08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

What would you offer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you offer?

I've been looking at some leftover '08 SS coupes at dealerships across the country. Some dealerships have anywhere from 6 to 15 in stock, all around 100 miles, with prices ranging from $16000's at one dealership to around $18000 at others. From what I've been told by the various salespeople is that they "got a great deal" on them in some GM "special factory purchase" last summer.

Given that they are '08's and that auto sales are pretty bad in this economy, what would you have as your starting offer on one of these?
Old 02-25-2009, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know really. I just know that I paid considerably more for my 2009. Then again, it is hard for me to judge because I purchased mine before the economic collapse...
Old 02-25-2009, 02:35 PM

dude you can get an 08 ss/tc for 18k in my area theres two different ones... one red and one yellow both under 100 miles
Old 02-25-2009, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by MapOfTaziFoSho
I don't know really. I just know that I paid considerably more for my 2009. Then again, it is hard for me to judge because I purchased mine before the economic collapse...
Im just sayin, if you were in my shoes, what would you start out at? Im not really in any rush, but want to take advantage of the fact that they are 08's (when 2010 models will be rolling out in just few months) and we're in a terrible economy.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:51 PM

go to a local dealer and check the price. offer like 2 grand less, and because GM is in the ******* they'll try to work with you to get that car off the lot. probably for about 750 more than what you offered. you can even try lower than 2 lower, but they may just say bye
Old 02-25-2009, 02:59 PM

My advice...

If they're down to $16~18K with very low mileage (i.e. less than 200), I'd check to make sure they hadn't been titled first and foremost. 2nd, they may be what dealerships consider 'demo' vehicles. So...basically, find out why the mileage is up there. If they're neither...just new cars that have been on a few test drives....then they probably won't budge more than $500~1,000 on the price. If they are, you might be able to shave $~1,000 or more off of what they're asking. Either way, I'd consider you lucky to get $1k off of 'em though.

Don't let 'em try to talk to you in terms of monthly payments (i.e. "What do you want your monthly payment to be?"). Don't think the first time he comes back from talking to the sales manager that he's coming back with the best price they can accomodate. Don't hesitate to leave if they seem unwilling to budge. AND make sure they give you 'out-the-door' numbers. I absolutely hate it when they start tacking on doc fees, registration fees, or I even once got the "oops I forgot to calc in taxes" excuse. Total BS if you ask me.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:23 PM

I paid $24k for mine. I would be pleased to get one for $19k! I can't believe they are that cheap..... I would consider yourself lucky and jump on the deal.

I keep seeing kids (around age 16) driving these cars around. I'm 24 and would like to feel like my car isn't something some punk kid could buy with his minimum wage job.... owell...

Good luck with your purchase!
Old 02-25-2009, 05:01 PM

ok here is the deal , there is not a lot of markup in these at the most is $2000 on a fully loaded so if there is a 2500 rebate then you find a base cobalt then your in the teen's!! in some cases there are dealerships that have coupons to put more discounts on what ever they want,they can use up to 2 = $1000

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
My advice...

If they're down to $16~18K with very low mileage (i.e. less than 200), I'd check to make sure they hadn't been titled first and foremost. 2nd, they may be what dealerships consider 'demo' vehicles. So...basically, find out why the mileage is up there. If they're neither...just new cars that have been on a few test drives....then they probably won't budge more than $500~1,000 on the price. If they are, you might be able to shave $~1,000 or more off of what they're asking. Either way, I'd consider you lucky to get $1k off of 'em though.

Don't let 'em try to talk to you in terms of monthly payments (i.e. "What do you want your monthly payment to be?"). Don't think the first time he comes back from talking to the sales manager that he's coming back with the best price they can accomodate. Don't hesitate to leave if they seem unwilling to budge. AND make sure they give you 'out-the-door' numbers. I absolutely hate it when they start tacking on doc fees, registration fees, or I even once got the "oops I forgot to calc in taxes" excuse. Total BS if you ask me.
yeah and its there fault that you think that dealers should pay for your taxes and registration ......

Last edited by SuperCelica00; 02-25-2009 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-25-2009, 05:05 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm thinking about offering whatever price they have and saying i want that price with TTL. That way I would be getting a decent deal and not low balling like crazy.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
I'm thinking about offering whatever price they have and saying i want that price with TTL. That way I would be getting a decent deal and not low balling like crazy.
hey pm me ill give you some info on the car YOU WANT!
Old 02-25-2009, 05:18 PM

Tell them you will give them $15,000. Low ball them. It doesn't hurt. All then can do is say no, but there is that chance that they might say yes. With the way the auto industry is right now, the consumer has the dealership by the *****. Don't be scared to start really low. Be stern and say that is all you want to pay. When you start to walk out the door (because they probably will say no) they will probably say well let me see what I can do. Or they will let you walk out and call you a day or two later. If they don't then pay a little more. At least you can say that you tried. I worked at a dealership and I saw this happen all the time. There is to many chevy dealerships out there not to low ball. It's not an exotic dealership. Chevys are everywhere.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:19 PM

Every dealer I called under $18k wouldn't budge even a dollar and all the trade offers were about $1000 less than book trade-in value.

