08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Wind Damaged SS/TC

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That Would Be Great And If You Talk To Them About Buying The Car What Are Willing To Take The Price Down To. And What Kind Of Warranty They Would Offer As Well . Thanks Alot
Old 10-28-2008, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by JCSSCOBALT
I would not trust any of the salesmen up there they will tell you anything. I do not trust any salesmen period, but those guys up there are just ridiculious. One good thing about getting a black one is that they seriously had almost all black cars when I purchased mine, so finding a non-damage one should not be a problem. As for the price they would not break on it for my cousin or myself, so talking them down might be a problem, but then again it can not hurt to try it.
Well, I think you're talking about the dealership in cleveland. We're talking about one in Chicago area that has a few of the same lot of cars. Maybe they will be more willing to negotiate. I'll go there tomorrow, and post what options the cars have, and what price they're willing to come down to. I'll try and look at the silver one as well to see if there is any visible damage.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:25 AM
RBC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it is just easier than saying used or at least sounds better to them.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:29 PM

Pretty sure I know the dealer you're talking about (cleveland area), I drove down there on Saturday from Michigan and bought a silver 08 SS/TC from them (traded in my 2006 Civic Si). The whole experience was great and I highly recommend them.

They had a whole bunch of them on the lot. I knew about the wind damage thing and did a cursory inspection of each one they had and couldn't find any evidence of damage of any kind. The cars were immaculate.

I did have to sign a waiver saying that the warranty on the paint and weather stripping did not apply. For the price though, I can't complain.

VERY happy with my purchase.

Originally Posted by cossor
Wow! I just called that same dealer yesterday! I'm going out to look at the black one tomorrow. But get this: The salesman on the phone swore to me there was no damage, and I specifically asked about wind damage. That really concerns me that I may have been lied to.

He also told me that the silver and red ones had been sold, which is apparently not true.
I haven't looked since last week, but there were two silver SS/TCs on their website. I purchased one of them (lot#3891) on Saturday. Low rise wing, LSD, no sunroof.

Should be another silver there somewhere.

Last edited by Rownan; 10-29-2008 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Banned

18k is a freaking banging deal for ss/tc I am kind of pissed off that they didn't have them re-done and sold as brand new with all warranties. NOT FAIR ....

Old 10-29-2008, 01:59 PM

which one of u guys got the imperial blue one marked sold on the window when i went to look at it lol it was a while ago
Old 10-29-2008, 03:45 PM

Guys, the "wind damage" is nothing, it is just a GM write off to reduce the price and drop the warrenty on the PAINT ONLY, the paint is flawless. It is just a write off.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:52 PM

I was also wondering what kind of warranty they would offer because they sell them as used. And since they sell them as used I doubt they would give me my supplier discount on top of that price.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by blownss06
I was also wondering what kind of warranty they would offer because they sell them as used. And since they sell them as used I doubt they would give me my supplier discount on top of that price.
nope, they won't honor any discount because the cars are considered used. =(

I get the GM employee discount through my company (we have IT contracts with General Motors) and they would not accept it. Kind of lame, but the cars are already so cheap I didn't complain. The window sticker was in the glove box of my 08 and the MSRP on it was almost 5 grand more than what I paid.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:03 PM

Yea I didnt think they would honor but cant hurt to try. I wonder how long they have had the car, and if I could get them down a little more. I still owe 11,000 on my 06 ss/sc so if I could get like 13-14 for it I would get the new ss for around 17. Just dont know about what kind of financing they would give but I just bought a house and my credit is damn good.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:12 AM

Bump

Anymore info would be great thanks guys.

Last edited by blownss06; 10-30-2008 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-30-2008, 10:22 AM

Go here to find trade-in value.. http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/default.aspx

As far as trade in goes, I was slightly disappointed in how that worked out.

The dealer didn't take my trade-in for a spin, or even sit in it. I spent more work shining it up than I care to admit, and it didn't pay off. Maybe that was wishful thinking on my part, but I was under the impression that presentation was going to be a factor. I even considered putting new tires on it, good thing I didn't!

