08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.
View Poll Results: When was the last time you stalled your SS/TC ?
Today
5.33%
1 or 2 days ago
5.33%
Within the past week
8.00%
Within the past month
37.33%
Neva ! Teh LNF cannot be stalled by mere mortals !
44.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

When is the last time you stalled the car ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy When is the last time you stalled the car ?

GRRR !! This clutch is so tempermental, and w/ no low end torque ala a V8, just when I think I am an eggspurt, I get knocked off my high horse by my LNF bee-yotch !

So, a poll : When is the last time you stalled your rig ?

Answer for me - about a 1/2 hour ago in the Wendy's parking lot, dammit !

After 6 months and 6800 miles, I can NLS , go up & down w/o the clutch ( most of the time ) so if I get this licked, I am golden !

It's always the same - taking off at idle, think the clutch is fully engaged and she's ready to go, and whumpf ! Stall City. Clean, no bucking, no jerking, just dead.

I know I am not the only one - right ?

Britt
Old 11-23-2009, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never have.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:18 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
the weather is lame here now so I only take it out when its sunny, and its been few and far between so backing it out of the driveway I stalled it a week ago hahah. Meh it happens.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:26 PM

Never, my 2.2 was my first manual transmission so it saw a fair number until I got the hang of it. Never stalled the TC though I know multiple people that have worked on my car have. When I drove off the dealership they were expecting me to stall out, they told me it was tempermental; to their surprise I just drove away .
Old 11-23-2009, 02:33 PM

I ran out to start the car up to warm it up in the morning. I didn't take it out of gear when I lifted my foot off the clutch. Other than that I stalled once in the first day of owning it.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:34 PM

Anyone who says they have never stalled in a manual is full of crap. It happens, I wouldn't sweat it. I tend to stall ( or nearly stall) if I'm not paying attention while sitting at a red light, and get caught off guard when it turns green. I'm like "O crap" *stall*
Old 11-23-2009, 03:54 PM

I didn't vote...I think it's been 3 months or so. Killed it two or three times when I first got it, but very rarely since.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:06 PM

Today cuz it was raining and my feet got wet and when my feet are wet I either give too much rpms or too little. Felt weird tho since I havent stalled in a while. Or when I wear dress shoes I would stall once in a great moon.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:06 PM

It's been a while, but when I do stall it sounds horrible. I always feel like something broke. More motivation not to I guess.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:22 PM

Never with this car. Been driving stick for a while though. But I must say the clutch in this thing is ridiculously touchy.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by deerhuntr88
Anyone who says they have never stalled in a manual is full of crap. It happens, I wouldn't sweat it. I tend to stall ( or nearly stall) if I'm not paying attention while sitting at a red light, and get caught off guard when it turns green. I'm like "O crap" *stall*
True, but the question pretains to "your car" as in "current vehicle"; I've come close at the green light when ur not paying attention as well starts banging around pretty good, give 'er more gas and take off like a retard "Yes ladies and gentlemen I drive standard every day....nothing to see here"
Old 11-23-2009, 04:27 PM

Ive been driving stick since my first car (13 vehicles ago) and this one is by far the trickiest clutches.. One of my favorite things to do is to get one of my friends to drive the car, and no matter how experienced they are.. stall .

I rarely stall this one now that I'm used to the clutch, but this would be a horrible car to learn to drive stick on. I stalled it quite a bit in the first month or two after I got it, either that or took off like a bat out of hell (without meaning to.. oh hi turbo!).
Old 11-23-2009, 04:28 PM

I learned how to drive a 5 speed when I was stationed in Korea in a Kia minivan thing. I loved it and I've always loved the cobalt. So when I came home in December I bought my car. It was WAY different so I stalled it a few times in the snow. Then other than that I stalled it the other day when I had my wheels powdercoated the guy left my car and gear and i dropped the clutch and stalled. Haven't sense though
Old 11-23-2009, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by IsItFast?
Ive been driving stick since my first car (13 vehicles ago) and this one is by far the trickiest clutches.. One of my favorite things to do is to get one of my friends to drive the car, and no matter how experienced they are.. stall .