I bought one nonetheless since it was still $6000 less than the lowest price I could get on a "new" one. Was able to get 3.99% from a national credit union.

I brought along a friend that ran a body shop and told him about the "wind damage" scenario. Given that information, he was able to find a couple spots where Paintless Dent Removal had been done. He told me it was probably from hail. You can barely, barely tell. I would have never noticed and I'm pretty picky.

Some telltale sings of PDR: look for loose trim. These cars don't have hood pads, but check for loose-fitting carpet in the trunk and loose trim pieces & headliner in the car itself.

Other than that, my car's paint was excellent except for, like someone else mentioned, a dealership employee going nuts with a buffer and no clay bar. That and one paint chip on the hood probably from a test drive.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by srowler9
Tell them you will give them $15,000. Low ball them. It doesn't hurt. All then can do is say no, but there is that chance that they might say yes. With the way the auto industry is right now, the consumer has the dealership by the *****. Don't be scared to start really low. Be stern and say that is all you want to pay. When you start to walk out the door (because they probably will say no) they will probably say well let me see what I can do. Or they will let you walk out and call you a day or two later. If they don't then pay a little more. At least you can say that you tried. I worked at a dealership and I saw this happen all the time. There is to many chevy dealerships out there not to low ball. It's not an exotic dealership. Chevys are everywhere.
^^^ If you want someone to talk you in to NOT buying a car listen to this guy^^^
Old 02-25-2009, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by SuperCelica00
^^^ If you want someone to talk you in to NOT buying a car listen to this guy^^^
wtf?
Old 02-25-2009, 06:13 PM

huh?.. can you explain?
Old 02-25-2009, 07:29 PM

well if your just trying to waist your time and there time and get pissed and **** them off, do what he tells you!!

My advice is to ask to see an invoice ,it will looks like a build sheet with all the options and pricing for all those options look at where it show
msrp cost
suplier cost
gms cost
and offer gms cost minus rebates and there you have the lowest price you can get anywhere also dont expect for them to pay for your tt&l cuz its not going to happen!!
at that there they will not lose money but they will brake pretty darn close after gas,detail,inspection and all that

Last edited by SuperCelica00; 02-25-2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-25-2009, 07:56 PM

I would concur with this. Even selling at GMS, the dealer will still get holdback.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:04 PM

I seen 2 that were offered in WI for 20k on the lot, found them searching for my son's soon to be car! edit: I bet I could get them down to atleast 19K....my 1st offer would be 18,500.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:23 PM

Guys, I hate to be rude, but these dealerships are already asking $16500... so saying what you paid for your car several months or a year ago doesnt seem all that relevant.. correct me if im wrong here.

Originally I was just asking what you would offer on one of these cars if you were me right now..

Last edited by AWatkins13; 02-25-2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-25-2009, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by AWatkins13
Guys, I hate to be rude, but these dealerships are already asking $16500... so saying what you paid for your car several months or a year ago doesnt seem all that relevant.. correct me if im wrong here.

Originally I was just asking what you would offer on one of these cars if you were me right now..
Did ya read my post I found them 2 days ago via Car Max!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by BlilBT
Did ya read my post I found them 2 days ago!
Yes, I read your post. Why would I offer 18.5 on one when they are already ASKING 16500 at another dealership? Your post seemed irrelevant. But thanks for the contribution!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by AWatkins13
Yes, I read your post. Why would I offer 18.5 on one when they are already ASKING 16500 at another dealership? Your post seemed irrelevant. But thanks for the contribution!
Well if you can get for that & I found them still listing for 20k then you are getting a hell of a deal. sounds relevant to me & I did alot of searching but whatever!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by BlilBT
Well if you can get for that & I found them still listing for 20k then you are getting a hell of a deal. sounds relevant to me & I did alot of searching but whatever!
Well, maybe if they sell all 7 (listed at $16.2 to $16.8) at one dealership and all 15 (listed at $18.5) at another dealership then the ones you found will be alot more relevant.

All Im asking here is what people would offer on an '08 SS coupe,with 100 miles or less on it, that the dealership is already asking $16500?
Old 02-25-2009, 09:54 PM

unless you want to look like a ******* then offer less then $16,200.
just to see what they tell you !

just to add to the story , a friend of mine went to a harly davison store and asked the salesman before buying a bike ''so how much will you come down on the price !'' and the salesman replied ''ha ask that again and ill add 2k to the price'' IRRELEVENT!!
Old 02-25-2009, 10:10 PM

unless you want to look like a ******* then offer less then $16,200.
just to see what they tell you !

just to add to the story , a friend of mine went to a harly davison store and asked the salesman before buying a bike ''so how much will you come down on the price !'' and the salesman replied ''ha ask that again and ill add 2k to the price'' IRRELEVENT!!
1. You act like them getting angry at an offer is a bad thing, as long as you are able to confront someone being angry at you then why is this a problem?

2. These vehicles have been sitting on the lot for 9 months and they have 7 and 15 '08 SS's respectively. I'm fairly certain these dealerships desperately need to move these vehicles (thus their incredibly low asking price). This is a total buyers market.

and as far as your harley story, you're right, that story was "IRRELEVENT." Its comparing apples and oranges.

Quick Reply: What would you offer?