They already had a number written down on a piece of paper and didn't give me a chance to negotiate. It was a grand less than what I expected.

I was able to squeeze a little more out of it once it got to the finance guy, but for a short time I thought I drove 2 1/2 hours just to take a test drive.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:25 PM
RBC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
They don't care whats done to the car or any thing, as long as its in good shape, but I did see that when they put the car on there web site they were focused on the after market parts that I left on. When I first went in and they said they would give me 9k for it. It was a 06 36k miles perfect conditions, they did drive it but I think it was more so because the guy liked it. I told them 9k is not even close and we ended up getting 13k, witch was still less than I owed, not by much but still less none the less. To get you best money the best way is to sell it your self I just didn't have the time to do all that.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:25 PM

d it.. no paint or body warranty though.. who cares
Old 10-31-2008, 03:24 AM

I went to Parks Chevrolet tonight in Kernersville NC and also looking at a wind damaged TC SS. It was a silver coupe, MSRP was $24,xxx and they were asking $21,xxx w/ 70 miles on the clock. I had read about the cars previously and asked the salesman about it. He was very upfront about it. My concern is if it would affect financing in anyway. Would financing the car be more diffucult because its not considered 'new' hence would I be into used car interest rates which are generally higher.

Anyone have any thoughts on that??
Old 10-31-2008, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Kenny H
I went to Parks Chevrolet tonight in Kernersville NC and also looking at a wind damaged TC SS. It was a silver coupe, MSRP was $24,xxx and they were asking $21,xxx w/ 70 miles on the clock. I had read about the cars previously and asked the salesman about it. He was very upfront about it. My concern is if it would affect financing in anyway. Would financing the car be more diffucult because its not considered 'new' hence would I be into used car interest rates which are generally higher.

Anyone have any thoughts on that??
thats a little stupid, it should be still classified as "new" because u still get full powertrain warranty ect ect.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:50 AM

i also just bought one from pat o'brien in cleveland. unfortunately, after a couple of phone conversations and a 600 mile drive in a rental (without ABS, thanks for the heads-up, AVIS!) through a snowstorm, i didn't find out about the warranty issue until i was handed the waiver to sign. i was also told by my salesman (ron molnar), while i was inspecting the car, that the car was purchased from a dealership in texas. now, he did tell me at that time that it was part of a lot that was written off due to a couple of cars being wind damaged, but he didn't mention the warranty issue. even if he had, it still would have been too late. i'll be filing complaints with the ohio BBB and any appropriate guvment agencies.

aside from the amber lens inside the uncovered headlight capsule falling out within the first couple of days i had it, the car was in the same condition you'd expect any new car to be in on a dealer lot that had been attacked by an idiot with a buffer and no claybar.

Yea I didnt think they would honor but cant hurt to try. I wonder how long they have had the car, and if I could get them down a little more. I still owe 11,000 on my 06 ss/sc so if I could get like 13-14 for it I would get the new ss for around 17. Just dont know about what kind of financing they would give but I just bought a house and my credit is damn good.
credit union. check it out. a $25 deposit into a savings account got me 5.5% for 60.

btw, price on these cars is now $17,750 or $18,025.50 out the door.

here is what is not covered by the warranty based on the labor codes listed under the warranty block:

exterior paint and clear coat

body panels (corrosion)

windshield replacement

all door glass replacement

rear window (backlight) replacement

headlight/foglight aim

headlight capsule/foglight replacement

side markers lights replacement

tailight/backup replacement

CHMSL replacement

license plate light replacement

upper/lower grille replacement

spoiler replacement

all emblems replacement

air inlet grille panel replacement

molding, roof to quarter at weld joint replacement

body side molding replacement

fuel filler door replacement

fascia, upper/lower front/rear replacement

for some reason the sideview mirror and housing, wipers/nozzles are covered. YAY!

this info was provided to me by the lia... people at pat o'brien

Edit: if anyone else goes up there to get one, do me a favor and refuse to deal with ron molnar.