I rarely stall this one now that I'm used to the clutch, but this would be a horrible car to learn to drive stick on. I stalled it quite a bit in the first month or two after I got it, either that or took off like a bat out of hell (without meaning to.. oh hi turbo!).
The clutch is more ornery during its break-in period, that's when I had the most trouble with near stalls and the aforementioned smoking the tires off a red light. As it has broken in I find it's less ornery now that it's broken in but I agree this would not be a good car to learn on.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:39 PM

I stalled probably 20 times the first day I had the car. I was learning how to drive stick on it pretty much aside from driving friends' cars every once in a while. I'm now a pro and haven't stalled in months besides the occasional forgetting to take it out of gear when you're parked. Which sucks ass if there's people around.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:44 PM

Maybe th SS Clutch is trickier, but I don't find the LS to be the least bit abnormal. Like I said, I've stalled when not paying attention before, but that was me being stupid, not having problems working the clutch.

I'd like to drive an SS once and feel the difference myself...

I learned how to drive a stick in an old honda civic. We have a steep gravel hill on the private road my parents live on. I started out on a flat surface (gravel) and when we got to the middle of the pretty steep hill, mom says "turn off the car". It took a few trips back up the hill, but now I can be on the steepest of hills and not even roll backwards or spin. My old Dakota and now my Cobalt was/is a stick and I don't ever want to buy an automatic. Love it.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Banned

maybe once every three months....usually think im in 1st and try to pull out but im in 3rd
Old 11-23-2009, 04:49 PM

This is a little off subject, but have you ever been behind someone after the light turns green and you can tell they are driving a stick and are bad at it? They go, *hold in the clutch for 3-5 seconds to shift*, speed up a little more some more *hold in the clutch for another 3-5 seconds to shift again* and so on until the next light. It bugs the crap out of me...
Old 11-23-2009, 05:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This is a little off subject, but have you ever been behind someone after the light turns green and you can tell they are driving a stick and are bad at it? They go, *hold in the clutch for 3-5 seconds to shift*, speed up a little more some more *hold in the clutch for another 3-5 seconds to shift again* and so on until the next light. It bugs the crap out of me...
You'll usually find that the driver is female.

*puts on flamesuit*

I have been driving a stick for over 20 years now and this clutch was the hardest stock clutch to get used to out of any car I've had. I had a puck-clutch in a Cobra back in 2004 that was way worse, though. No slip at all.

Last edited by SSlobalt; 11-23-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-23-2009, 05:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
this isnt everyones first car. never stalling a manual and never stalling THIS manual are different. Ive never stalled my GTO..but thats because i leanred on my friends mustang that i stalled plenty of times (and practiced on steve's cobalt..no stalls i can remember there either)
Old 11-23-2009, 05:32 PM

Stalled for the first time in over a year a couple weeks ago, sitting in traffic for almost 3 hours made my legs reeeally tired.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I haven't stalled in forever, maybe like a year? Knock on wood.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:36 PM

I have never stalled my 09 SS/TC. But my old 06 SS 2.4L (I learned how to drive stick on it), so yes I stalled out my old Cobalt.

You guys think this car can be stalled easily? Are you serious???? This is the easist car I have ever drove.

You want to know about stalling out? Try driving my 99 S-10 with the 5-speed & 2.2L. I need a new master cylinder, and the clutch pedal loses pressure randomly, so the clutch will start out firm, than you may have to push it all the way to the floor to shift it the next time.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:44 PM

how many of you have owned an ss/sc and switched to a ss/tc are the clutches that different? My ss/sc is my first stick its what i learned on and i was burning the tires off at every stop light for the first couple of weeks and would try to avoid hills and stop lights so i was wondering how to two compare or if one is better/worse then the other.

I've had my car since summer of 05 and still stale it at random times you just crank it back up and keep going but you still feel like a noob lol
Old 11-23-2009, 09:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've never had an issue with the TC's clutch... Then again, it is the first car I've owned. I stalled here and there when I first got it, but being the only manual (and car) I've had, I'm used to it.

Has to be said, though, that I always think "wow, this is braindead" when I drive other manual cars (Ford Focus, Saturn Astra, Nissan Sentra, Nissan Altima 3.5SE, etc.)

Quick Reply: When is the last time you stalled the car ?