08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Why no GM Employee Discount on SS/TC in Canada??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canada Why no GM Employee Discount on SS/TC in Canada??

I've searched online, i've talked to my salesman, and no-where, have i been able to find the GM Employee Discount on the SS/TC in Canada...........or on any car for that matter............wtf????
Old 09-11-2008, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm maybe its only in the US.... kinda wierd tho... bummer

btw did you already order it?
Old 09-11-2008, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by glen229
hmm maybe its only in the US.... kinda wierd tho... bummer

btw did you already order it?
sure did, i'm told end of this month i should be seeing it. none of the financing paperwork have been done up yet but from wat GMCanada's site says i'm lookin at 2.9% for 60months
Old 09-11-2008, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bluebaltsc
sure did, i'm told end of this month i should be seeing it. none of the financing paperwork have been done up yet but from wat GMCanada's site says i'm lookin at 2.9% for 60months
That finance rate is WAY better than anything here in the US.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by MapOfTaziFoSho
Not 0%!
Old 09-11-2008, 05:27 PM

i know many people who have gotten the employee discount. dont let them try and rip you off.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Frank2029
i know many people who have gotten the employee discount. dont let them try and rip you off.
up here in Canada?? on the ss/tc even an 09 model?? Please try and get me pictures or copies of these deals so i can show it to my dealership and tell them to stop fuking me around.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:40 PM

the most recent one i know of is a 07 SS SC. not the TC
Old 09-11-2008, 10:49 PM
Banned

Because You are buying a foreign car from a Foreign company. You shouldn't get GM Employee Discount. Sorry to be an ******* about it... but damn... Just because we border each other as countries....don't forget the fact that General Motors is an American company.. not Canadian.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:05 PM

How close are you to the border? Why not come down and buy the car is the usa? Thats a great interest rate though dont know if it will be hard to get that in usa
Old 09-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by audiophile64
How close are you to the border? Why not come down and buy the car is the usa? Thats a great interest rate though dont know if it will be hard to get that in usa
Customs bro DUTY TAXES etc O HIGH IMMA CROSS DA BRODER with a new car and not pay customs canadian tax cause you are taking possesion over the border and they will take your car you end up payin taxes twice unless you tell the dealer you live in montanna and they have 0% tax but they will catch you if it doesn't match up .
Old 09-11-2008, 11:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BowTieTillIdie
AMEN
huh?

we have gm dealerships here in canada you know. they have these things called employees in them. they get special pricing... it sometimes extends to the customer. it doesn't matter if it's a swedish or american or canadian company. damn. what ego-centric ignorance.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by FiscalFizz
Because You are buying a foreign car from a Foreign company. You shouldn't get GM Employee Discount. Sorry to be an ******* about it... but damn... Just because we border each other as countries....don't forget the fact that General Motors is an American company.. not Canadian.
GM has a large presence in Canada, its one of our biggest employers.
You realize the Camaro was built in Quebec and the new Camaro is going to be build in Ontario...

Customs bro DUTY TAXES etc O HIGH IMMA CROSS DA BRODER with a new car and not pay customs canadian tax cause you are taking possesion over the border and they will take your car you end up payin taxes twice unless you tell the dealer you live in montanna and they have 0% tax but they will catch you if it doesn't match up .
There is no duty on vehicles made in North America. There is a 6.1% otherwise. Also, if you are buying something in the US as a Canadian and bringing it into Canada, you do not pay sales tax in the USA. The only thing you have to pay is Canadian sales tax which you would have to pay regardless as to weather you bought the car in Canada or the US.

Last edited by davis98; 09-11-2008 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-11-2008, 11:25 PM

Three things to mention.

Because Canadians are gay. DUH
Firstly. **** you.

Originally Posted by MapOfTaziFoSho
Secondly, that's because a loaded 2.4 is almost $26k sticker here. We sure as heck better get some relief in the form of finance rates.

Thirdly, it'd be hilarious if the Canadians in Oshawa who built the Grand Prix, Impala/Monte, and the beloved new Camaro didn't get that discount. Cobalt? Peace out. Moving to Mexico. So you can give your "only Americans should get GM discounts" to the guy who has been working at Oshawa for 30 years.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by malachii
huh?

we have gm dealerships here in canada you know. they have these things called employees in them. they get special pricing... it sometimes extends to the customer. it doesn't matter if it's a swedish or american or canadian company. damn. what ego-centric ignorance.

I would also like to challenge your statement on a dealership employee receiving GENERAL MOTORS Employee Pricing.... Last I checked.... someone working at a Pontiac or Chevy dealership does not get paid by General Motors Corporation.

Fail? I believe so.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Acey
Three things to mention.

Firstly. **** you.

Secondly, that's because a loaded 2.4 is almost $26k sticker here. We sure as heck better get some relief in the form of finance rates.

