Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10-ss-turbocharged-general-discussion-152/)
-   -   to those that are selling there balts for a EVO/STI/S2K/ETC! (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10-ss-turbocharged-general-discussion-152/those-selling-there-balts-evo-sti-s2k-etc-268980/)

TommyP 01-08-2012 05:35 AM

I have no regrets selling my car

also Evo IX > Evo X

TommyP 01-08-2012 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by damastah (Post 6259608)

ohh yeaaa, and thats not the evo 10, its the mr edition...

it's the Evo X MR... the one with the tap shifters

Blowncavy 01-08-2012 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by whyyoumadson? (Post 6259142)
you shouldnt compare the inside of a cobalt to an evo because other then nicer seats the evo is a pile of shit inside unless you get an evo 10. an sti is the whole package, interior, exterior, suspension, the whole thing. the lnf cobalts are the best bang for the buck if you really wanna get down to business.

Thisssss

AARON-SS-TC 01-08-2012 10:50 AM

the only $30k used car i would let my SS go for is a 335i, g37s, 370z, camaro ss/rs...
but in all honesty, those cars are so flippin heavy, that i probably wouldnt enjoy driving it as much as my car...which leads me to only the 370z, or corvette would be more fun to drive...

Shanedude 01-08-2012 01:34 PM

Sometimes it's not about power. It's about growing up and driving a more mature car with some status. Sure an SS/TC will get some looks, possibly a "nice car bro" if they know what an SS/TC is cabale of. If you're in say an STI, people will know you've got cash, and they know you're fast right outta the box. Also the AWD is a huge factor aswell, especially with kids coming in the next 5ish years.

I think most SS/TC owners just like being the under-dog and having that wtf factor added in. Nothing negative ment about it, I wanted that with my last car a supercharged sunfire, basically a 450lb lighter SS/SC, It was fun for awile but I'd always have to race someone to prove the car was fast, taking the chance of gettting caught by police. I find myself having to do that with the SS/TC aswell, just not as much as before. Maybe if the little turbo sticker on the rear was bigger more people would know about the turbo balts :p:

Best bang for the buck is what I tell people when they ask why I bought my Cobalt.

whyyoumadson? 01-08-2012 01:38 PM

i like the comment if you buy an sti people think you have cash... its all about the image really... if your a younger guy with an sti people look at you like mommy and daddy bought the car.

local kid with a 780awhp talon tsi daddy built and bought... kid doesnt know shit about the car. cant even drive it right.

damastah 01-08-2012 05:34 PM

yea i agree with you shane. today i was with about 40 ppl, and we were driving to philly. there is this 3 mile long straight road going there... and on the way there we were pairing up to see who was going with who...

and i called the mercedes e55 amg out... i told them im going to lose, and when he was following me i said i was scared, its like a trex following me... we did 2 pulls, first 40-130, second, 50-120. both times i got him

i was VERY surprised myself... he said he was flooring it the whole time...

everybody said i would lose... no body had my back... so yea i feel you... no one has respects for the cobalt until you see the tail lights.....

but its all good tho... best sleeper status out there

eurochevy 01-08-2012 06:19 PM

well for one thats the cobalt SS/TC thats not allt he other cobalts so if you have a TC the only thing that would make u wanna change is the awd etc or whatever else..fwd is not fun and not practical in snowy conditions etc also most are coupes and its nice to have 4 dr, i have an sti now and i find it interesting how it lists the sti for all the sectors as a better sector time or same time as the TC but yet it finishesa total of 6 seconds slower in all the other areas outside of the sectors? don't really understand how thats really posisble to be honest, same goes for some other cars, s2000 as an example

AARON-SS-TC 01-08-2012 06:39 PM

Well, im 31 years old and have had many cars, and this car is on the cheap side as far as interior comfort and finish, but everything else is great in my opinion.
My point is that i would not trade a great tuner car for another tuner car thats MORE money.
Only cars that are worth it in my opinion have already been stated...

BooSSted 01-08-2012 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by hydroturboss (Post 6259156)
ya the acceleration was a let down and it was a brute to drive.......felt like i was driving a challenger......so in all honesty i don't know what else the evo has compared to the ss/tc
seats......engine(but i think the lnf could match it)......build quality?????

Oh i know......4 doors

awd

MastaShaKe_88 01-08-2012 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by TommyP (Post 6259985)
I have no regrets selling my car

also Evo IX > Evo X

Why?

TommyP 01-08-2012 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by MastaShaKe_88 (Post 6260800)
Why?

little bit lighter, faster, quicker steering. At least it certainly feels like it. Evo X feels too "refined" Doesn't have the same feeling of raw speed and precision. 9 has a larger aftermarket

Don't get me wrong, the X is a much higher "quality" car, but it just doesn't have the same feel.

