08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Water under back seat

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water under back seat

I removed my back seat to route some speaker wires for my new stereo and I noticed that the area directly underneath the passenger back seat is wet. The matting is saturated and so it the bottom of the seat foam. It's very strange because it's only wet at the bottom and not around the sides. I would think if my sunroof or window was leaking, there would be a path that shows where the water entered but everything else around the spot is completely dry. See the picture.

Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe whatever the plastic cap is in the second picture is letting water in from below? Does anyone know what that cap is for?

I appreciate any help!
Old 04-02-2017, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
That little silver cover is the fuel pump wiring. Could be leaking through that.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:10 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Could be a a ton of different things. That water could of pooled there a long time ago and just hasn't dried.

Check the sunroof, All the seam sealer over joints, Have you had a window replaced or removed for paint?, Missing gromets? Leaking through clips or lights that were installed without the proper seal.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It could be the fuel pump seal. I've never had the windows removed or had any panels replaced. I did a quick once over of the sunroof and the area surrounding the wet spot and I'm almost 100% convinced it's gotta be coming from below somehow. There is absolutely nothing else wet in the car. You would think that if it was coming from the side or above that there would be evidence of water somewhere else. I think I may try and prove that theory by putting some plastic down under the matting and see if that prevents mat getting wet. It's not going to rain for a while so I might wash the car tomorrow and see if I can get the water to show up. Thanks for the recommendations.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:59 AM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Ive been having a leakage problem on my a pillars and c pillars. Common concensus is it's the sunroof drains being plugged and probably the seal isn't as good overwhelming the plugged drains.

Back seat gets wet and trunk under the back seat.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
There are rubber plugs in the floor , don't know if any on back seat , but check that one didn't come out