08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

What a difference a Block Heater makes on these cars..

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a difference a Block Heater makes on these cars..

I gotta say, installing the Ecotec block heater on the LNF engine block sure makes a difference when starting up in the morning. Less RPM fluctuation at startup and a much faster warm up. As mentioned in other threads, you need to shave a slight amount of aluminum off the heater in order to get it to fit, but that took only a few minutes.

It is exactly the same heater I installed on my 06 SS/SC when I had it.

It was -10C last night, and my coolant temp reading was +18C when I started it up this morning. I know -10C is not that cold, but I firmly believe these engines benefit from it.

regards,
Old 02-04-2010, 12:49 PM

I read in CAA magasine that the benefits are really above what ppl think .. your gas consumption will go down as well...
Old 02-04-2010, 01:17 PM

Do you by chance have a part number for that thing? I've wanted one since I got this car.

One question I do have is...did it shorten/lessen the deafeningly loud cat warm-up mode?
Old 02-04-2010, 01:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It was 47 degrees in Austin, last night. BRRRRRRrrrrrrr!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by jpower102
I read in CAA magasine that the benefits are really above what ppl think .. your gas consumption will go down as well...

You are right, you do not need to idle as long to let the car warm up. I find these cars run like crap when you first start the engine.

This helps big time
Old 02-04-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by 05BlackSS
You are right, you do not need to idle as long to let the car warm up. I find these cars run like crap when you first start the engine.

This helps big time
Seriously...part number...do it
Old 02-04-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetsandman
Do you by chance have a part number for that thing? I've wanted one since I got this car.

One question I do have is...did it shorten/lessen the deafeningly loud cat warm-up mode?

Here is the part #

I see you have the muffler delete so I am not sure how it effects the loud cat warm up. I have the stock exhaust/muffler and I really do not hear any difference in terms of noise at start up
Old 02-04-2010, 01:44 PM

This helps big time
Jason, just a heads up on your TC. It's not just the cold, even in the Spring/Summer you're going to find the TC is touchy especially during break-in when first starting it. With 18,000km on mine now the morning start is butter smooth even when -20 but I'm sure a block heater is still a huge help!
Old 02-04-2010, 01:44 PM

Here is the part #

I see you have the muffler delete so I am not sure how it effects the loud cat warm up. I have the stock exhaust/muffler and I really do not hear any difference in terms of noise at start up
Oh well anything would help...even the slightest bit...with no cats and no muffler...a cold start easily awakens anyone sleeping withing a 6 block radius.

But it sounds **** when it's warmed up
Old 02-04-2010, 01:48 PM

where does this go exactly? the pic i saw of it looks funky i dunno and what are you shaving the aluminum to clear?
Old 02-04-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by fredds-turbaltSS
where does this go exactly? the pic i saw of it looks funky i dunno and what are you shaving the aluminum to clear?

Ok, I will try to describe this as best as possible. First, the car MUST be up on a lift....no question.

Ok, once you get the heater, you will see it. It is basically 2 long prongs coming out of a squareish aluminum block then bolts right on the the back of the engine...there is a hole and a notch that it fits in to. Now...it sits DIRECTLY below and to the side of the exhaust manifold. The exhaust manifold HEAT SHIELD is whats in the way....You need to file/shave off a few cm's of the aluminum on the block heater itself to clear the exhaust manifold heat shield...once you do that, it will slide right in, tighten the bolt, run the electrical wire to the top of the engine and route it accordingly.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:16 PM

how exactly does this work? do the prongs go into the coolant or it just heats up the block itself? do you set how often it heats or??
Old 02-04-2010, 02:26 PM

how exactly does this work? do the prongs go into the coolant or it just heats up the block itself? do you set how often it heats or??
The prongs go into a metal square block of aluminum that has a bolt attached to it.

Nothing goes into the actual coolant itself...This block heater attaches itself to the block.....aluminum on aluminum.....

When you put the part # into google and search for images....A block heater comes up...but it looks different.

I got mine for like 45 bucks canadian...they are cheap, just order one and see..
Old 02-04-2010, 03:15 PM

The prongs go into a metal square block of aluminum that has a bolt attached to it.

Nothing goes into the actual coolant itself...This block heater attaches itself to the block.....aluminum on aluminum.....

When you put the part # into google and search for images....A block heater comes up...but it looks different.

I got mine for like 45 bucks canadian...they are cheap, just order one and see..
Do you by chance have a pic of what yours looks like? Cuz this is that part number under CrateEngineDepot...or is it the same as this?

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...roduct_ID=3902

My dealer seemed a bit confused by the whole thing when he looked up the part because he said most heaters just hook to the dip stick or something?? But he said this one doesn't look difficult and that they would either charge me an hour $89 or half of that if they get it done quickly...Do you think they will make a big deal about having to shave the aluminum down or should I do that myself ahead of time?
Old 02-04-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetsandman
Do you by chance have a pic of what yours looks like? Cuz this is that part number under CrateEngineDepot...or is it the same as this?

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...roduct_ID=3902

My dealer seemed a bit confused by the whole thing when he looked up the part because he said most heaters just hook to the dip stick or something?? But he said this one doesn't look difficult and that they would either charge me an hour $89 or half of that if they get it done quickly...Do you think they will make a big deal about having to shave the aluminum down or should I do that myself ahead of time?

Ok, it looks nothing like the one in that photo.. The part # is correct, but when you get it, the 2 copper elements are much longer and go into an squareish aluminum block. The one you are seeing in the photo is more of a "frost plug circular" kinda thing and actually fits INTO the block. The cobalt one BOLTS to the exterior of the block. I sure wish I had a picture of this for you guys...I took it to my own personal mechanic to do and it took about an hour to install...that includes lifting the car up, sanding down a bit of the aluminum and installing it.

EDIT

Here is a picture of the back of a Turbo Ecotec engine

http://www.allcarnews.com/static/_im...ngine-2375.jpg

Now directly below the intake for the Turbocharger you will see 2 copper coloured elements coming out on an angle with a threaded end (where the electrical cord secures to)

THAT is the block heater and where it goes!

Jason
Old 02-05-2010, 08:01 PM

Pictures?
Old 02-07-2010, 12:36 PM

how fast will this kill your battery if your car sits for a few days?
Old 02-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
how fast will this kill your battery if your car sits for a few days?
won't kill the battery at all considering you plug the heater into a 120Vac wall socket
Old 10-14-2013, 02:00 PM

Bump due to the season, just used this thread as a reference and ordered up my block heater.

Will try and document how much needs to be shaved off for the LNF and where.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:43 PM

ohh block heater sounds like a good idea.... if only i didnt park in the street -_- and this also raises an issue... if you start it and gently move the car, say into a driveway the thing sounds like its going to die off while its warming up, but once warm nothing is acting strange...
Old 10-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
^^ Wait, what??
Old 10-14-2013, 05:19 PM

okay so when i start my car and then goto pull it in the driveway to fully warm up it sounds funny, like the rpms jump around instead of staying steady....
Old 10-14-2013, 05:39 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenySC2
okay so when i start my car and then goto pull it in the driveway to fully warm up it sounds funny, like the rpms jump around instead of staying steady....
Yes if you drive the LNF before cat warm up mode is over you will likely get fluctuation in RPM and sound like crap.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
What's it like on your hydro bill plugged in over night versus the extra gas you burn warming it up for 3 to 4 mins before driving off.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:41 PM
Banned

Meanwhile i have no heat besides the seats. Python 991 ftw

Quick Reply: What a difference a Block Heater makes on these cars..