08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

NOS octane booster.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NOS octane booster.

Hey guys just wanted to get your input on NOS octane booster. Does it really work or are the just to get your money and would they make any noticeable differences on our cars ?
Old 12-31-2012, 07:21 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Take 50% of the money you would spend on that and mail it to me. That way you get 100% of the results for 50% of the cost. Total win for you!
Old 12-31-2012, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
Lol awesome response!!
Old 12-31-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
octane boost.. for complete noobs.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:31 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Old 12-31-2012, 08:16 PM

The only time I ever use octane boost is when I have a marginal tank in my fourth gen - in order to stop the knock of the overly ambitious tune - or as a "just in case" when my wife puts regular in the 'balt, but the "NOS" brand? Just hype and it does nothing to increase performance.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is a little info on the topic and a good comparison Octane Boosters | Fuel Tech Experts
Old 12-31-2012, 09:12 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

The one to read first is
Do I need an Octane booster?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:06 PM

Good submissions on the articles!

I have 2-3 bottles of the 104+ (or is it 103+? Ah, who cares!), and like I said, its used mostly to treat crappy tanks of gas on my detonation-prone, over-tuned car. It really means nothing for horsepower unless you're kissing detonation and the ECM is pulling back timing. If you're there with your LNF, there's already something wrong with you!

I can also attest to toluene as a great additive - one of the benefits of working in a lab is that the expired bottles of that stuff come home with me.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:20 PM

Waste of money.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by SSSnoop
Good submissions on the articles!

I have 2-3 bottles of the 104+ (or is it 103+? Ah, who cares!), and like I said, its used mostly to treat crappy tanks of gas on my detonation-prone, over-tuned car. It really means nothing for horsepower unless you're kissing detonation and the ECM is pulling back timing. If you're there with your LNF, there's already something wrong with you!

I can also attest to toluene as a great additive - one of the benefits of working in a lab is that the expired bottles of that stuff come home with me.
Out of both of your posts, this is the only part that I even agree with. Need to warn people though... Toluene is extremely CORROSIVE! Be careful! (Remeber, this forum is mostly kids who are new to modding).

Octane boosters are crap. Period. Even for "treating crappy tanks of gas". You'd be better just driving on the crappy gas.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:14 AM

lol no need for it, buy air fresheners to hang off your rear view instead.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:23 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Okay, Octane booster is only useful IF... you put 89 octane in your car by accident. It will not create power in any way shape or form.

Isoheat on the other hand is VERY useful should you have water in your gas tank that causes your lines to freeze.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:38 PM

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Torco

Look it up.

The answer to your question is, yes, if you're tuned and have a way of increasing the timing to take advantage of it.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I wish I could find the post where a kid poured the bottle of NOS energy drink in his motorcycle tank.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Frogstofall
Out of both of your posts, this is the only part that I even agree with. Need to warn people though... Toluene is extremely CORROSIVE! Be careful! (Remeber, this forum is mostly kids who are new to modding).

Octane boosters are crap. Period. Even for "treating crappy tanks of gas". You'd be better just driving on the crappy gas.
I'm not talking 'balt here, mind you. I'm talking about my fourth gen that's a tic away from audible detonation thanks to a prior ******* tune - it knocks like a bitch on both regular and stale premium. Because of this - it normally only gets fed half-tanks of gas, and I carry the "crap" octane boost only for that occasion, the car will not pull back timing enough. I bought it that way, and I'm only biding time until I get the forged bottom end, LE1 heads, and then get the corrected tune. I don't drive it enough to spend the time to try to find the OBD1.5 cable and crap right now!

Toluene is not corrosive - its very bad with certain gasket materials, paint, and adhesive sealants in very high concentrations, but that goes with every aromatic used on cars. They used to run 80-plus percent toluene in Formula 1 fer Chrissakes. I would more hazard the pups around here on physically handling the stuff, since it and benzene are some pretty serious health hazards!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:43 PM

So here I am thinking this is a stupid product.. then I realized I may actually carry a bottle of octane booster with me anyways....

Perfect scenario..
LNF stock can run on 87... as min
LNF GMS1 can run on 91.. as min

Let's say I'm driving to a place in the middle of nowhere, and I need gas. I find a station in the middle of nowhere. The max they have is 91, but

1. Gas station is not busy, so it won't get filled all the time - not fresh fuel
2. 91 is used even less, so how old is't really? Has it degraded? Maybe the 91 is 5+ months old?

