08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Which Shifter Cables to Get

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which Shifter Cables to Get

see the SS/SC got a new shifter cable, and looks like ZZP sell it for the LNF as well.
Would the new SS/SC 10383794 be better than the SS/TC 25798498???
If so what's the diff between them?
Anything you have to adjust or do different?
Old 07-07-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Not sure if there is a difference, other than GM just updating part numbers.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
Not sure if there is a difference, other than GM just updating part numbers.
Welp, this is as far as I got so far trying to figure it out:

ZZP:
Yes, these cables tend to alleviate the issue that the factory cables have with popping out and failing.
Answer by: Ryan D (Admin) on Jul 7, 2017 12:21:00 PM

Me:
What has been changed on the cables from the LNF 25798498 to the new LSJ 10383794 to accomplish that?
Is part of the cabl made from a different material? If so what?
Is part of the cable designed differently? If so what and how?
It's just not clear what's changed exactly, if anything.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:22 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Is it wierd that ive never had the shifter cable clamp issue of it snapping or breaking? I mean are you guys slamming the shifter into gear like a kid playing an Outrun arcade machine?
Old 07-10-2017, 08:34 AM

Nope, a piece broke off of mine just when I went to pop it open to switch to a shot throw shifter.
An upgrade I regret.
Shifter cable though has been getting worse and worse, which is the main reason for the replacement for me.
Going up and down is fine, but the left and right is stiff as hell, even when you pop both ends of the cable off, it's still just stiff as hell, with nothing attached to it.
Been greasing it for a month straight, each time I got in the car, but not much better at all.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:11 AM

what grease are you using?

Do you clean the shifter before applying the new grease?
Old 07-10-2017, 11:00 AM

Tried few diff ones of grease.
Clean the shifter? Not sure how that'd come into play, as I already mentioned, the issue remains with the shifter disconnected. Shifter if fine.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:12 AM

I mean when you pull the boot up, the ball joint of the shifter that your actually supposed to be greasing. Where are you putting the grease? With it disconnected and still have an issue moving side to side.... Is the boot getting pinched?

Old 07-10-2017, 11:36 AM

No, I'm not talking about the shifter, the cables are the issue. With nothing connected to either side of the cables, the one that controls left to right movement is stiff as hell; while the cable that is for up and down movement moves fine.
Shifter is fine.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:50 AM

Seen the same as others too that had this issue

Old 07-10-2017, 11:57 AM

That's why I wanted to know what was different between these cables exactly. ZZP seem to indicate there is some difference, but it's not clear as to what is actually physically different with the cable.
Be nice to know for sure what the actual difference is.
I know others on here with LNFs have bought the new LSJ cables from ZZP, as they are the only ones they sell, but see no mention of the difference from the LNF cables actually stated in any thread.
Wonder if they are both equally prown to that same issue on that same exact cable.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by nutty21
No, I'm not talking about the shifter, the cables are the issue. With nothing connected to either side of the cables, the one that controls left to right movement is stiff as hell; while the cable that is for up and down movement moves fine.
Shifter is fine.
I completely understand now lol. Dont know why I wasnt catching what you were saying before.

I dont think grease will ever help with the stiff cables issue. I would only get stiff cables in the winter and below 28*F. For some reason, one year after slowly forcing it to move many of times over the past 8 years, the cables just let go of whatever was causing them to stick. Never seen the sticking cable issue in winter again.

You issue sounds completely different, it being summer and all. replace em.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:45 PM

Yeah, mine just kept getting worse and worse I've.time, till it got to the point I had to slam it over with two hands to get it in reverse. I greased both sides of the cable, and just left the trim off, up by the shifter, so I could just keep greasing it. It did help enough that I could at.least get it in reverse again, and was noticibly better, now it's not evenly sticky. Sticky trying to get from second to third, but then let's.up.some.on the shift and end up going all the way over towards 5th, so have to pull it back towards third again each time. Can work it back and forth and helps a little, but soon as it sits again, it's seized up again. Guess all the grease probably ly.came out, and insides started to deteriorate over time. Should have attempted greasing the cable earlier on I guess.
Thinking cold is the killer, and being in Canada, chances are I might hit it again. Just weird that looking through the forums it always seems.to be that right cable that has crap coming out.of it. Looks to be designed a little.diff from the left. Was just hoping maybe something changed with the updated LSJ cables, that make.them better than the LNF cables, and according to ZZP there is a difference, just not clear what the physical change actually was though.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by nutty21
Shifter is fine.
That happened to me and I thought I'd wait it out and maybe it would loosen up but it just got stiffer and stiffer. Replaced the cables. Surprisingly the up and down cable was fine but the neutral one was completely seized.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:21 PM

Welp, difference between the two cables appears to be one of the clips, that you pull back on when removing/installing, is white instead of black; so hope that change in color helps prevent the issue from occuring again with these cables...
Old 07-26-2017, 09:08 AM

Tip for anyone installing:

Use a very small flat head, to gently pull the rubber open some, to be able to spray grease into the inside of the rubber, for the rubber plug that goes into the firewall, and for the clip that holds the bolt. Then grease the outside of the lines with a thicker grease. This will allow you to slide one line slightly ahead of the other, to be able.to fit the ends through the hole in the firewall easier. Be carefully, as the rubber for the plug is thin, and can rip easily. Then once the ends are through the firewall slide the plug and clip back to their original positions on the line.

Also take the panel to the fusebox off inside the car, as well the panel on the opposite(drivers) side, so that you can access and pull back the carpet around the hole in the firewall to.get the plug in.