08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Possible freezes in production for the SS/TC

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible freezes in production for the SS/TC

As some of you may have read about, I required a new Rear Axle Tube for my SS/TC. Shockingly, there was only 1 of these in the country and it was already spoken for. So for about 3 weeks I had absolutly no access to one since the GM factorys were closed down. After talking with GM corporate, they had no idea how to get a hold of one and finally agreed to send me an assembled rear axle tube from the assembly line.

The factory has since opened back up and I have recieved my part. During this discussion however, they said that they are having serious problems with one of the companies that builds these rear axle tubes for the SS/TC. Apparently, that company has refused to send any more parts to GM since they claim they have not been paid by GM for over 6 months.

So if this is not resolved and there is no new influx of rear axle tubes, once they run out of their current supply, there may not be any more SS/TC's coming off the line.

We will have to see what the future holds for our cars.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:13 AM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
lmao turbo cavalier
Old 01-18-2009, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
lmao turbo cavalier

In response to the original post...it's interesting that the supplier claims they haven't been paid. This article was just posted talking about GM paying all of its suppliers on time

http://www.autonews.com/article/2009...901159968/1128

Whatever the case may be, lets hope these things get worked out soon!
Old 01-18-2009, 10:38 AM

GM makes certain promises with regards to replacement parts. the main one being that all production parts for any new car sold be available for a certain number of years. (dont kno the number off the top of my head)

if this is true, this would mean disaster. all SSTCs not sold, or halfway through production would be used to support the current cobalts.

chances are this wont happen, but if some OE parts are truly not being delivered to GM themselves then there might be some big problems ahead.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by originaladrian
GM makes certain promises with regards to replacement parts. the main one being that all production parts for any new car sold be available for a certain number of years. (dont kno the number off the top of my head)

if this is true, this would mean disaster. all SSTCs not sold, or halfway through production would be used to support the current cobalts.

chances are this wont happen, but if some OE parts are truly not being delivered to GM themselves then there might be some big problems ahead.
its 7 yrs after final unit rolls off the line

if it gets bad, the will look for another supplier or see if another brand will help them out (chrysler had an evaperator issue on the minivans, the supplier couldnt meet demand, so they switched to the company that made them for ford)
Old 01-18-2009, 11:01 AM

I'd assume GM will pay up. Chances are, this distributor is supplying more than just the rear axle of one low production model (SS)
Old 01-18-2009, 11:44 AM

GM will have another company pumping those axles out before they run out this is a pretty common thing for GM . one company will not deliver them but there are a lot more out there that will. also GM dosen't pay it's parts venders for a minimum of 90 days
Old 01-18-2009, 12:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by originaladrian
they are required by law to do that for 10 years
Old 01-18-2009, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by agent007kimball
As some of you may have read about, I required a new Rear Axle Tube for my SS/TC. Shockingly, there was only 1 of these in the country and it was already spoken for. So for about 3 weeks I had absolutly no access to one since the GM factorys were closed down. After talking with GM corporate, they had no idea how to get a hold of one and finally agreed to send me an assembled rear axle tube from the assembly line.

The factory has since opened back up and I have recieved my part. During this discussion however, they said that they are having serious problems with one of the companies that builds these rear axle tubes for the SS/TC. Apparently, that company has refused to send any more parts to GM since they claim they have not been paid by GM for over 6 months.

So if this is not resolved and there is no new influx of rear axle tubes, once they run out of their current supply, there may not be any more SS/TC's coming off the line.

Actually this will not effect any production units coming off the line. I've asked some questions to a GM area rep about items like this (well not the axle, but other items and general conversation)...They get two bids, a supplier for 1 item (production line) and a supplier for the replacement parts (could be the same, could be different). GM makes money producing a car, thus for example just because you cannot get rotors, rear brakes does not mean GM doesnt have a huge supply of them for the production line, they just dont have any for replacement right now (which is bad if you need htem right now). Not even an act of god could take a part made for production line and sent out for a replacement.

Originally Posted by krispy
they are required by law to do that for 10 years
Ask SSR owners about this. I know of several that have had parts on order for 6+ months with no solution in sight

Last edited by boosted4dr; 01-18-2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-18-2009, 02:10 PM

One of the newer ford trucks at work broke down last thursday and ford told us that the part will not be available till late march. So this isn't just a gm problem.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by boosted4dr
Actually this will not effect any production units coming off the line. I've asked some questions to a GM area rep about items like this (well not the axle, but other items and general conversation)...They get two bids, a supplier for 1 item (production line) and a supplier for the replacement parts (could be the same, could be different). GM makes money producing a car, thus for example just because you cannot get rotors, rear brakes does not mean GM doesnt have a huge supply of them for the production line, they just dont have any for replacement right now (which is bad if you need htem right now). Not even an act of god could take a part made for production line and sent out for a replacement.

Ask SSR owners about this. I know of several that have had parts on order for 6+ months with no solution in sight
An interesting point but one of the primary reasons that the US auto industry is in trouble (particularly GM) is that they are losing money on each car they produce. I believe it was to the tune of $2000 last I heard.

During this whole process, I have heard from 3 seperate GM managers and mechanics that this particular part was taken directly off the assembly line. It is possible that they lied about that, but the exact same thing coming from 3 seperate GM employees makes me think that it did.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by boosted4dr
Not even an act of god could take a part made for production line and sent out for a replacement.
not true parts can come off the production line however it is VERY VERY rare but it does happen... i have personaly seen this happen
Old 01-18-2009, 04:51 PM

called it, thats why no rear brake pads too
Old 01-18-2009, 08:12 PM

Guess we better not break anything then...
Old 01-19-2009, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did anybody think that maybe it's the VENDOR that went belly up?
Old 01-19-2009, 06:40 PM

could this be the reason for the "special order" on my ss/tc grille from ced?
Old 01-20-2009, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by agent007kimball

same thing with me only i don't need anything that complicated.... i need rear brakes.... gm doesn't have them.... wtf