08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Thinking about a Cobalt SS/TC

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about a Cobalt SS/TC

Hey all,

I am new here. I have been checking out the Cobalt SS for a while now and I have gone into the dealer a few times to get prices but I think I am getting closer to buying one and just have a few questions so any help would be great. I have read alot of threads around here since it took almost a week for me to get approved for registration so I don't have as many questions.

I am going to finance the car and the rates they gave me were (remember, I am in Canada)

$481.52 60 mnth @ 1.9% with $4500 down
or
$395.02 72 mnth @ 8.7% with $4500 down

Total price for the car is $28891 for 60 month and 28441.44 for the 72 month.

Is that a good deal? Basically since they have a $5000 rebate with the 72 month finance or something the car is basically $21000 plus tax's, options and fees

Can I do better? They said they would not go lower but they would throw in $650 of maintenance fees

Also, I know domestics don't have the best rep for being reliable but is the new cobalt pretty good? I have read about a few little problems but is there anything major I should know?

Last question, the display for boost/hp/air fuel ratio is called like RPD or something like that and I have read it is not available in Canada, is this true as when I was at the dealer, I as able to add a "digital display boost gauge" so would that be the same thing?

Also, should I get the high spoiler or no? I see alot of people hate it but most of you have it.

Thanks

Old 11-23-2008, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by cereal83
Hey all,

I am new here. I have been checking out the Cobalt SS for a while now and I have gone into the dealer a few times to get prices but I think I am getting closer to buying one and just have a few questions so any help would be great. I have read alot of threads around here since it took almost a week for me to get approved for registration so I don't have as many questions.

I am going to finance the car and the rates they gave me were (remember, I am in Canada)

or

Is that a good deal? Basically since they have a $5000 rebate with the 72 month finance or something the car is basically $21000 plus tax's, options and fees

Can I do better? They said they would not go lower but they would throw in $650 of maintenance fees

Also, I know domestics don't have the best rep for being reliable but is the new cobalt pretty good? I have read about a few little problems but is there anything major I should know?

Last question, the display for boost/hp/air fuel ratio is called like RPD or something like that and I have read it is not available in Canada, is this true as when I was at the dealer, I as able to add a "digital display boost gauge" so would that be the same thing?

Also, should I get the high spoiler or no? I see alot of people hate it but most of you have it.

Thanks

Hey man, good to hear your thinkin about the ss/tc, i've be incredibly happy with mine and can't wait to auto-x it next year. My ss/tc was also done with financing, the rate i was given was 2.9% 72 months $458 a month payments. I skipped only 2 options on the cobalt, the USB slot for the radio and the XM in dash radio, neither really grabbed my attention. My came out at $28290 with only $200 down, in the end and i had to factory order it but it was worth it. As for the RPD, sry dood, we all wish GM would smarten the *** up and give us the RPD in Canada but for w/e reason their fukin around playin with each others dicks and not giving us the RPD

Btw, high rise spoiler ftw, and WHITE FTW!!!!!
Old 11-23-2008, 04:49 PM

Hey all,

or

Thanks

Well I have a TC so its a Biased opinion. I say go for it. Great car, fun as hell to drive, comes with a great warrenty. Mine came to 21400, and i rolled over like 2k of loan from old car, and my payments are 371 a month. Mine was 21,400 because I asked for a left over 08 instead of an 09. I havnt really heard of any mechanical issues on the TC, people only run into problems after they start messing with ****. And you have a warrenty and extended warrenty so u shouldnt worry about that stuff, at least in my opinion.

Like I said its so much fun to drive and the boost is so addicting. Car looks good and clean and you never see too many SS/TC's around town, and if u do then u will be friends with them real soon.

As for the Reconfigurable Performance Display, I dont think it comes stock in Canada, but you can have it put on for some extra money. When they say digital boost gauge Im thinking they are talking about the RPD becasue the regular boost gauge isnt digital. But the RPD is also not just a boost gauge so he could be talking about either one.

One way or the other I think your getting a pretty solid deal on a SS/TC. I took the 72 month lease so I can have lower payments each month. Never know when I can use that extra money. Another great thing about a cobalt is becasuse of this website. We have very active forums with a ton of information and car meets all over the place. Good luck with whatever ur decision is.

OH and spoiler is personal opinion, poeple will say High rise is rice and slows the car down (which is a ton of bullshit) but to each their own. High rise is my personal favorite. If your gonna be paying 400 a month, you should want ur **** to stand out and look fast and agressive. Especially with a turbo under the hood. I wouldnt spend 400 a month and try to get my car to blend in with the toyotas in the parking lot
Old 11-23-2008, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the reply. Well lol if I do buy, it will be a white one for sure as they look nice. Only options i want are XM, LSD and this display thing that nobody knows what it is.

So you paid a bit less then what they are offer me um. Crappy thing now is that you can only finance like 105% or something so I have to put $4500 down unless I want to do 0 down and pay $570 a month. I have to think about it so thanks
Old 11-23-2008, 04:53 PM

do iiiitttt! lol
Old 11-23-2008, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the reply. Well lol if I do buy, it will be a white one for sure as they look nice. Only options i want are XM, LSD and this display thing that nobody knows what it is.