Thirdly, it'd be hilarious if the Canadians in Oshawa who built the Grand Prix, Impala/Monte, and the beloved new Camaro didn't get that discount. Cobalt? Peace out. Moving to Mexico. So you can give your "only Americans should get GM discounts" to the guy who has been working at Oshawa for 30 years.

AMEN BRUDDA!

Some people need to think before they talk.... Many GM parts/accessories are made in Canada and Mexico because its cheaper than making it in the US... There is the "employee discount" sales occasionally, there is xmas sales and sale this sale that.... its great to know that some people think that we're all lumber jacks and curlers and still live out of igloos apparently.

Oh well... What you need to do is negotiate prior to buying from that specific dealer. Now if your custom ordering something from the factory, TYPICALLY they don't usually cut you a break on price/cost. Its all negotiation skills. If you didn't negotiate, you don't get the better deal.

Look forward to seeing your ride though!

And for all our friends to the south, keep in mind, wages are different up here... My $22/hour job is equivalent to a $15/hour job douth south... There is a 20-40% difference in price when your cross the border because we make 20-40% more based on cost of living.

I live near the border and I feel quite rich when I head into the US... So I tend to spend a fair amount accross the border... But I try to spend the equivalent to 50% or more of my purchases in Canada to help support the Canadian economy and market. Only my large ticket items do I typically head south or whenever I need something shipped to my house, I have it shipped to a friends place south of the border. In this case, even if he purchased the Cobalt in the US... when it comes accross the border, YES he would need to pay taxes but he would still save approx $4000-5000 even after taxes.

My ride was $17 000 for my base model G5/Pursuit... the equivalent in the US is $10 000-11 000... So I might have to pay $1200 in taxes when it comes accros & pay another $150 in inspection fees to assure it meets Canadian standards, but I would have still saved $5 000-$6 000.

Please don't bash unless you know the facts... thats just being ignorant.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:54 AM

this is why alot of people don't like Americans, because you are all full of yourselves. There are MANY cars built in Canada so it GM is such an American company they maybe they shouldn't be building cars here you morons. other ways of transportation like your rocketships for Nasa and some of your military planes are built here too. in case you were wondering.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would also like to challenge your statement on a dealership employee receiving GENERAL MOTORS Employee Pricing.... Last I checked.... someone working at a Pontiac or Chevy dealership does not get paid by General Motors Corporation.

Fail? I believe so.
I admit - you're right. I failed. Oops. However, the other poster did mention that GM oshawa employees get that pricing in Canada. Incidentally I happen to work with 2 of them on by baseball team.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:59 PM

Cauuuuuuse noone in the GM likes Canadians?
Old 09-12-2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by audiophile64
I've thought about that

Wow this turned into a horrid retarded bashing each other thread...........Moderators, pls clean this bullshit up, i'm not in appreciation of any of this, I'm looking for simple facts and so far only 1 person has made anything towards a decent post relating to my topic...........i could puke all over my own thread

Fail? I believe so.
worked at a dealership for 1 year watching about 10 people I met who worked there with me get Employee pricing, I even had my opportunity to get an ss/sc while i was there with the Employee pricing but decided i wasn't ready for new car at that point. Sooo......yea **** on that *******

Last edited by 1WhiteSSTC; 09-12-2008 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-12-2008, 04:09 PM

just so you know, americans cannot buy a car in canada and canadians cannot buy a car in the US unless you have a corresponding address. this is a GM contractual agreement between US GM and CA GM. FYI!
Old 09-12-2008, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cougarguy
just so you know, americans cannot buy a car in canada and canadians cannot buy a car in the US unless you have a corresponding address. this is a GM contractual agreement between US GM and CA GM. FYI!
kewl, that's good to know

Cougarguy, i'll let u know how my deal breaks down, i've also heard i might be able to grab the RPD unit still, i'm stoked for that, even in US units it's still a powerful unit for the ss/tc to have no matter where in the world you are

Last edited by 1WhiteSSTC; 09-13-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:09 PM

Go support another countries economy that wants to bomb you with nukes LOL moron ... The ignorance...
Ok Forrest, where the hell did this one come from? When did JAPAN want to bomb us with nukes?

What's funny is that Americans have stereotypes that Canadians live in igloos and all say eh?

Canadians have stereotypes that Americans are all inbred uneducated retards.

You seem to prove that stereotype quite well.

The irony...
Old 09-12-2008, 06:14 PM

the company also has plants here in Canada how the **** do you justify that stupid comment. Pull your head outta your ass before you talk. Also is called EMPLOYEE. I see TONS of gm dealers around and the people who work there are "employees"
Old 09-12-2008, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jackalope
Cauuuuuuse noone in the GM likes Canadians?
They like the cost of building cars here, hence Oshawa

Quick Reply: Why no GM Employee Discount on SS/TC in Canada??