08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Running rough in the rain?..

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running rough in the rain?..

I did a search and couldn't really find a good answer to this. But recently, my 08TC runs kinda rough in the rain. it hesitates then kinda surges back to normal. nmost of my driving on my commute is highway and itll just feel like its stuck and doesnt wanna rev out. its weird. i assume either its something with the plugs or somehow a sensor is getting wet. i dont know how water could be getting through the intake tho.

btw all stock, GMS1 and K&N drop-in
Old 07-12-2010, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by ah665
I did a search and couldn't really find a good answer to this. But recently, my 08TC runs kinda rough in the rain. it hesitates then kinda surges back to normal. nmost of my driving on my commute is highway and itll just feel like its stuck and doesnt wanna rev out. its weird. i assume either its something with the plugs or somehow a sensor is getting wet. i dont know how water could be getting through the intake tho.

btw all stock, GMS1 and K&N drop-in

Mine kinda does the same thing, but only once in a while.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
um...kind of sounds like a traction problem and the ecu limiting power... try being in comp mode or turning off TC and ESC and see what happens.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by northvibe
um...kind of sounds like a traction problem and the ecu limiting power... try being in comp mode or turning off TC and ESC and see what happens.
more than likely the issue, on the stock tires n e water on the road = 0 traction...
Old 07-12-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Whitty
more than likely the issue, on the stock tires n e water on the road = 0 traction...
tires are pretty good in the rain... only serious down poor + speeds of 160kph higher will cause low traction
Old 07-12-2010, 02:11 PM

Hmm my car has never had this problem, had it since September of last year and my town gets rain probably 75% of the year. In for info if it ever does happen to me.
Also traction is never a big issue with me in the rain even when I'm on the highway 100+kph
Old 07-12-2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by G Speed
tires are pretty good in the rain... only serious down poor + speeds of 160kph higher will cause low traction
the tires aren't good on dry asphalt let alone wet!
Old 07-12-2010, 02:26 PM

I "like" the stock tires, but have you seen the tread? they dont get rid of water very well. Traction is a big issue with these tires, specially in the wet.

Also in the wet if the tires spin you will have zero idea they are. The ecu will sense that and disable power to the wheels. which feels like bogging down. This happens to me ALL the time in wet AND dry. turn it to comp mode or tsc/esc off and you will not get bogging like that in similar conditions.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:28 PM

tires could be the problem. i am going in for a new set tommorrow. i is similat to how the traction control cuts power, but just when it happens is odd. just cruising along in 5th itll just be bogging or something. then when it dries up it runs fine.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:32 PM

tires could be the problem. i am going in for a new set tommorrow. i is similat to how the traction control cuts power, but just when it happens is odd. just cruising along in 5th itll just be bogging or something. then when it dries up it runs fine.
maybe k&n is over oiled? try cleaning the maf sensor and using the stock filter for a couple rainy days and see if that fixes it.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:34 PM

I "like" the stock tires, but have you seen the tread? they dont get rid of water very well. Traction is a big issue with these tires, specially in the wet.

Also in the wet if the tires spin you will have zero idea they are. The ecu will sense that and disable power to the wheels. which feels like bogging down. This happens to me ALL the time in wet AND dry. turn it to comp mode or tsc/esc off and you will not get bogging like that in similar conditions.
I do agree ^^^ but I leave all my traction nannies on all the time, if there coming on i'm doing something wrong
Old 07-12-2010, 04:40 PM

I do agree ^^^ but I leave all my traction nannies on all the time, if there coming on i'm doing something wrong
seriously? dang. Mine turn on just flooring it in 1st or 2nd :/ highly irritating.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Doomtor
Mine kinda does the same thing, but only once in a while.
This right here.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:01 PM

seriously? dang. Mine turn on just flooring it in 1st or 2nd :/ highly irritating.
sorry to say but your doing it wrong lol
Old 07-12-2010, 07:05 PM

sorry to say but your doing it wrong lol
me? you must not floor it good enough I'm slightly modded up, are you still stock?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:03 PM

haha. well i can see that but not at like 2k in 5th on a straightaway. u could be right about the filter. just seems odd that it would only cause a problem in the rain if it were over oiled. could the plugs even be a potential problem? or does it not seem like symptoms that would point to them needing replaced?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:16 PM

Subd. I'm not tc but my car car seems to serge alot in the rain. I kinda think it is water seeping under my headlight because of how crappy the figment is and filter getting wet. It threw a code once but went away when I turned car off and restarted.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:43 PM

haha. well i can see that but not at like 2k in 5th on a straightaway. u could be right about the filter. just seems odd that it would only cause a problem in the rain if it were over oiled. could the plugs even be a potential problem? or does it not seem like symptoms that would point to them needing replaced?
2k rpm in 5th and flooring it? eh its going to bog, thats pretty low rpm to request power and boost...you need to down shift brotha!

Originally Posted by JetBlackSS
Subd. I'm not tc but my car car seems to serge alot in the rain. I kinda think it is water seeping under my headlight because of how crappy the figment is and filter getting wet. It threw a code once but went away when I turned car off and restarted.
ya someone just mentioned a cai getting wet from rain with water running down the light. make sure to have a hydroshield.

Last edited by northvibe; 07-12-2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-12-2010, 10:43 PM

me? you must not floor it good enough I'm slightly modded up, are you still stock?
you can't floor it in this car... everything has to be friggin gradual & smooth
Old 07-12-2010, 10:49 PM

you can't floor it in this car... everything has to be friggin gradual & smooth
lol whaaat? thats the only way I drive it. wot or stopped.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:08 PM

lol whaaat? thats the only way I drive it. wot or stopped.
I see we have similar driving styles, F MPG!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 09:04 AM

2k rpm in 5th and flooring it? eh its going to bog, thats pretty low rpm to request power and boost...you need to down shift brotha!
no. i'm saying i can understand the traction issue if you are flooring it, but i'm getting the bogging/surging when driving normal highway driving...5th gear (or 4th) etc just keeping a pretty steady rpm. and also city driving in the rain (but not driving aggressively) i will still get irratic behavior from the motor. dunno if it helps, but i have yet to see my traction light come on during all of this.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:57 PM

i have this same problem. it is def NOT a traction issue. it is a fuel cut or boost cut issue. imagine ur in 3rd or 4th gear and accelerating very gradually then the car bogs then takes off then bogs then accelerates again. meanwhile uve been holding the gas pedel still the whole time. Also sometimes it doesnt bog but there is just a very reduced amount of power. very noticeable and usually for a while in any gear. it only happens when it is raining really hard. and im blaming it on water gettin in the intake. my car had an injen cai on it when i got it so im tradein it for a knn sri and gunna see what happens.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:26 PM

jpv your cai could be causing some issues if its wet, another member said water was running off their headlight right ON TO the cai filter. So for sure check that.

to the OP are the stage 1 sensors taped up with electrical tape or shrink tube, aka sealed at the splice? if water was getting into the splice it could cause some issues...
Old 07-20-2010, 08:44 PM

jpv your cai could be causing some issues if its wet, another member said water was running off their headlight right ON TO the cai filter. So for sure check that.

to the OP are the stage 1 sensors taped up with electrical tape or shrink tube, aka sealed at the splice? if water was getting into the splice it could cause some issues...
yea ive heard of a lot of ppl havin that problem with there cai. i had the same prob on my old car. im def just gettin rid of it. just to save myself the headache. the extra few degrees of colder air is def not worth it.

Quick Reply: Running rough in the rain?..