So you paid a bit less then what they are offer me um. Crappy thing now is that you can only finance like 105% or something so I have to put $4500 down unless I want to do 0 down and pay $570 a month. I have to think about it so thanks
your probably getting raped by PST ya? I managed to get 2.9% financing for 72months on mine with only $200 down and $458 a month payments. I have the LSD, big wing, sunroof, those were the expensive options.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:56 PM

wouldnt recomend it, who knows were gm will be in a year
Old 11-23-2008, 05:00 PM

well the whole thing is... the interest rate its not gonna be that much of a difference go for the lower interest rate you'll save a couple thousand in 5-6 years... 9 compared to 2..
Old 11-23-2008, 05:01 PM

Go for it seems like everyone is saying GM is dead, you will own a prehistoric car.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by EceSSiveMod
wouldnt recomend it, who knows were gm will be in a year
That won't affect any purchases made now, its all an agreement and cannot be changed. It would only affect repairs or repalcement parts, but thats also something they have to keep up for a ceratin period after you purchase, thats what the warrenty is. They have to abide by that or its illegal.

I say GO FOR IT!

Get the financing YOU can afford don't listne to anybosdy else, plan out your monthly income and see hwo much extra you will have to pay other bills, food, spare money, etc. after oyu car payment and insurance.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
canada is expensive on cars huh?
Old 11-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmys2007CobaltSS/C
canada is expensive on cars huh?
different currency
Old 11-23-2008, 05:16 PM

Hey

Well the car is $28891 for 60 months @ 1.9% or $28441 for 72 months @ 8.7% as you get $5000 off if you go with a 72 month finance.

I am wanting to go for it but the $4500 down sucks and you need atleast that down to buy the car. I am not worried about GM going away as the government isn't going to let that happen, who do you think builds cars for the army etc?

If I could get the $458 for 72 months with $200 down, I would have bought the car yesterday. I also have to sell my 06 Civic privately as they offered me $12k for it boo
Old 11-23-2008, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say go for it. Even if GM disappears someone will still be required by law to provide parts and honor the warranty.

I love my 08 SS/TC. My only complaint is my sunroof makes a whistling noise on the highway now that its cold. It didn't do that before. When I get the oil changed I'll have that looked at.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:21 PM

Hey

Well the car is $28891 for 60 months @ 1.9% or $28441 for 72 months @ 8.7% as you get $5000 off if you go with a 72 month finance.

I am wanting to go for it but the $4500 down sucks and you need atleast that down to buy the car. I am not worried about GM going away as the government isn't going to let that happen, who do you think builds cars for the army etc?

If I could get the $458 for 72 months with $200 down, I would have bought the car yesterday. I also have to sell my 06 Civic privately as they offered me $12k for it boo
hmmm that's weird, i'm not sure why u are unable to get the same rate i got, and i only put the $200 down, tho i had a co-sign from my dad just to ensure everything went thru.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by 1WhiteSSTC
hmmm that's weird, i'm not sure why u are unable to get the same rate i got, and i only put the $200 down, tho i had a co-sign from my dad just to ensure everything went thru.
My credit is good so it not that reason, its just that GM doesn't do leases anymore and now to finance the car, something about 105% I never understood it but its a minimum down payment needed to buy a car which is weird. Maybe I can try a new dealer
Old 11-24-2008, 12:35 AM

GM isnt going down. They are like the largest car producer in the US. If we can spend 700 billion on banks and ****, we can spend 10 billion on GM. **** all this imported ****, help out an american company that makes american cars and employs american people. If GM went down soo many poeple would lose their job. At the plant, at the dealers. Theres no way they would let it happen
Old 11-24-2008, 07:16 AM

Buy it and don't look back, except to see what car you just blew away haha. About the big wing...I have read a lot negative about it too, like it's drag, etc....but how often are you at 140mph+? Plus I think it really balances out the lines of the car, Besides, the low wing looks so, umm, ( I hate to say it, but it's true) rental car. Only my opinion.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:27 AM

Test drive the TC and throw it through some corners. Its not just a 40 roll troll, its a great all around car. I love it. Very smooth and refined.

As far as the high rise , I had one on my SC and it just drew in all the ricers and attracted the wrong attention. You don't need to have a high rise wing to look mean, and it's ricy. But then I am in my early 30's. I would predict that the younger the SC owner the more favorable the big wing is. And theres nothing wrong with that I must add.
To each their own, but I would much rather put the money into limited slip diff, perf display, or hahn charge piping. Also it's gets annoying to look out the back and see the thing vibrating away.

I would go after the TC, best bang for buck.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:24 AM

I have driven it a few times and I do like it but I love the torque. Right now I have a Civic so the tourque just isn't there. Plus this car has everything I want and is very much in my price range. Brembo's, turbo is what I want and the only other car I can think of is a STI.

Well I am going to call another dealer today and see whats what. I have my car up for sale bu no bites, I have it priced lower then everybody elses car but still nothing.

As for the wing, I am not sure about it. Seems like its a desired taste, I could live without it I think.

Thanks again
Old 11-24-2008, 09:37 AM

god i can wait to get mine. less then a month tell i get back. i was woundering can u still order from the factory?? this is my first "new" car so dont know how that works. thax
Old 11-24-2008, 09:41 AM

They usually order it from the factory only when they cannot find the exact car at any dealer. If they do have to do a factory order, it usually takes a few months
Old 11-24-2008, 09:44 AM

thax. i have waited 11 months whats a fuw more. plus it will let me save some more $$.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:32 PM

lol 11 months is a long time but I am sure it will be worth it for you
Old 11-24-2008, 05:49 PM

Haha I went from an 06 Si to my TC, have not missed the Si one bit. I must be young at heart, I'm 47 and like the high wing lol. I have heard people say they see it vibrating though, mine seems rock solid. Anyway, to each their own. It's a great car!!

Quick Reply: Thinking about a Cobalt SS/TC