08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

What to request fixed under warranty service

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 09:33 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
What to request fixed under warranty service

Hey guys. I've had my 09 SS since September (5500 miles now) and it's developed a number of minor issues. I was going to take the car to the dealer to get a few things looked at under warranty. I just wanted to know how common some of these are and what to expect from the dealer.

My clutch pedal squeaks, feels like in needs to be lubricated, my sun roof rattles, the suspension creeks and groans over bumps when cold outside (<30F), there's a creaking noise from the lower left side of my windshield you hear at 60mph+, very annoying.

Aside from the sunroof rattle, are any of these fairly common? The one that concerns me the most is the noise from the windshield, it just doesn't sound good at all...
Old 12-25-2009, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ummmmmm, that's what a warranty is for.

However........... Depending on the assholiness of your dealer's service department, they may just give you the "it's a Cobalt" answer and be gone. Warranty chassis lubrication jobs pay nothing, so they may claim they can't bill it under warranty and sucker you into paying for the job (which is billed at a much higher rate than GM pays, BTW).
Old 12-25-2009, 09:48 AM

most of the issues you have are common issues amongst all cobalts, and will likely never be fixed properly.. in the end, even the SS is an econobox
Old 12-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get used to it, it's a cobalt
Old 12-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NickD
Hey guys. I've had my 09 SS since September (5500 miles now) and it's developed a number of minor issues. I was going to take the car to the dealer to get a few things looked at under warranty. I just wanted to know how common some of these are and what to expect from the dealer.

My clutch pedal squeaks, feels like in needs to be lubricated, my sun roof rattles, the suspension creeks and groans over bumps when cold outside (<30F), there's a creaking noise from the lower left side of my windshield you hear at 60mph+, very annoying.

Aside from the sunroof rattle, are any of these fairly common? The one that concerns me the most is the noise from the windshield, it just doesn't sound good at all...
all VERY common, and probably won't get fixed. Remember that this is a cheap car that people buy mainly for the performance aspects. I'd be more surprised if someone DIDN'T have any funky, un-identifiable sounds coming from their car lol. If you are looking for build quality, this is not the car for you
Old 12-25-2009, 10:05 AM
Banned

i would address all the issues. hopefulley you get luckey and they get fixed.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:43 AM

i do not drive an SS but ive come to grips with all the squeaks, groans, and rattles that my cobalt makes.

i know that the only time my Exploder made noises like my cobalt was when my suspension was about to fall apart.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:48 AM

Even if this all was to be fixed under warranty...9 times out of 10, most of the issues will come back....why? well, these are still common issues with cobalts, with hardly updated parts
Old 12-25-2009, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by TCguy
Even if this all was to be fixed under warranty...9 times out of 10, most of the issues will come back....why? well, these are still common issues with cobalts, with hardly updated parts
sadly he is correct. unless its something seriously malfunctioning in the motor GM is not likely to have completely fixed the problem. sure they may give you some new parts, but guess what will happen like 2 months after you get those new parts. the same problem. lol
Old 12-25-2009, 12:02 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for the heads up guys. I just wanted to make sure the things I was hearing weren't anything seriously wrong. I expected some rattles and what-not. Overall the car drives and runs great. Just wanted to make sure these things weren't a cause for concern.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:02 PM

Is your steering column making any clunking noises?

Are your rear brakes grinding/grooving/squeaking?
Old 12-25-2009, 12:16 PM

Welcome to owning a throw away car.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:17 PM

Clunks and groans when the car is cold, <30*F, are very common among all cars. When components are cold, they don't move very well. Ever see how thick motor oil is at those temperatures? Well the oil in the shocks is the same way. Cars make a lot of funny odd noises when cold and usually only when it's cold. Just ignore those.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The suspension creak in cold weather, clutch pedal squeak, and interior rattles are sadly all completely normal.

If I wanted quality, I'd have bought a Honda.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Force
If I wanted quality, I'd have bought a Cadillac.
fixed
Old 12-26-2009, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by gatekeeper
Ummmmmm, that's what a warranty is for.

However........... Depending on the assholiness of your dealer's service department, they may just give you the "it's a Cobalt" answer and be gone. Warranty chassis lubrication jobs pay nothing, so they may claim they can't bill it under warranty and sucker you into paying for the job (which is billed at a much higher rate than GM pays, BTW).
Do you think a chassis lubrication would help? If so I may do this myself I think I have a grease gun kicking around somewhere.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:36 PM

Their is nothing on your car suspension wise that is greaseable. No fittings
Old 12-27-2009, 03:04 AM

took my car in for the clutch squeaking they lubed it up 4 days later squeaks again, as for my sunroof it whistles and leaks air they said they adjusted it but i could still hear it, my suspension creaks when its not cold out, havent thought about havign it looked it but might on my next trip in. hopefully getting yours fixed will only take 1 visit. i am going for the 2nd time this week to have the stuff fixed and if they cant fix it this time then they can take thecar back. i pay too damn much a month for **** to be messing up already i bought it in sept.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:05 PM

I have 2,000 miles on mine and the rear rotors are getting some nasty wear compared to the fronts which still look new. I am taking it in this week to have them looked at and also for the charge pipe fix. Other than that mine has performed great. In freezing temps the shocks seem to freeze so it will bottom out on bumps until everything heats up then its fine.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:14 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
I own an 09 as well

Yep it creaks like a **** in the deep cold.

Yep the sun roof creaks when cold.

Yep the brakes are squeaky as hell when stopping and cold out.

Yep it is a Cobalt.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by NickD

The suspension thing is common ... I've had a Saturn Ion Quad Coupe that did it .. a G5 GT as well and my Cbalt now does it too ... I've had the clutch thing too but it stopped after a while
Old 12-29-2009, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by sdlemaster
I have 2,000 miles on mine and the rear rotors are getting some nasty wear compared to the fronts which still look new. I am taking it in this week to have them looked at and also for the charge pipe fix. Other than that mine has performed great. In freezing temps the shocks seem to freeze so it will bottom out on bumps until everything heats up then its fine.
Thankfully my dealership is working with me on getting my rotors and rear pads replaced under warranty. They said that they found no defect in the rear braking system and they are going to fix it as an act of goodwill - LOL!! Stupid GM.

My charge pipe broke under 1k miles and I got it fixed with the new bolt/washer GM is using now. No problems since that got fixed.

My sunroof is noisy.

Passenger window switch works at random.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Force
The suspension creak in cold weather, clutch pedal squeak, and interior rattles are sadly all completely normal.

If I wanted quality, I'd have bought a Honda.
This makes me laugh considering all the problems Honda has been having with the new SI's. They can't even keep transmissions in them, they start grinding within a few thousand miles after being replaced. They have tons of issues that Honda won't even address, check out the 8thgen Civic forums.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by 08SSTCRD
This makes me laugh considering all the problems Honda has been having with the new SI's. They can't even keep transmissions in them, they start grinding within a few thousand miles after being replaced. They have tons of issues that Honda won't even address, check out the 8thgen Civic forums.
I've driven Hondas before too, and I have no clue where the "quality" is that people claim..
Acura, maybe, Honda... no?
Old 12-30-2009, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^ x2

Quick Reply: What to request fixed under warranty service