I have been having random knock that has appeared to be false all over the mid RPM range. I have also had a lope at idle, and random misfires every so often. So as I have been trouble shooting I got to thinking hmm, I bet this car has the wrong plugs in it. So I grabbed a set of the proper Denso version of the OEM plug and went to install them today. Upon pulling all of the coil packs I find that the plug galleys are FILLED with soot. WTF?!?!?! Come to find out every single plug was not torqued down. They were all threaded in by hand..... Facepalm.
I have officially bought the car that was owned by the worlds stupidest mechanic.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:55 PM

Revision number 5492y5645, **** it, I have lost count.

So I have been having random knock that has appeared to be false all over the mid RPM range. I have also had a lope at idle, and random misfires every so often. So as I have been trouble shooting I got to thinking hmm, I bet this car has the wrong plugs in it. So I grabbed a set of the proper Denso version of the OEM plug and went to install them today. Upon pulling all of the coil packs I find that the plug galleys are FILLED with soot. WTF?!?!?! Come to find out every single plug was not torqued down. They were all threaded in by hand..... Facepalm.
I have officially bought the car that was owned by the worlds stupidest mechanic.
Holy **** man. Gap plugs to 0.030-0.032". AC Delco plugs right?
Old 01-18-2015, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Damn man its never ending you should really just check every since component/bolt in that engine before something bad happens to you and the car
Old 01-18-2015, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude. Why do you even still have this car? Lol. Isn't there a lemon law or something there?
Old 01-18-2015, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have a strange feeling the next thread blueLNFftw makes will be something along the lines of:

"Car was mysteriously stolen. Guess I dodged a bullet"

or

"Bad storms rolled through last night. Cobalt caught fire by 1 in a million lightening strike apparently"
Old 01-18-2015, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member

Lol i dont think that car is meant to die
Old 01-18-2015, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1
I have a strange feeling the next thread blueLNFftw makes will be something along the lines of:

or

"Bad storms rolled through last night. Cobalt caught fire by 1 in a million lightening strike apparently"
Orrrr... "On coming coal truck lose control of brakes and pushed car threw a building totaling it. Luckily I got out to get ice cream."
Old 01-18-2015, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Hahahaha.. Hey, I guess he just has bad luck with accidents. Thankfully he never gets hurt of course.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1

or

What is hysterical about this is that I sold my LSJ last week to a member here whose 05 LSJ was was mysteriously struck by lightning in his driveway two weeks ago....
Old 01-18-2015, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator2
Holy **** man. Gap plugs to 0.030-0.032". AC Delco plugs right?
The plugs inside were correct, which I found to be more unbelievable than them not being tight at all. However, they were at a .040" gap.
I installed the Denso verion of the AC Delco ones (exact same specs) gapped to .031". No one had AC Delcos anywhere close and I didn't want to wait.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Wert842
Dude. Why do you even still have this car? Lol. Isn't there a lemon law or something there?

I don't even know anymore honestly.
Yea, we do. Sadly it expires at like 15,000 miles or something like that....

And I am going to be stuck with it since this thread is pretty much the numder 1 reason no one will ever buy this car from me
Old 01-18-2015, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by eddieavila10
Damn man its never ending you should really just check every since component/bolt in that engine before something bad happens to you and the car
The sad thing is that I did for the most part when I pulled the trans. However, at that time I had not yet realized how dumb the guy that used to own this car really was.....
Old 01-18-2015, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

Hey atleast they would know you fixed alot of the problems so the car is deffo more complete

I feel sorry for the next car hes buying

Last edited by Snail_SS; 01-18-2015 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-18-2015, 02:58 PM

Lol i dont think that car is meant to die
It must not be. I have no idea how 25psi didn't push those plugs right through the threads honestly.....
Or how the wheel bearing with only one bolt held together for god knows how many miles.
Or how the wheel bearing with 3 hand tight bolts didnt fall off.
Nor how the rear suspension didnt implode with none of the shock bolts tightened.
Or how 3 bolts holding the trans on was enough.
Or how he felt that attaching sway bar links was optional

Its is the the guy who owned this car had some sort of aversion to a torque wrench or truly believed "finger tight" was plenty....
Old 01-18-2015, 02:59 PM

Hey atleast they would know you fixed alot of the problems so the car is deffo more complete

I feel sorry for the next car hes buying
I hope it falls apart on him
I also hope he is lurking and seeing this thread, because he stopped responding to my texts when I asked him why transmission bolts were not included in the sale....
Old 01-18-2015, 02:59 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
So let me guess no more issues after the correct plugs?

Quick Reply: My "Buy a LNF they said..." Problem/Build Thread.