MastaShaKe_88 01-08-2012 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by TommyP (Post 6260803)
little bit lighter, faster, quicker steering. At least it certainly feels like it. Evo X feels too "refined" Doesn't have the same feeling of raw speed and precision. 9 has a larger aftermarket

Don't get me wrong, the X is a much higher "quality" car, but it just doesn't have the same feel.

no, I get you.. I've seen that a lot tho.. but Just as much as I've seen that the 8>9.. I figured it was just a fanboy thing.. I've never owned or driven a.... good evo? lol The only ones I messed with were Evo X's an there was somethin jacked up with all of em.. usually the trans was shot or on its way :thumbsdow

whyyoumadson? 01-08-2012 07:41 PM

they build quality in the evo 9 is better too right down to the stupid things like the clutch slave. metal vs the evo x is plastic. they make a conversion kit for the evo x.

also the evo x has 1 provision to mount an engine holder where as the evo 8 and 9 have 2. makes it a lot easier for doing a clutch .

casionerd 01-08-2012 08:35 PM

Always been a fan of the 06 Evo VIII RS. Stripped down to the basics.

damastah 01-08-2012 09:21 PM

evo 9, with 4gs, can make 400+whp. almost 500whp.

evo 9 with cheap mods can be pretty fast.

Dart_SI 01-08-2012 09:25 PM

personally after i pay off the balt (not getting rid of it) im pretty much smitten with getting a c5z06. or possibly just a regular c5 and build the crap out of it.

08SSTCRD 01-08-2012 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by chris88z24 (Post 6259144)
People are selling these cars because they fall apart after driving them for a relatively short period of time.

And you obviously have no idea what you are taking about.

My friends STi has so far needed 2 power steering pumps, a radiator (end tank cracked, like all jap rads), rear strut mounts, a stereo headunit, a turbocharger, valve cover gaskets, an oil pan gasket, a timing belt & water pump job which was over $1,200, rear axle nuts, shifter bushings, and an entire exhaust.

My '08 SS has needed a valve cover gasket (covered under the 100K warranty).

The Evo is even worse. At least Subaru tries to make a good car even if they aren't that good, Mitsubishi couldn't give less of a shit what they build as long as they sell.

In other words, you are a clueless fanboy idiot.

Try learning something before you open your mouth, you obviously have the experience and education of a 1st grader.

08SSTCRD 01-08-2012 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by damastah (Post 6261040)
evo 9, with 4gs, can make 400+whp. almost 500whp.

evo 9 with cheap mods can be pretty fast.

And then they start getting blowby and end up coming apart. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Thats a ton of stress on the motor, at that power level they only tend to last a couple oil changes at best.

Mark Aubele 01-08-2012 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by eurochevy (Post 6260744)
, i have an sti now and i find it interesting how it lists the sti for all the sectors as a better sector time or same time as the TC but yet it finishesa total of 6 seconds slower in all the other areas outside of the sectors?

The STi was actually quicker in 3 of the 5 sectors by a small amount, the Cobalt was significantly quicker in 1 and slightly quicker in the other. The times given in the sectors don't even account for a third of the track. They just show the 5 parts of the track times in an attempt to show how the cars handle in different situations. Too lazy to look at the data for the other cars you referenced in detail (although the SS/TC is faster in a straight line than the S2000, I suspect a big difference in lap times just from that).

Mark Aubele 01-08-2012 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by 08SSTCRD (Post 6261096)
And then they start getting blowby and end up coming apart. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Thats a ton of stress on the motor, at that power level they only tend to last a couple oil changes at best.

We have a local hillclimb/autocross/track '03 Evo that has been at ~400 whp for years with no problems. Car gets raced every weekend in the summer, and has held together on the stock long block and trans somehow. Only thing he has had to change is the clutch. They can be made to last with a decent tune and good gas (like anything else). Thing has endured about a million 7K launches on 285 Hoosiers on the 2 step.

08SSTCRD 01-08-2012 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Aubele (Post 6261148)
We have a local hillclimb/autocross/track '03 Evo that has been at ~400 whp for years with no problems. Car gets raced every weekend in the summer, and has held together on the stock long block and trans somehow. Only thing he has had to change is the clutch. They can be made to last with a decent tune and good gas (like anything else). Thing has endured about a million 7K launches on 285 Hoosiers on the 2 step.

By the time you hit 350WHP in a 4G63, most have such bad blowby that you need to add oil weekly. Its not reliable at those power levels, period.

Mark Aubele 01-08-2012 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by 08SSTCRD (Post 6261166)
By the time you hit 350WHP in a 4G63, most have such bad blowby that you need to add oil weekly. Its not reliable at those power levels, period.

Ok. How did you arrive at this conclusion? Do you realize how many people are making WAY more than that reliably? Just seems like a ridiculous statement to make considering there are guys on this site doing it (local guy that posts here occasionally is running 10s on the stock long block, not the same guy I referenced above). At what point does the LNF produce blowby that is unacceptable to you? And why is the 4G63 singled out in your argument?

hydroturboss 01-08-2012 10:36 PM

indeed it has AWD over the SS/TC ..........BUT.........IT was a flop......complete ley down in every way, AWD or nothing, my FWD SS/TC could crush it so I ssk again..................

What does the EVO have(besides cool seats) that the SS/TC does not??????????

Mark Aubele 01-08-2012 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by hydroturboss (Post 6261194)
indeed it has AWD over the SS/TC ..........BUT.........IT was a flop......complete ley down in every way, AWD or nothing, my FWD SS/TC could crush it so I ssk again..................

What does the EVO have(besides cool seats) that the SS/TC does not??????????

Evo was a flop? Hilarious. Visit an autocross or racetrack sometime.