Last edited by TooTanToucan; 01-09-2009 at 10:57 AM. Reason: revenge?
Old 01-09-2009, 10:50 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by TooTanToucan
i also just bought one from pat o'brien in cleveland. unfortunately, after a couple of phone conversations and a 600 mile drive in a rental (without ABS, thanks for the heads-up, AVIS!) through a snowstorm, i didn't find out about the warranty issue until i was handed the waiver to sign. i was also told by my salesman (ron molnar), while i was inspecting the car, that the car was purchased from a dealership in texas. now, he did tell me at that time that it was part of a lot that was written off due to a couple of cars being wind damaged, but he didn't mention the warranty issue. even if he had, it still would have been too late. i'll be filing complaints with the ohio BBB and any appropriate guvment agencies.

aside from the amber lens inside the uncovered headlight capsule falling out within the first couple of days i had it, the car was in the same condition you'd expect any new car to be in on a dealer lot that had been attacked by an idiot with a buffer and no claybar.

credit union. check it out. a $25 deposit into a savings account got me 5.5% for 60.

btw, price on these cars is now $17,750 or $18,025.50 out the door.
Where are you finding this price? I live in Missouri and believe I have seen one of these cars at a dealership west of Springfield. They have it listed at 18,900
Old 01-09-2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
Where are you finding this price? I live in Missouri and believe I have seen one of these cars at a dealership west of Springfield. They have it listed at 18,900
pat o'brien chevrolet in cleveland, OH. they only had a few left. i think i got the last imperial blue one. i had called about a sport red metallic car, but it didn't have the LSD. they do have some black ones left with and without the LSD. all of them are the same price.

http://www.patobrienchevrolet.com/default.aspx?l=5
Old 01-09-2009, 10:57 AM

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/ccc_Displa...#DetailSection

Look at this puppy I found.

Why would an 08 SS turbocharged be sold at auction already. List price is 16,900 from the dealer
Old 01-09-2009, 12:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cossor
Wow! I just called that same dealer yesterday! I'm going out to look at the black one tomorrow. But get this: The salesman on the phone swore to me there was no damage, and I specifically asked about wind damage. That really concerns me that I may have been lied to.

He also told me that the silver and red ones had been sold, which is apparently not true.
the paint will still be like brand new 95 percent of the time wind damage means hail damage but they have dent wizard to come and fix every little ding and the car will look like it came off the showroom floor

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
http://www.carfax.com/cfm/ccc_Displa...#DetailSection

Look at this puppy I found.

Why would an 08 SS turbocharged be sold at auction already. List price is 16,900 from the dealer
just a guess but there was one on ebay that was in a fire at a dealer and the smoke got in the car but nothing else and is being sold on a salvage title for 15,xxx

Last edited by cmiller8006; 01-09-2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-09-2009, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by cmiller8006
the paint will still be like brand new 95 percent of the time wind damage means hail damage but they have dent wizard to come and fix every little ding and the car will look like it came off the showroom floor

just a guess but there was one on ebay that was in a fire at a dealer and the smoke got in the car but nothing else and is being sold on a salvage title for 15,xxx
Well when you check the free car fax report it says it was bought then sold at auction a few months later and is now at the dealership in missouri.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JCSSCOBALT
I would not trust any of the salesmen up there they will tell you anything. I do not trust any salesmen period, but those guys up there are just ridiculious. One good thing about getting a black one is that they seriously had almost all black cars when I purchased mine, so finding a non-damage one should not be a problem. As for the price they would not break on it for my cousin or myself, so talking them down might be a problem, but then again it can not hurt to try it.
pat obrian sells like 150 cars a month there not going to budge because they dont have to, me and my dad went and looked at some new trucks and they wouldnt move, anyone see the zr1 they had there two weeks ago
Old 01-09-2009, 01:07 PM

which dealer is this?
Old 01-10-2009, 06:00 AM

There's a loaded red one in Wisconsin for 15,5 if anyone is interested.

Quick Reply: Wind Damaged SS/TC