Don't think it would be a bad idea on a road trip to throw a bottle in the car?
Old 01-03-2013, 05:04 PM

I'm not talking 'balt here, mind you. I'm talking about my fourth gen that's a tic away from audible detonation thanks to a prior ******* tune - it knocks like a bitch on both regular and stale premium. Because of this - it normally only gets fed half-tanks of gas, and I carry the "crap" octane boost only for that occasion, the car will not pull back timing enough. I bought it that way, and I'm only biding time until I get the forged bottom end, LE1 heads, and then get the corrected tune. I don't drive it enough to spend the time to try to find the OBD1.5 cable and crap right now!

Toluene is not corrosive - its very bad with certain gasket materials, paint, and adhesive sealants in very high concentrations, but that goes with every aromatic used on cars. They used to run 80-plus percent toluene in Formula 1 fer Chrissakes. I would more hazard the pups around here on physically handling the stuff, since it and benzene are some pretty serious health hazards!
Thanks, I did misuse the term corrosive. It does eat most non Teflon gaskets among other things like rubber and what not. I use it just about every day at work.

The systems it was used in back in the 80s were prepped for it. I would say street vehicles are most likely not. A few oz in a tank of gas won't hurt though.

Doesn't matter what kind of car, octane boosters do NOTHING. It's in your head I guarantee.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by CudaJoe
Okay, Octane booster is only useful IF... you put 89 octane in your car by accident. It will not create power in any way shape or form.

Isoheat on the other hand is VERY useful should you have water in your gas tank that causes your lines to freeze.
Wrong. It does nothing. Absolutely nothing. It increases octane MAYBE 0.3 that's it.

Iso heat is good stuff for cold climates I agree.

Originally Posted by G Speed
So here I am thinking this is a stupid product.. then I realized I may actually carry a bottle of octane booster with me anyways....

Perfect scenario..
LNF stock can run on 87... as min
LNF GMS1 can run on 91.. as min

Let's say I'm driving to a place in the middle of nowhere, and I need gas. I find a station in the middle of nowhere. The max they have is 91, but

1. Gas station is not busy, so it won't get filled all the time - not fresh fuel
2. 91 is used even less, so how old is't really? Has it degraded? Maybe the 91 is 5+ months old?

Don't think it would be a bad idea on a road trip to throw a bottle in the car?
Don't bother.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Wrong. It does nothing. Absolutely nothing. It increases octane MAYBE 0.3 that's it.
This

Don't bother.
and this.

If you find yourself someplace that sells gasoline so rarely that you suspect it'll be an issue:

a) You took a left turn at the twilight zone. I can't think of too many gas stations that buy 2, 5, or 10 thousand gallons of gas and let it sit in a tank for 6 months all paid for. Gas stations like that are out of business.

b) Do buy the minimum that you need to get to a better gas station. Do drive slowly and carefully to that place. Don't waste your money on octane boost.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
This

and this.

If you find yourself someplace that sells gasoline so rarely that you suspect it'll be an issue:

a) You took a left turn at the twilight zone. I can't think of too many gas stations that buy 2, 5, or 10 thousand gallons of gas and let it sit in a tank for 6 months all paid for. Gas stations like that are out of business.

b) Do buy the minimum that you need to get to a better gas station. Do drive slowly and carefully to that place. Don't waste your money on octane boost.
I think were drifting way off here; OP's original question was one of performance; the only thing that's debatable is whether some of the better octane boosts out there will reduce a knock-prone car from knocking, especially a borderline case, or when you're stuck with older gas in your older car's tank that you need to help clear on the way to getting fresh gas. We can all pretty much clearly agree that its bullshit to use it thinking you're actually going to magically turn bad gas into premium, or add horsepower to a car that already runs fine on what its getting.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

I think were drifting way off here; OP's original question was one of performance
I already addressed that in a previous post.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 AM

Iso heat is good stuff for cold climates I agree.

Don't bother.
Well YEAH> Thats why you pour 10 bottles in the gas tank. 1 bottle does nothin.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

maybe YOU would pour 10 bottles of that **** in your tank, but I wouldn't.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
maybe YOU would pour 10 bottles of that **** in your tank, but I wouldn't.
The car loves the stuff. Its like filling up with race gas only alot more expensive.

Quick Reply: NOS octane booster.