08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

rear brakes, suspension upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear brakes, suspension upgrades

Wassup guys, hey i was just wondering what sum of you guys have done as far as upgrades for brakes and suspension. Is there a brembo kit for the rear?? or should i just get hawk pads& rotors? and wat about suspension? your help is greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 05-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
rear brakes don't need any more grip.

Look through the suspension section.

Pedders springs, OTTP rear sway bar.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:29 PM

Rear Brakes:

There are no bolt on brembo brake kits for the rear, if you really need better brakes in the rear get some better pads (i.e. Hawk HPS) and some better rotors and lube up your caliper slide pins.

Suspension:

The only worthwhile upgrade performance wise seems to be a rear sway bar and spherical control arm bushings everything else (i.e. lowering springs) are strictly for aesthetics and do not improve handling. Unless of course your willing to go to full on coilovers and corner scales.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by tom.g
Rear Brakes:

There are no bolt on brembo brake kits for the rear, if you really need better brakes in the rear get some better pads (i.e. Hawk HPS) and some better rotors and lube up your caliper slide pins.

Suspension:

The only worthwhile upgrade performance wise seems to be a rear sway bar and spherical control arm bushings everything else (i.e. lowering springs) are strictly for aesthetics and do not improve handling. Unless of course your willing to go to full on coilovers and corner scales.

^^^ actually the pedders springs.. do improve handling + a slight cosmetic gain

I have no idea why would we need control arm bushings?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G Speed
^^^ actually the pedders springs.. do improve handling + a slight cosmetic gain

I have no idea why would we need control arm bushings?
Under hard cornering, the large rubber control arm bushing allows the wheel to lose camber, because the bottom of the outside wheel starts to tuck.

It's very evident on track when cornering hard during long sweepers. Almost feels like the tire is folding over.

p.s. Get the hardcore bar. It's in no way too aggressive for the street. I've been on it through multiple storms now, and the car isn't the slightest bit unstable. In fact, with the Pedders + OTTP hardcore rear bar, I'd say the car is perfect for wet track days.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:27 PM

and what about front sway bars??
Old 05-04-2010, 10:50 PM

No, stiffening up the front of the car is just going to increase the understeer. As far as suspension mods. Just depends what you want to do with the car. Just street? Drag? track days? Appearance?
Old 05-05-2010, 01:04 AM

My goal is to have a suspension and braking system that trully complements the performance. I want to have a complete, legit car. But i guess its more towars street
Old 05-05-2010, 01:06 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

your car has better suspension than an Evo MR.

How exactly is it not complementing of it's power?
Old 05-05-2010, 01:41 AM

lol ^^
Old 05-05-2010, 01:43 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?
Old 05-05-2010, 01:44 AM

he's not joking
Old 05-05-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Wangspeed
Under hard cornering, the large rubber control arm bushing allows the wheel to lose camber, because the bottom of the outside wheel starts to tuck.

It's very evident on track when cornering hard during long sweepers. Almost feels like the tire is folding over.

p.s. Get the hardcore bar. It's in no way too aggressive for the street. I've been on it through multiple storms now, and the car isn't the slightest bit unstable. In fact, with the Pedders + OTTP hardcore rear bar, I'd say the car is perfect for wet track days.
I never knew that

who makes control arms for our car?
Old 05-05-2010, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Wangspeed

Wangspeed I didn't know you were running Pedders springs. As you're probably one of the few drivers that spends alot of time on the track with his SS and knows a fair bit about suspension/handling what are your thoughts on the Pedders? On the street? On the track?

Originally Posted by G Speed

who makes control arms for our car?
OTTP
Old 05-05-2010, 09:21 PM

And as far as brakes go, it will brake harder than you will ever need on the street. You can really stand this damn car on its nose even on stock pads.

And I really understand the need for the CAB now. Went to the track this weekend for the first time with some sticky tires. Wasn't really apperent with the stock continentals but, I felt like I was rolling the sidewalls but looking at the tires I knew I wasn't. Anyway, on the street you don't need those either.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:07 PM

i just did my susupension last weekend. i bought the eibach kit. yea its more for looks but it comes with the front and rear sway bars. still havent had a chance to drive it yet. so i couldnt tell you how it feels.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tom.g
Wangspeed I didn't know you were running Pedders springs. As you're probably one of the few drivers that spends alot of time on the track with his SS and knows a fair bit about suspension/handling what are your thoughts on the Pedders? On the street? On the track?
I've only had a chance to run them on the street so far. They feel fine, but honestly, I can't evaluate how well they perform til I get to a track. By no means are they too rough for the street. I've been through a few heavy rainstorms now on the stock tires, OTTP/Powell hardcore bar, and Pedders. I think it's a great wet setup. Oversteer? Not a chance. I think you'd need balding tires, and to do something really evil.

One thing, I also picked up Powergrid endlinks, and I can't say that it was worth it on a newer car. The Pedders don't lower the car enough to justify adjustable front endlinks, IMO. Maybe if your endlinks are shot, but the stock ones seem decent.